1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think we should ADD?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Jun 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Just read a post by Jeff about hearing RT to use the luxury tax to add another roster. If you asked me I will try to trade mooch with Rice and get a serviceable 3 or 4 position. Or just simply pick up someone thats worth to keep. But who?

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Put me on the bandwagon to sign Aaron McGhee.

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

Devean George could come cheap and would be a perfect fit for the Rockets.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Devean George is a three, and with Rice, Nachbar, and TMo, we don't need anymore small forwards. I think the Rockets should look to add a defensive minded SG who can also step outside and hit the long ball and a banger five who plays good defense and rebounds like a mother. Anyone in the free agent class that fits either of these two molds?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

We should cut OT and go after Michael Redd. He did an excellent job backing up Ray "Jee-zuz" Allen. Not to mention if anything happens to Cat, he would be a good starter. His shooting percentages were awesome, 48% FG, 44% 3pt.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Here is a list of some of the free agents we might be interested in...

3. Rashard Lewis, F, Seattle (P)
    The hope of the entire city of Seattle used to rest on this guy re-signing. But after another so-so year, the Sonics aren't so sure anymore that Lewis is their franchise player. They want him back, but at what price? Lewis has been pushing to land with the Rockets. To get to Houston, he'd have to sign for its mid-level exception. The Sonics can offer him a lot more, but they might be better off working out a sign-and-trade.

6. Bonzi Wells, G, Blazers (R)
    He's made lots of enemies in Portland, but since when has that ever bothered the Blazers? Wells' scoring ability is off the charts, but his defense and ability to share with his teammates is a big question mark. The word around the league is that Wells is on the trading block. He may be better off taking a team's full mid-level exception somewhere else. If the Blazers tried to match the offer, Wells couldn't be traded for one year without his permission.

9. Jeff McInnis, SG, L.A. Clippers
    The Clippers' financial issues, along with the emergence of 2000 draft pick Marko Jaric, means that McInnis is gone. With several teams like the Hawks, Warriors, Wizards, T-Wolves, Lakers, Raptors and Magic looking for a point guard, he'll probably get close to the full mid-level exception somewhere.

12. Bryon Russell, F, Utah
    Russell couldn't work out an extension with the Jazz. He has the veteran savvy and shooting touch teams like. In all likelihood, he'll get a decent mid-level offer from a team like the Heat, Nets, Sixers or Spurs.

13. Devean George, F, L.A. Lakers
    Before you start laughing, remember this one fact. Last year we put Eddie Robinson in this slot. The year before that, Rashard Lewis. Our point? Every year there is a young, athletic scorer who will get paid on sheer upside alone. George had an inconsistent year, but his performance in Game 4 of the Finals showed his potential. The Lakers made a major mistake not tendering him an offer last summer. Now George wants to spread his wings a little and get away from the shadow of Shaq and Kobe. With his tough defense and three-point shooting, a team like the Sixers, Heat or Nuggets could make him an offer.

14. Michael Redd, G, Milwaukee (R)
    Again, stop with the laughter. Redd's unbelievable play this year in the absence of Ray Allen has a lot of teams buzzing. He's a good long-range shooter and can put the ball on the floor. Still, the Bucks are determined to match just about any offer.

17. Larry Hughes, G, Golden State (R)
    Oh, how the mighty fall. Hughes's inability to play point guard and poor shot selection have destroyed his stock. Larry Brown mentioned last season that he wished Hughes would be back. Don't be shocked if Hughes is part of the deal for the Sixers' first-round draft pick.

18.Bruce Bowen, G, San Antonio (P)
    Probably played it smart by taking a one-year deal with the Spurs. Things will be much less crowded next year after he's had a chance to start and showcase his talent with a good team. His defense alone will get him a look somewhere.

20. Malik Rose, F, San Antonio
    Rose has been a valiant backup for Tim Duncan these last few years. Is he ready for a more serious starting role? Despite his love for the Spurs, he'll test the market and hope to find a place where he'll get a more serious shot at starting. Look for the Lakers to be near the front of the line. He's given them fits in the past.

Best of the Rest:
    Chauncey Billups, G, Timberwolves (P)
    Tyrone Nesby, WAS
    Troy Hudson, ORL
    Darvin Ham, MIL
    Eduardo Najera, DAL (R)
    Lee Nailon, NO (R)
    Jim Jackson, MIA
    Greg Buckner, DAL

7. tozai

tozai Member

Yes, the only addition needed is a backup 2. Oscar would be fine if he could play well coming off the bench. He was doing good when starting but got thrown out of rhythm and never recovered. By the way, Oscar is a great defender while Redd is not. I wouldn't mind Redd because he can shoot so well and come off the bench for immediate help but I'd rather have OT.

8. D-Up

D-Up Member

Undrafted FA Predrag Savovic

9. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

Did Savoivic workout for the Rox? If so, how did it go?

10. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

How about this: Moochie + KT for a defensive minded PF? What happen to the rumor about Jihidi White from the Wizards. Maybe J.White & Future 1st rounder for Moochie & KT. I LIKE IT!!!!!

11. tozai

tozai Member

Yeah he did, don't know how it went. Do we really need another shooter though? I've seen this guy play and don't particularly remember versatility or defense. If we're going to get a shooter might as well get Michael Redd. IMO we should get a defensive-minded SG...Oscar was pretty good defensively so if he's been improving might as well keep him...

12. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

To put all this Moochie trade talk in perspective, I think Moochie is definitly capeable of being a very serviceable backup pg. I have bashed his decision making before but it's really not all that bad. Kenny was even talking about how good he was at the draft and saying he was good enough to start on many NBA teams which after a little thought, I agreed with. We just take it for granted that we have a pretty damn good backup pg and want Jason Kidd to come be our backup. However, with the drafting of Titto Maddox, I think it woudl be wise to cut Tierre Brown and keep Maddox and see if he's got what it takes to be a backup pg in this league. It looked like he could penetrate with the best of 'em.

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I would take Deavan Goerge or Bryon Russell anytime!

14. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

I'd like to see a defensive-minded backup 2 who also had the size to share minutes at the 3 with Boki and TMo in case Rice goes down. Wait, that sounds kind of like OT!

15. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Here is a link to ESPN's list of people who are being shopped.

ESPN Trade rumors

Depending on what the other team is asking I would look into:
    Van Horn
    Fortson
    Posey
    Dale Davis and Bonzi Wells
    Keon Clark
    Jamal Crawford

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd take Bruce Bowen if he would come off the bench. We need defense first and foremost and experience in the playoffs is almost as important. Bowen brings both, as long as it was relatively cheap.

17. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

We need a defensive 2 or 3,Mobley can't play D and neither can Nachbar(from Clutch's report). It doesn't matter if we score 120pts if we allow 121 we still lose.(just an analogy-i don't think we will score or give up that much)

18. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Tmo will be our defensive minded sf and he's much younger than Bowen and has more potential.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Is Doug Christie still on the block? I suppose he'd be much more expensive than the MLE, however? Problem is he's starter material and we don't have a slot for him.

All our positions are filled. We need grit (ala Elie), we need experience (ala Drexler), we need defense (ala Maxwell). Of course you could almost interchange any of those names.

That's why I hope Rice has a good season so he can perhaps fill the grit and expereince rolls. Chrisite fills all 3 roles. I don't want Lewis.

But a good center masks poor team defense. I hope that is the case here. Time will tell as some question his shotblocking.

20. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

I'd like to pick up Dale Davis and Bonzi Wells. I wish we could unload Cato or KT and Rice to them.