1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] David Kahn: Rubio backed out of agreement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

"RUBIO", starring Ricardo Montalban as Ricky Rubio and William Shatner as disgruntled Minnesota fan.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRnSnfiUI54&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRnSnfiUI54&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

I'm all for people maximizing self-interest, but not at the cost of breaking obligations/deceit. If I rob a convenience store and get away with it, is that okay?

I also don't like whiners and babies who think that they get to play by a different set of rules than everyone else. This is the same principle at work as in the Boozer case, in my opinion. Yet the fan reaction couldn't be more different.

While I think that Orlando should have known better when they drafted Fran Vasquez in 2005, the deception here is even greater. Why would Minnesota have drafted him?

It hurts the prestige of the NBA when international players commit to the draft for the only purpose of winning a bargaining chip to negotiate with teams in Europe. David Stern: for once in your life, do something!

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

do you know what was the actual verbal agreement between Rubio and Khan and if Rubio really promised anything?

apples to oranges

apples to oranges unless anyone knows what was actually agreed upon or commited to. it goes both ways, players like barkley and artest say the rockets organization didn't fulfill their promises too. point is never make your decisions on something not written on stone/paper..

teams commit to players too as a bargaining chip and not push through with it

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

No, it's part of the rules, players rights are still held by the team. You think if Ricky knew he didn't have the option of sitting out a few years he'd still take the risk and enter the draft? Once again, he's playing by the same rules, there is no rule that says he has to play for the team that drafted him. Your analogy is faulty.

It's much more like a college kid that accepts a position at a company, and then decide they might need a couple of extra months/years off (i.e. I'd like to take a year off and go visit Europe before I don't have the ability to do so anymore).

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

This line is a joke. There is no prestige in the league. People in the NBA try to sell you that everyone wants to play in the NBA because of the 'prestige'. People want to leave their homeland and come to a foreign country and speak a new language and adjust to a new culture because of the 'prestige'. That's a bunch of bull.

Guys come to the NBA because the NBA pays the most money and NBA salaries are guaranteed, THE END. The only reason Rubio hesitated this long was because he wanted to get to his 2nd NBA contract faster. In the end he realized he couldn't take the injury risk, IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY. As it should be.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Teams do it all the time. Do you have an issue with it then? "Hey Mr. Free Agent. We love you and want to build around you. Come make Houston your home. Oh, we aren't happy with you for whatever reason....off you go".

He isn't a whiner or a baby. He is a basketball player that has another option besides the NBA, and that other option pays more.

The key word is international. The NBA has to compete with teams in foreign countries if they want their foreign players. I see nothing wrong with players using all of their options, because the teams do it all the time.

7. aghast

aghast Member

Wait, Rubio didn't want to lose money in the NBA to play in the hinterlands of Minnesota, and wanted to make a profit in Spain instead? What is he, some sort of commie?

On the other hand, he will still be stuck with a rookie contract if he does come over in two years, which means he's prolonging and additional two years until he can sign for a big payday. That's, of course, assuming everything goes well, and he can play in the NBA; I agree that this was the smart move short-term for him, insurance against possible injury.

That's the first time I've encountered the phrase "evil-gasm," to describe Khan's last breath there. I can't think of a better descriptor.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Personally, I think the mistake with kahn isn't that he drafted Rubio, but rather he refused to trade him following the draft. I can see this happening if he was Jerry West or Popovich, someone who has such job security he can literally wait two years for a prospect. But Kahn is likely going to be fired in two years if the team keeps sucking and fans stop showing up.

Barcelona's contract makes it pretty difficult for Rubio to come over even after two years. If anything, Kahn needs to hope that Rubio DOESN'T develop much in two years, so that the NBA rookie salary is actually enticing. Because let's face it, the chance that Rubio is going to develop into a max contract player in Minnesota is pretty slim.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That notion Rubio would develop into a max contract player ANYWHERE is slim. Why would his chances in Minnesota be lower than anywhere else?

10. worzel gummidge

all players are automatically entered into the draft when they reach a certain age. they can be drafted whether they want to be or not.

rubio may be a voluntary entry into the draft but minnesota had the choice not to draft him or hold onto his draft rights.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, I never said his chances would be better elsewhere. I just said Minnesota because that's his team. I could've used "NBA" instead. Because it's more or less a comparison between certain money(~10 mil/yr in Europe if he flourishes) vs uncertain money(~$4 mil per year for 4 years and then ???).

But that said, you really don't think Rubio would benefit from a team with a more structured offense and more weapons to pad his assist stat with? I can see how a wing player or even a big man can put up big numbers anywhere. But I can't see how Rubio can flourish on a crappy team.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. worzel gummidge

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Understood.

Nearly all high drafts picks start out on "crappy" teams. If Rubio is destined for stardom, he will be fine in Minnesota.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he wasn't ready for the NBA,he shouldn't have entered the draft. I doubt that he would have gone to Minnesota even if he didn't have buyout issues. He made that very clear on draft day. I know we benefited by getting Francis,but his behavior wasn't right either.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

He would have went to Minny if there was no buyout.

It's not a matter of being ready, it's a matter of protecting himself financially. What player would play 2 years for free and risk getting injured and have that be his final contract? The names Shaun Livingston and Jay Williams come to mind as promising point guard prospects that never hit their 2nd contract because of injury. Imagine if Livingston or Williams had played their rookie deals for free. As a parent, financial adviser, or anyone that has the kid's best interest at heart, you just cannot recommend he make such a move, not when there is a much better option at hand.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh come on....a player should do whatever is in their own interests...Minny knew the risks.....

They still have his NBA rights.

DD

18. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Minnesota could of had Flynn and Stephen Curry balling side by side right now. Who wants to come to the NBA and be stuck in Minnesota.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....actually, I think the thing you didn't consider here is this: There is no guarantee that after the new collective bargaining agreement is negotiated the rookie contract pay scale is going to be the same. If anything it would be lower given the economy and in THAT case Rubio(or more accurately his agent) looks like a genius for entering this year's draft even if he wasn't ready to come to the NBA just yet. Hell, a lot of insiders speculate that there will most likely be a lockout between now and when Rubio gets here that may shorten the season(remember the Hakeem, Pippen, Barkley year?).

...if he wanted to wait out his contract for two years and THEN enter the draft, there was no guarantee he would be a top 5 selection or that he would even be paid the same if he were a top 5 selection. In that light, it makes good business sense for him to have entered this past year's draft.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

announcing you are eligible for the draft does not mean you have agreed/commited to sign a contract with the team that picks you no matter what