1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem the dream: My life as a Muslim

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vcchlw, Sep 12, 2009.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Someone asked if he was fasting during Ramadan sometime ago and he said no,but he did say his family back in Turkey was,and he is trying to help them.
    I'm sorry I don't have a link.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i wish he wasnt muslim, so we could have a statue of him outside of TC

3. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

One thing that makes Hakeem Olajuwon stand out among Muslims in the mainstream is that he wore the religion on his sleeve unlike many Muslim entertainers and rappers hide their faith and actually do the complete opposite of what Islam stands for. (Akon, T-Pain, Busta Rhymes etc.)

He was a true positive role model for Muslims and Non-Muslims just through his steadfastness in Ramadan and is humble and calm demeanor. He wasn't arrogant, egotistical or stuck up. All the charities he gave money to and the like. He was making millions and it didn't make his head the least bit big.

I remember reading an article where a few years into his NBA career he started to rediscover his faith in Islam which at the time was not a focus to him and he wasn't practicing it. He came into the NBA as Akeem Olajuwon and changed it properly to Hakeem. Someone interviewed him regarding the name change and he simply replied "I didn't change (the spelling of) my name, I corrected it."

I also can never forget that late in his career he got into a fight on the court with an opposing player, I can't remember who. On Fox 26 Marc Berman was all like "When we come back, we'll talk to Hakeem about his fight where he said Satan got the best of him." They went to the interview and a soft spoken Hakeem was remorsefully stating that he made a mistake and all and that he "Fell into the trap of Shaytan". He fell into a trap and slipped up getting into the situation that he could've avoided. Marc was all like "What was that?" and Hakeem just chuckled then said "Satan" :)

I also get into playful fights with my best friend (who is Christian) regarding our respective religions and such and one time I told him that the only reason Houston has championships is due to a Muslim carrying the team on his back so he and all of those that hate on the religion and also happen to be Rockets fans can take that to the bank. :D

4. saleem

The fight was with McDyess.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Not meaning to bump this, but just thought I'd let y'all know.

My friend met Olajuwon today at her "masjid". Not sure what that is. She didn't realize who he was, but knew the name. Had to her inform her of his greatness. Good to know he's still getting around and practicing his faith.

6. kmoney

kmoney Member

masjid is the arabic word for mosque

7. YugoRocketsFan

To each his own, but life is easily better as an Atheist.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

When I am ready to get banned from this website....I will surely respond to this disgraceful post.

phh

9. saleem

I have many friends who are atheists,and I like and respect them,but what you are saying is an opinion.If any person who professes to be a particular faith,were to say the same thing as you, it would be an opinion as well.
    No offense intended.

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I am very glad that Hakeem is Muslim because that is what made him a better player on and off the court. :)

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Us muslims cant have statues of our selves it is like having more than one god

12. saleem

Statues are forbidden for muslims because it's considered as idol worship.

13. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

thats what i meant

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Hakeem the Dream: My Life with Michael Keaton

8 days and 3 pages later, and no one has made this reference yet? :confused: I would have taken the under on 5 posts.