1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man slaps stranger's crying child

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. Valdez, Sep 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kids do cry and every parent I know is embarrassed and tries very hard to get them to calm down, no one likes a crying baby or kid, especially the parents.

I just got back from Europe and on my 10+ hour flight to London I had a crying baby in the seat right behind me.

Naturally, I was in the business class cabin, :D but some people had the most exasperated look on their faces.

I could hear the parents all the way there trying like hades to try to calm the kid down, it just did not work.

I put on my bose headset (you get those in the front cabins) and those still did not drown the rascal out.

So instead of getting a good sleep and flipping my clock like I had planned, I got no sleep and was exhausted on the first day.....

So, what happened? Got a few pints of beer in me with some friends, laughed about it, and thought....well, that is just the luck of the draw.

I am sure the parents were mortified....but sometimes life tosses you a curveball.....even in business class.

Heh.

DD

2. DaDakota

Ah, I missed your point, my apologies....I blocked this site from their computer due to the lack of respect shown by some people here.

DD

3. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Thanks for being understanding! My kids are relatively quiet as they run up and down the aisles. The thing about children in airplanes is that they are usually expressing how the rest of us feel. But we can't get away with running in the aisles or crying because the food is so inedible :(

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said earlier in a post. You have no friggin idea why the kid was crying. In fact, it's none of your damn business. If it the crying kid bothers you report it to the management of the store.

I have an autistic son who has random outbursts and I can't tell you how many times some dumbass has said something or gave us some funny look not knowing my son has a mental condition. My son looks perfectly normal and that makes some people think they have a right to pass judgement on his behavior.

I had a friggin guy curse me for legally parking in a handicapped space recently because he didn't think my severely autistic son was handicapped. When I politely explained the situation to him that my son was handicapped, the idiot kept telling me no he wasn't handicapped. He said Autism isn't a handicap. He kept b****ing about a-holes like me who park in a handicapped space and that prevents his mother from parking there.

And yes if he or you for that matter put a hand on my son, I'd straight up beat ass. When you get to be sixty years old, you would think along the way the way the guy would learn some restraint and not put his hands on someone's kid. He deserved to get his ass kicked. Men of any age know better to put their hands on some other mans wife or kids.

I'd suggest that you don't be a douche by pretending you know why that kid was crying or if there was anything that parent could have done to prevent it. When you become a father, you may get a damn clue.

5. T-man

T-man Member

Sorry manny, I have just been hitting return for paragraphs. In the future I will make sure to use MLA format on Microsft Word for spellchecking and double spacing with a tab key for new paragraphs. Sorry, was not aware we needed to go college essay format on an internet message board. I do see where I can hit return twice in the future, though.

6. DaDakota

Not in Biz and First class....the food is great....we even get an ice cream sundae for desert.

I buy coach class, but I have over 500k of miles I use to upgrade......if you have to travel a lot (which ultimatly is not all that great) you might as well do it in style.

And I have kiddos too.....but mine are now 6 and 10....and while noisy, they are not big on crying.

DD

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It's not an act of God. It's typical behavior of a 2 year old. Little children throw tantrums and cry because they are young and don't understand consequences. They're just beginning to learn how to push boundaries.

You want to know what makes that kind of behavior worse and more frequent? Reacting to it. If you take them out of the store, make over them, or give them something they'll learn that throwing a tantrum produces a positive result.

The best thing to do is to ignore the behavior. It's frustrating as hell, and I'm always mortified when my child does it. However, I try to be 100% consistent with how I deal with my children.

If it happens at a grocery store, deal with it. A movie theater (which I would never even try until they're older) or a restaurant is another matter. Flying is a whole other issue, since you're confined in a tight space and don't really have the option of leaving the plane mid-flight.

It's just really ignorant to say a parent should pacify they're child when they're throwing a tantrum, because that's usually the worst thing you could do.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Welcome to Walmart where everything you need in life is all crammed under one roof, on occasions you will get a merciless screaming baby in a shopping cart... but don't let that bother you because now we have Express Checkout Line, where you can ring up the items yourself...

9. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

In some of the French grocery stores there was an express line specifically for pregnant mothers and mothers of young children. I loved it! And I'm sure other people appreciated not having to wait in line behind a cranky toddler.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well meggoleggo and I thank you. And for the record (your cat hating rhetoric aside), I do like reading your posts. And I am sure that last post of yours (the one before the one I am quoting now) was a work of art, but we can't say that the Mona Lisa is a masterpiece if we can't view it, can we?

It's the same principle with a "T-man" post on the BBS - we can't regard it as a masterpiece if we can't read it.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would beat his arse if he touched my kid...he has no right touching a child that isn't his own...Grumpy Old Man...

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The US Constitution never specifically mentions self defense. I don't know the Texas Penal Code and would be curious to see what language they use in regard to self-defense but that doesn't matter in this case since it didn't happen in Texas. In most states they use the language that I used to describe what is a legal self-defense.

[rquoter]“It is a settled doctrine of the law that if one be attacked he may defend himself using no more force than may be necessary to repel the attack; but should he go beyond this, and use more than necessary, he becomes a trespasser himself, and his assailant, though first in the wrong, may maintain against him an action for damages.”

Indiana law[/rquoter]
    This doesn't mean:
    Yes if someone slaps you or your kid yes you can respond but you can't shoot them. This isn't either you can do nothing or anything goes.

As far as what qualifies as a sane cop or DA that might depend on what political winds were like in that district but the law in most states is fairly clear and a situation where you kill or severely injure this man for slapping your kid, especially when as the report indicates the only injury to the kid is some redness in the face, you have moved beyond self-defense. Whether you get convicted or not is another matter.

#132 rocketsjudoka, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's right, you can only shoot them if they are stealing your neighbors stuff.

Signed,

Joe Horn

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said I don't know the Texas law so maybe in Texas you can shoot someone for slapping your kid.

15. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

SAVE THIS THREAD! As a possible future defense for beating the crap out of someone who hurt your child.

As I understand it, apart from self defense, another legal excuse for hurting someone is provocation. But provocation doesn't entitle you to do anything you want. Every circumstance is different but as a guideline your actions have to be inline with a reasonable or average person's response. Apparently the reasonable response is to pummel someone for touching your child or going anywhere near your child if they look like Al Bundy. It's hard to get accurate research data to back up your defense so hopefully this thread can sub in for a more expensive study.

16. T-man

T-man Member

Rocketsjukoda, At what point did I say anything about shooting them? thats some serious twisting of stuff up to fit your point

17. T-man

T-man Member

Since you bring up the shooting. Good Luck even getting anything done to the shooter there. If the cop arrested and the DA prosecuted and the judge accepted the case, it would end in the next phase. Do you honestly think they will find a group of 12 people to all convict a person in that case?

Just imagine a mom or dad on the stand crying saying, the man was obviously deranged, he was hitting my 2 year old daughter repeatetively in the face. I was scared he was gonna kill her. I had no idea how far he was gonna go or what he was gonna do next. I did the only thing I could do to protect her. I have to live with this guilt, but I would do it again in a heartbeat as I am sure most in my position would have. It would be heartfelt too, because they are telling the truth.

Imagine the media storm before the trial actually began. There would be immense pressure to just drop the case before it even started. The parent would already be the sympathetic figure, and rightly so.

18. aghast

aghast Member

Oh, crap. Did I say 6'oclock today? I meant 6 o'clock next year (you know, after I put in some training, and learn how to fight & stuff.)

Next year. 6 o'clock. St. Paul Target. Electronics department. My obnoxious nephew, wailing his butt off by the Chinese-made flat panels.

The H is P(ostponed, due to general cowardice of the poster).

The H is P.

19. TraJ

TraJ Member

I haven't read though the posts in this thread, but I'm sure my view is the same as many others. If someone did this to my kid, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to control myself.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sorry I didn't mean to say you would shoot him just using that as the extreme example in regard to self-defense.