1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gucci888, Jun 30, 2002.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Since the draft, the Rockets have better positioned themselves for some trades. As rumored to be: Lewis and Odom are probably the 2 most wanted players.

Odom Ups: good passer, can run fast breaks, can rebound, would make Francis and Mobley happy (not something Rocks have to do)

Odom Downs: drug violation, already had a season ending injury, bad shooter, bad freethrows, will want max soon

Lewis Ups: good shooter, strong SF, good rebound

Lewis Downs: Wants the max

For these trades to happen, the Rockets need to free some cap space and lose a PF:

KT: good trade bait and will probably be used, doesn't free up too much space.

Rice: losing the touch, but is still valuable. Would give us a lot of room to work with.

Taylor: good PF, but expensive.

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Let me just say, it pains me to say what I'm about to say. (Three say's in one sentence wtf is that?) I love trades!!! Nothing better than the feeling of getting rid of the old and bringing in something new. Trade, trade, trade..... then trade some more I usually say.

But I really think the team needs to....*gulp*... stand pat. There, I said it. Seriously though, give this team time together so we can see what's what.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree with Htownhero. I think the Rockets had two glaring needs before the draft, center and small forward. They addressed them both. They even got a big third point guard who can defend both guard positions. The only real addition I can see would be a (very) minor free agent acquisition, perhaps someone like Johnny Newman, to provide veteran experience without having to play a lot or take shots. Also, unless the Rockets truly feel that Mo Taylor (injury) and Eddie Griffin (inexperience) are 100% ready to shoulder the whole load at power forward, I'm not so sure they'll trade KT - even though Kenny will likely bolt next summer.

As much as I love trades, I agree that standing pat (generally) would be best.

4. gucci888

Is Kenny a FA next year? If he is, we should trade him now, we might as well get a player for him instead of him just leaving.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

gucci--Much like the Olowakandi situation with the Clippers now, Kenny will be a restricted free agent next summer. Since the Rockets already are committed to Taylor and Griffin at PF, they will not want to break the bank to re-sign Kenny. However, they can match any offer made for him next summer. If they really wanted to keep him but couldnt' commit long-term, they could sign him to a one-year deal with KT becoming an UNrestricted free agent the following summer. Sterling is thinking of doing that with Kandi this offseason.

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Lets keep this team intact!

7. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Who exactly would take on the following contracts:

1. Maurice Taylor. signed a HUGE contract, then missed the entire season. Was overpaid for te stats of 14ppg, 5rpg. Making around 8 mil a season.

2. Glen Rice. Played around 10 games, then missed the rest of the season. Extremely over paid for a 11ppg, 3rpg player. Making around $8.5 mil.

3. Kelvin Cato. The worst player in the NBA making 7.5 mil a season. Now if someone can come into the league making more or equal, that was equally sucky, then maybe we can finally trade this BUM.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

With Nachbar here I really don't see the need in getting Odom or Lewis. He gives the team the same shooting that Lewis would bring and doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time like Odom. We already have enough overpaid stars and one dimentional players that are all offense and not much anything else, we don't any more. The Rockets need some toughness and defense. If they make any trades, I think it should be for players who can help out in those areas. Either that, or they should be trying to trade some big contracts (Taylor, Moochie, Cato) for players with only 1 or 2 years left on their contract.

9. gucci888

'

#9 gucci888, Jun 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2002
  10. gucci888

We did

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) Nobody. When he left the Clippers (to punish them for not giving him a huge contract early) he landed with a big thud. Nobody offered him big bucks. He signed with Houston because he could "showcase his talents" on a team that needs a pf, then try again next year. Maybe I am being to harsh, and Houston signed him to a wink wink deal - low now with a payoff a year later. Perhaps he "showcased" something, but not a lot. Injury kills any momentum, if there was any.

2) Its possible. He is a name. That can draw fans. His salary is gone in two years, so he is a cap space tool. Though I will admit two years is a long wait for that type of thing. Let me ammend It's possible to - not likely, but possible.

3) Anybody who needs a center. Slightly less than average talent for a slightly larger than average salary. And he actually showed some progress. Teams do worse every year. Todd McCollugh, Greg Ostertag, Bryant Reeves are all immediate examples.

12. gucci888

The only 2 people I see getting traded is KT and Rice.

We need Cato for a backup (or starter)
    We need Taylor to handle some of the big guys in the west.

Rice would be great if he wasn't so expensive, he can teach Nachbar a couple things, 1 great shooter teaching another.

KT is a tweener. Not as strong as Taylor, not as tall as Griffin. He is valuable in the trade market. However, LA just picked up 2 young PFs (ready for trading), which could lower KTs value.

13. Hydra

Hydra Member

Shandon Anderson has the exact same contract as Cato, and I don't know about you, but I would take Cato ten times out of ten. At least Cato is tall.

14. german rocketfan

I think teams,who defenitely needs some size would take him.Ok,he's overpaid,but look at all the other big man,who can score,can rebound (ok,taylor isn't the rebounding wonder).Look at Gugliotta,Reeves and other.I think Milwaukee or Seattle (Baker is getting old) would take him,if they don't have to give away so much.

