1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Yao Ming WILL succeed - and we will win a championship soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Let me just chime in here on something. I have some experience with the Chinese culture, although I am not Chinese. I currently attend school to study Chinese Medicine (acupuncture and herbal medicine) here in Houston. The school is owned by a Chinese couple and is staffed by mostly Chinese instructors, all of them high-quality individuals that are great teachers and mentors.

Also, let me preface this by saying that I realize some of these things will sound like generalizations, and they are for the most part. But, hopefully we can all agree that generalizations can be useful and that there ARE certain things that do apply generally within different cultures, religions, etc... although there are always differences within those generalizations. So, now, let's proceed.

Yao Ming will be a refreshing addition to the NBA because of his culture and upbringing. In China, there is still a great deal of cultural respect for elders, for wisdom, and for tradition. The Chinese also have a work ethic that is second to none. I have seen this first hand in my experience at school. There is a striving for excellence and respect that is mind boggling to the average Westerner (such as myself).

What does this mean for the Rockets? Yao will work on his game harder and with more focus than anyone we have ever seen. He will have the utmost, unwavering respect for Rudy T and the Rockets coaching staff. He will treat his teammates with deep respect and will always be a "team-first" player. I believe this is one of the main reasons he was drafted first.

There is a story about Yao where he went to a summer camp in the US about 3 years ago (one of Michael Jordan's camps). The coaches had to beg him to dunk the ball. He didn't want to dunk because he didn't want to "show off" or try to "stand out". He just wanted to blend in with the other guys, and in his mind dunking a lot meant he was trying to shine at the expense of his teammates. He has since learned that dunking is part of the entertainment and now dunks with regularity (as evidenced by some of his highlight videos).

When a guy with the kind of natural gifts that Yao has -- 7' 5", athletic, smart, and a basketball pedigree (remember - his Mom and Dad were both basketball players both professionally and for China's National Teams) -- has that kind of mentality, it is almost a guarantee that he will rise to the challenges presented to him. Yao will impress not only with his basketball skills, but with his sincerity, honesty, and humility. He will be VERY respected around the league and by the media.

And, within the next two to three years he will emerge as the most dominant center in the game (by then Shaq will be on the decline, IMO).

I for one have been a Yao booster for a long time, as you all know. I'm really looking forward to his presence on our team. I think it will make our team better not just in a basketball sense, but in a chemistry sense also.

2. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

I agree.

When Yao just entered CBA at 17, he was very very skinny and was often knocked around by other older players as they saw him as an easy, tall target. This did not deter Yao. A few years has passed, and the same players who knocked him around back than are getting knocked around by him now. This is the same guy who was reportely knocked down to the floor 14 times in a match only a few years ago, has turn himself around and became the most dominant player the CBA has ever seen at only 21.

So if you think Yao will be detered and go hiding when he get banged around by NBA players, you might have to think again.

He is commited, and team oriented, and I think this kid will make great strides in his NBA career.

-G'day-

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I agree, Ming's work ethic will be unparalled. Maybe he can rub off on some of our other players (read: Cato)

another thing to consider is Rudy won 2 championships with a real big man in the middle... maybe Rudy excels at this type of coaching!

All I know is I'm REALLY looking forward to the next few years of Rocketball!!

[​IMG]