1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dick Vitale Gives Us an Incomplete Draft Grade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You know something...despite being a big Duke tool, I do like listening to Vitale because he is entertaining, but damn, this guy is clueless about talent going to the NBA.

Heat 'steal' Butler; Wiz score with Jeffries, Dixon
    By Dick Vitale
    SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM

June 26
    Now that the draft day is complete, and several players were fortunate enough to shake NBA commissioner David Stern's hand, it's time for a few thoughts on the action from New York City ...

The fans have to be dancing with joy in Miami. Get ready down at South Beach for the arrival of Caron Butler. He was flat out the big-time steal of the draft. There was no way he should have fallen all the way to No. 10. Could this be another Paul Pierce situation? Think back to 1998, when Pierce fell down to the Celtics at No. 10, and Boston was happy to land the Jayhawk star.

Miami Heat coach Pat Riley will greet Butler in an Armani special. Riley will love Butler's athletic prowess and desire. I loved watching Butler during the NCAA Tournament, and he can be something special at the next level.

How about a salute to the Washington Wizards! Michael Jordan, Wes Unseld and company did themselves proud by taking Jared Jeffries and Juan Dixon. Both have talent, a winner's mentality and superb character. They should be a great asset as Washington drives for a playoff berth next season.

The Denver Nuggets quickly solidified their frontcourt with an All-U.N. duo of Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Nene Hilario. They bring great size; plus, the addition of Marcus Camby in the Antonio McDyess trade with the New York Knicks helps up front.

I was shocked to see Dajuan Wagner go ahead of Butler, Chris Wilcox and Jeffries to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Wagner has game, and with playing time he will score. He's capable of putting points on the board in the NBA because the 24-second shot clock is made for his style. Could this pick mean the Cavs will deal Andre Miller? It could be tough to play Miller and Wagner together in the backcourt.

Another interesting team was the Los Angeles Clippers. They already have Elton Brand, so it was surprising to see them select Wilcox and Melvin Ely, unless a trade is coming. The Clippers have a slew of talented players, and a deal would make sense. Maybe one for Miller?

Two of the bigger surprises in the first round were Freddy Jones at No. 14 to the Indiana Pacers and Ryan Humphrey at No. 19 to the Utah Jazz (Humphrey was later traded to the Orlando Magic). Jones is very athletic, and it will be interesting to see him progress with the help of Reggie Miller. Humphrey is a superb choice because of his toughness, shot-blocking ability and desire to attack the glass. Many thought Jones and Humphrey would go early in the second round.

I was a little surprised that the Milwaukee Bucks chose Marcus Haislip at No. 13. He is excellent in transition, but I thought the Bucks would go big inside and pick Stanford's Curtis Borchardt, who slid down to No. 18 (Orlando).

The Chicago Bulls made a super pick in Jay Williams. I give the Houston Rockets an incomplete because I don't think we have heard the last of the soap opera that is Yao Ming.

I agree with him on Butler being a steal for the Heat, but I was ROTFLMFAO about his assessment of the Wizards draft!!

Juan Dixon was considered a major reach at #17 by many draft experts. Oh...I forgot that Juan played at Maryland...Vitale's all-time favorite conference....:rolleyes.

And here he doubts the pick of Ming but praises the Nuggets for getting Tchisk..and Hilario??!! Double ROTFLMFAO!! Ummm...Dick, don't you know that the Nuggets will probably finish with the worst record in the NBA next season. For the record, I think Denver did the right thing, but to criticize the selection of Ming and then praise the selection of not one BUT two international players like he did with Denver is incredibly ignorant, IMO.

Guess that is why he became an announcer instead of a GM & after winning only 30 games with the Pistons over 20 years ago, I doubt people were breaking down his door to ask him to coach their teams.

Newsflash to Dickie V...don't quit your day job, buddy!

2. dutchbut

dutchbut Contributing Member

Well you have to give DICK credit.. he gets paid... yeah BABY thats what im talking about.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Can Dick even spell NBA?

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Dick Vitale lost all of his credibility about 3 or 4 years ago.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I give him an incomplete for his hair.

6. tbagain

tbagain Member

Vitale is giving Houston an incomplete because of possible conflicts between the Rockets and Chinese Basketball officials.

If Vitale did not like Ming as the number 1 pick because of talent, then he would have said so- he would not have brought up the politics.

Therefore, if we subtract the possible negotiation problems, Vitale must like the Rocket's choice of Ming.

7. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Maybe he is not taking a jab at Yao's ability, but the baggage that he may carry?

If that's not the case, than he might want to consider re-wording his article.

He praises Nikoloz Tskitishvili, and eventhough he plays for a strong Benetton team in Italy, he is still a guy who comes off the bench with very mimum output. Nikoloz Tskitishvili also did not start playing basketball until he was 15. I am not doubting his potential as he is often praised upon, but he is not going to quicky solidify Nuggets front court, and is more so a project than Yao.

Same thing applies for Nene Hilario. He is big, extremely atheletic, and yes, has potential, but his output in the Brazilian league that is comparable to China's CBA has so far been merely average. He will be a good defender right away, but so far he lacks all forms of offensive moves apart from dunking, thus just like Tskitishvili, he will take time to develop.

Yao who dominated CBA league like no one before him at only 21 (with a combination of size and skill), in addition to his 4 years of international experience, will help solidy Rockets front court quicker than the two highly regarded rookies mentioned above. In other words, he will have more impact in his rookie year.

-G'day-

#7 C-Kompii, Jun 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Exactly. Great post, C-Kompii. You did a great job pointing out why it was laughable to praise the Nuggets but to give us an "Incomplete". I guess Nachbar doesn't count nor Maddox, huh Dickie V??

BTW - C-Kompii, are you from the Land Down Under??

9. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Yeah, I am down here in Melbourne, and its almost 4am here! Just can't stop crunching in all the draft stuff after I have been out all night. ;)

btw, Nachbar is one of the starters in the Benetton team, but Tskitishvili was taken earlier for his higher potential (younger plus size & agility)

-G'day-