Pat said it,he has a huge name,was MVP of the 1997 allstar game (or 1998???).Many teams still think he could be that good.Yes,
    he is extremely overpaid but has still his name.Rice the MVP.Teams would take him through his experience,too.He's still good for a clutch shot,too.

Cato is overpaid.Cato isn't a good starting center.But Cato has potential,Cato has shot blocking skills and Cato is a dunking monster.He doesn't really suck.He sucks only because of his huge contract.Why teams would take him with his huge salary???See Taylor.Nearly every team that needs size and is in need of a good backup center.

GRF

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Incorrect. Toronto had a deal on the table for him in excess of 24 million (3 or 4 years, don't remember). Falk was the one who shot it down. IIRC, Toronto offered him money before they offered Rashard Lewis and Cuttino Mobley money, and definitely before Mark Jackson signed. Seattle competed with us heavily for his services. The only reason you didn't hear offers for him last year was because he said flat out in the media that he's not taking any offers from outsiders until he hears from Houston.

People are complaining about Francis/Mobley for questioning the Rockets choice. MoT as a FREE AGENT, with no bonds to the Rockets, showed them loyalty, and got injured in a freak accident, while he was apparently in the best shape of his life. It happens.

16. hardeji

hardeji Member

Yeah, I agree with that, German. Cato may not be overpaid when looking around at other teams.

That said, the Rox have made some really boneheaded decisions the past 3 years. Note that I have put "?" to infer the respective stupidity of the decision:

Bryce Drew??????????
    Matt Maloney????
    Glen Rice?????????????????
    Rashard Lewis??????????????????????????????????
    Collier???
    Cato making big bucks?????????????
    Believing Dream's BS????????????????????

It amazes me that the same management that got Francis and EG here, is the same one that, with 3 first round picks, let Lewis fall into the 2nd round! The same management that gave a broken-down shoot-first player like Rice a 3 year $8+ million contract. The same management that thought Drew would be a great player just because he made a lucky 3 to win a tourney game in college. When was the last time you heard about Jerry West making a decision like any of those?

Those decisions alone make their wisdom questionable. Let's hope that they pulled a rabbit from the hat with this draft xoxoxox. I mean, hell, who's not intrigued by Natch and Ming? But come on, neither of those 2 have dribbled the ball in even Div. 1 bball. Anyone who's not worried a little is on prosac or is still on the drug-induced post-draft high.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

No more trades. We have depth at every position. Just give this team time to jell.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hardeji, Hindsight is 20/20:

Bryce Drew??????????

Mid-level first round pick. Always a 50/50 gamble at best. Look over the history of the draft.

Matt Maloney????

The contract was probably a mistake. But he had proven to be a dependable player with big shots in the playoffs.

Glen Rice?????????????????

He had had one bad year before last. Before that he really had been a superstar player with a dependable jump shot.

Rashard Lewis??????????????????????????????????

Every other team in the first round passed on him as well. Obviously no other GM in the NBA though he would pan out, either.
    Collier???

Mid-level 1st round pick, see Bryce Drew.

Cato making big bucks?????????????

Cato is better than half the centers in the NBA and while overpaid, his salary is not that uncommon amond marginally skilled big men in the NBA.

Believing Dream's BS????????????????????

Of course they gave Dream the benefit of the doubt. Do you realize what he has meant to this franchise?? He's the reason Rudy and CD still even have their jobs.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

If we really want to trade any of the players mentioned in this thread (Mo, Rice, KT, and Cato), we should wait until the trading deadline. The trade value for MoT and Rice is pretty low right now (can it get lower???), seeing as both are coming off injuries (and carry high salaries). KT has shown he can be a pretty consistent performer, so I see his value remaning high even when the season starts (and during it). My advice? Don't make a move now. Play 'em, showcase 'em, then trade 'em, if need be. A contender itching to make a move might overpay for KT (and Rice, if he can return to his old form) come the trading deadline. Personally, I think we should keep the team we have. Nachbar, Ming, and (to a much lesser degree) Griffin are not starting material yet, therefore Rice, Cato, and KT need to stay... until at least the trading deadline...

20. hardeji

hardeji Member

"Dear Prudence" (OOPPS!!!), I mean "Dear Patience",

Do you pay good money to see Rockets games every season? I do

Do you get continually frustrated by moves (like the Rice fiasco) that draw the skepticism of nearly every analyst (guys that know slightly more about basketball than us)? I do

Do you wonder why the Rockets (sans EG) have managed to evade the Youth Movement in the NBA (knowing that few legit players are player a full 3 or 4 years in college these days)? I do

Do you want to continue to live in the past (e.g., worship the "Dream" as if you think you'll see him signing books at your local Barnes and Noble upon retirement)? I don't

The future has to be now. I, for one, am sick of the nasally excuses about how they passed over Lewis for Drew, et al, and decided to give Rice the big bucks. Speaking of Rice, he'd been on the wain since '98. Please check stats.

Dude, I'm not trying to diss you. I'm simply saying that I pay money to see them play. I'm getting a little tired of their pechant for bad decisions.