1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Television Media Finally Shows Some Spine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Oct 22, 2009.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They all suck. FOX is amateur more than anything imo and that's why I can't stand to watch their news coverage.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The American political landscape has been littered with propaganda since the the pre-revolutionary war pamphleteers. Almost every President has had a feud running with some reporter or news agency. The Free Press is free to say what they want but there is nothing guaranteed about their access

Fox has gone all-in on being the Wingnut Channel, they can't be trusted to report any news or position without spinning, editorializing and demonizing. They don't do interviews without controlling the message with yelling and cutting off the mikw, so why would anybody in this administration bother to talk to them?

And once again, the only people making Fox an issue is Fox.

(When will we stop discriminating against rich old white men?)

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Quit taking the easy way out. Not all politicians or political parties suck equally, nor do all news channels. Make a choice.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why even bother taking Fox on? As I said in the other thread the Whitehouse wields a huge bully pulpit and anytime they comment on something they create an issue out of that.

Going after Fox just makes them more of an issue and mekes them seem more of a threat than they actually are.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've watched the opinion shows and its not even debatable. Regarding the news segments of Fox lets just say they don't lie as much as they are selective with the truth.

I'm not going to defend Fox. They are very very clearly biased but that said for the reasons previously stated I think this is a bad move.

And as been brought up before remember that Bush had more czar's than Obama. You can't blame Obama for the number of czars. This is trend that started with Reagan when he appointed the first drug czar.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think if you are getting worked up that Fox is being shown in the background at your bank shows why Fox is successful. To a large extant in media competition there is no such thing as bad press and if Fox can get people riled up, whether for or against whatever cause they are pushing, guarentees them ratings. This is a strategy that Rubert Murdoch learned long ago from running tabloids.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Then why go after them? Why keep on bringing them up? Why get offended when they are being shown at your bank?

The opposite of love isn't hate but apathy. If Fox wasn't an issue to the Admin or many many people then they would be mentioned about as much as Democracy Now.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Because they are telling lies and calling it news. It is irresponsible and it should be illegal.

I've never known anyone that loved being in the middle of every single argument like you do. The right could be for arresting all Muslims and the left could be for no jails and you'd say, "They both have a point. I think the truth is in the middle."

9. Fatty FatBastard

Have you ever voted republican for anything? No offense, but your stance is more of a "drinking the kool-ade" than a "rational thought guy."

And I don't think you even realize that.

Go into voting booth. Vote "Straight ticket." Leave completely satisfied.

It seems you tend to search more for stances justifying your position than you do for "truth," which is why you're angry with Obama now.

C'mon, broseph. Let's go find a hobby together. It'll make you less pissy.

10. Batman Jones

Have another drink, Fatty.

11. Fatty FatBastard

Coming from you, this is precious.

Answer the question.

12. Batman Jones

13. Batman Jones

To answer your question, I don't think I've ever voted for a Republican, no. But I've never voted straight ticket either.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Like Sam said, other networks will begin to air similar garbage in order to mimic the ratings success Fox news gets.

Fox gets the privilege of flinging 10 lies or rumors, retract one or two when no one cares, then claim credit for scooping the one or two rumors that pans out.

Why is it a privilege? Because they've been blurring the lines of commentary and objective reporting to the point where people accept it's "nutty right wing" Fox. Since the public has short term memory or don't give a ****, we only notice when something gets real bad. That's how they "scoop".

Cable news is getting progressively worse because they're worried they'll be the last party to report. Fox didn't start this, but it's clear the admin does not want wanton partisan rumors making policy before they can handle it.

15. Fatty FatBastard

Again, quite telling, and sad. For example, I have voted for several Dems in the past because I agreed on their merits more than the others.

Neither side is "absolutely" correct on all matters. You need to do some introspection.

Glug, glug, indeed...

16. Batman Jones

You are the master of the drunken strawman argument.

I never said I believed anyone was perfect. I just said I'd never voted for a Republican. Why would I? I disagree with basically the entire party platform.

But that's not what this thread is about. Please start a new one if you feel the further need to derail this one.

17. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I'm starting to get pissed at this administration becuz excluding a press group that THEY don't like IS really UNAMERICAN! Next thing you know they will send you to jail if they don't like your criticisms or jokes about them!! Man, I really don't want to go on that slippery slope! :mad: :confused:

18. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Fox News is the best thing to happen to this country in my lifetime. The White House treated Fox News unfairly. It's a win-win situation. Fox gets a boost in ratings and The President gets the mouth-breathers that appreciate Glenn Beck to drown out any legitimate opposition to his policies. Thumbs and people like him are the driving force behind universal health care, I congratulate the teapartyers on doing their part to create a better America.

1 person likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, but again they didn't exclude FOX, and the previous administration did exclude MSNBC. While the FOX thing wasn't a good move by the administration, it's still an improvement over what we had the last 8 years.

20. Major

Major Member