1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets have tough decision to make on final roster spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I think the spot goes to Pops easily, his leaping ability makes up for the size we don't have.

2. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Pops will win and would be shocked if he didn't. Morey stated earlier that Pops has the inside track to get that last roster spot and his performance and hustle in the Toronto game should seal it. I LOVE what I have seen from Conroy but I'm not sure if we have any room. We need to get rid of Dorsey somehow and open up that spot for Conroy. If Conroy doesn't make the team, I hope some other team doesn't pick him up and we can stash him in our NBDL affiliate.

3. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I don't know whats so tough. I mean none of these guys are gonna sniff the court. Pops is the only one really that has been picked up by NBA team. The rest are rookies and are most likely going to the Developmental league. We really need front court help. We have 2 1/2 pgs already.( T-Mac since he likes to hold and run the offense) we need big guys cuz Yao damn Mings foot has him missing the season yet again

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

GMs should always pick based on talent, not which position is lacking in 'depth'.

That said..I don't think Conroy and Pops are that far apart in terms of potential, so in this case you do look at positional needs.

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I don't always agree with this thinking. I never understood NOT filling a need, or a position of desire. I could understand if you're balanced everywhere, then yes, take the talent. But since the Rockets lack pop and athleticism up front, opposed to PG play or perimeter scoring, then I would rather them take Pops than, say, Beck and Conroy.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Hypothetical situation: Lets say you have the no. 1 draft pick in the country. Your team really needs a PF, and while your SG position is OK, it could be better. With the number one pick, are you going to select the best PF in the draft (who will be an borderline allstar) or the best SG in the draft (who will become a superstar similar to Granger, Kobe, Wade)?

The decision is obvious here, but why should it be any different if the talent gap between your two choices are a bit smaller? You can always get rid of the average player you've effectively replaced with the more talented one by trading him for another average player at the position you're lacking in. So you end up with a superstar and an average player instead of two average players.

This is more of a general argument, I'm not applying it to the Pops v. Conroy debate here since I think they're not that different in terms of the talent they have at their respective positions.

7. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

The choice is easy. Buy out Cook. He gets his money (win for him) and the Rockets can retain two of the players on the bubble.

8. Rockets111

If I reeeeeally need a PF, and the best available is a borderline all-star, then I trade down. So that way I maybe get a PF who, maybe not as good, but is sufficient as well as fill another need if possible.

Not only that, but I don't pay the player I draft as much as I would have by getting that player at No. 1 that I may not have been totally in love with.

I completely understand your thinking. I do, and I can't even argue against it because it makes sense.

But my belief is that, if I have a hole at a position, I need to fill it. I don't want to overstock a particular position because of talent. I really want to address my needs, build a balanced team, and go from there.

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Well, just know its not the Detriot Pistons who usually win the championship, it's the teams loaded with talent (Spurs, Celts, Lakers..) that do. ;)

10. Rockets111

True, but it's not like I'd be filling the needs with scrubs. I like the way the Spurs and Patriots do business, to where they draft the talent, develop it and then hopefully those players do become all-stars and prime-time guys, but they got there from smart drafting and savvy player development.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle Lowry is criminally underrated.

I'm glad DM knows whats up.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Technically, the Lakers and Celtics didn't win championships through DRAFTING talent. The Spurs can say that they've put their team together from the ground up but one cannot think that Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom just fell into their respective teams' laps.

But back on the topic, your argument IS plausible ESPECIALLY when we're talking about the last spot on the roster and a player who might not even get off the bench. You have to go with the best talent first, need second.

13. YugoRocketsFan

14. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pops will probably make the team over Conroy, the team is lacking size.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

And because Scola, Landry and Hayes are undersized.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is not much of a difference between Pops and Conroy in terms of quality,but it should go to the better player even though our need in the frontcourt is bigger than in our backcourt.

18. franchise?..NOT

EZ solution! Dorsey,Cook,Barry,and maybe Taylor for Jackson from GS.

He has been good on a veteran team before.

You never have enough swing guys. Jackson can score a bunch.

We have too many one dimensional 4/5's.

19. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

If size does matter, the team should pick Conroy. Because he give size to back court. But Pops is not taller than other front court players.
    And rockets need backup PG for Lowry.( I still think Brooks is more of SG than PG)

20. hahachui

hahachui Member

Come on, please keep both Conroy and Pops!

Pops > Dorsey
    and
    Conroy passing is damn good.