1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Appreciation of Wandy Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Sep 10, 2009.

1. msn

msn Member

An unexpected very bright spot in an otherwise dismal season.

1.20 WHIP and 2.79 ERA? Average over 6 innings per start?

Damn, Wandy. That's good. Damn good.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The brightest spot in a mediocre Astros season. At the beginning of the year, people were questioning whether he was a good #2, saying that he should be a #3 or even #4 starter.

The ERA, btw, is 2.76. He's 5th in the league in ERA, 6th in strikeouts, 7th in wins. Dude has been an ace, all season long. He'd get some Cy Young consideration if he was pitching on a contender.

1 person likes this.
  3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Wandy has turned the corner.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

indeed, nice bright spot to a less than mediocre season

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Him and Bourn have meant so much to this team. We would likely be the worst team in baseball if they hadn't improved so much.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Imagine if the Astros traded Wandy along with Bourn during the offseason like a lot of fans wanted.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you take out his worst 3 starts he has an era close to 2.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Imagine how many wins he'd have with an above average offense behind him. I haven't checked the run support he got game by game but I'm guessing it was below average given that our run production, overall, is below average.

He and Bourn have been co-MVPs. Lee is right there, too.

Wandy leads all Astro pitchers in VORP by a wide margin: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=467771

Bourn actually leads all our position players in VORP now: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=466923

It's nice when stats back up what your eyes are telling you.

I believe Miggy was leading early in the season while Lee has been leading in recent months.

If you're wondering where Kaz is on that list, click Next at the bottom.

#8 BrooksBall, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  9. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

Wandy is a BEAST!

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Good thread. Wandy has been a beast this season.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ok maybe I should have read the post above mine! :D

Anyways, Wandy, Bourne, Lee, Pence & Tejada were the few bright spots this season. Valverde's save numbers are down but his ERA is stellar.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm actually imagining if the Astros should trade him this offseason: 30 year old pitcher. Career year. One year left before FA. His market value can't be any higher.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i agree with the premise unless the astros do something to get much more competitive in the offseason.

however, he may fetch even more towards next year's deadline than he would in the offseason.

also, let me say that i'd be happier if the stros keep wandy! He has been awesome this year, and i appreciate. But just trying to be realistic about what should happen because of the uncompetitive season

14. TheBigAristotle

Definitely. Wandy has been nails in a mediocre season. It's been fun watching him pitch this year.

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Don't forget he's on pace to pitch over 200 innings!

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

He leads the Majors in home ERA, so there still is room for improvement if he can solve the discrepancy between home/road. He's narrowed the gap, but I think Wandy can still be better. To add to that, he also had a brutal stretch where he was tipping his pitches this year. Avoid that, and he'd be a Cy Young candidate.

17. Major

Major Member

Wait - who wanted the Astros to trade Wandy? He was the ideal guy not to trade. He wasn't proven enough to command much on the open market, but he had done enough to show potential for improvement (the whole home/road splits thing) and was dirt cheap in a weak rotation on a team without money.

18. Major

Major Member

To be fair, a lot of that Home/Road split is distorted by 1 start. He's given up 39 earned runs on the road this year - 10 of them were in that one Milwaukee start a few weeks ago.

1 person likes this.
  19. MONON

MONON Member

I'll agree that Wandy & Mike are the main reasons that we aren't at the bottom, but I do have a question. What is VORP? :confused:

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Here's the Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_over_replacement_player

It means Value Over Replacement Player and it's essentially a measurement of runs produced (for hitters) or runs saved (for pitchers) over a replacement-level player.

A replacement-level player is basically a scrub (freely available talent at minimal cost) so a player with a 0 VORP is typically producing below expectations.