1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao quitting CNT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buzz1701, Aug 29, 2009.

1. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I know there has been a lot static about this, but in this week's issue of ESPN the Magazine:

"Even if Yao makes a successful return to the NBA after his foot surgery, his playing days with the Chinese national team are over. The team's grueling practice schedule - Yao played in three Olympics for his homeland - may well have contributed to his foot issues. Enough is enough."

I don't know where ESPN got this information, but I for one hope it's true. I still feel the reason for his stress fractures was playing ball year round.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Reminds me of Hitler founds out about Yao's injury :D

Anyways, hope this is true.

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I doubt that Yao will leave CNT that easily, it's all about pride and patriotism so even though media is pushing Yao not to play there's a high possibility that he'll play again so I don't believe anything about not playing unless I hear it from Yao himself.

4. HPD

HPD Member

"THEY" are a Communist country.... not that easy to say no to

5. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Wang ZhiZhit until Yao is healthy haha

6. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

edited

7. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

I heard that rumor regarding Yao's leaving CNT before,just didn't confirm it.Hope this is true for one,because I don't want him to play basketball all year round with out any rest,which may prolly cause damage to his left foot. :(

BTW,it's not easy but I think it's possible.Yao's contributed to CNT for his entire career before going down again with his left foot problem,maybe they've already reached an agreement behind closed doors?? :confused:

8. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

We should just make a robotic version of Yao Ming, and which ever Yao is better the Rockets will use.

9. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Whats the point of having Yao on their national team anyways??
    they are good enough to give other asian teams asskickings WITHOUT Yao but they are never great enough to challenge most European or American teams even WITH Yao on the court.

10. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Not exactly as good as that of when Yao's on the inside to give the National Team a presence.Yi Jianlian is not good enough to handle the defense against the opposing center like Iran's Haddadi.You can just check out the Asian Championship half month back,in which China was blasted inside the paint area by Iran and outrebounded from start to finish.

11. noairer

noairer Member

I also don't hope yao plays for the national team any more though IM Chinese,But not becase CNT are good enough, they just got asskicked in Asian cup by Iran in the final,by a margin of nearly 20points.
    It's that we rely on Yao too much, it put so much presure and workload on him while other players dont develop, get 7th or 8th place in world stage doesnt mean as much to our fans as Finals or ring in NBA.

12. heyangw

heyangw Member

What an idiot!

13. ludingji

ludingji Member

its not merely about communist,but its about chinese philosophy-confucianism. yao can stop playing for CNT but he has to be willing to play for his national team deep down inside. thats a true man in chinese culture, which u can never understand without coming to china urself to experience it.

14. panda8six

panda8six Member

i dont know why no one here realizes that it's an honor to be selected to play for your country. if lebron james didnt want to play for team USA because he wants rest, he would be blasted by the media.

there's this idea that yao was an idiot for rushing himself back to play for the national team during the olympics. but think about it for a second. he was a flag bearer for the nation hosting the olympics, a nation taking the world stage and emerging as a world power, in a sport that's quickly becoming the national pastime.

being able to do that will mean different things to different people. lots of people consider the olympics outdated. but yao's experience in beijing 08 was truly once in a lifetime and im sure he wouldn't change any of it.

15. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

They are Americans. It's not that easy to stay in shape.

16. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

I don't mind Yao playing for the Chinese NTY, but he does not need to play all meaningless tournaments and the FIBA qualifiers, he should only play on the olympics and worlds........

17. HPD

HPD Member

U must not know ur political history SON.

18. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

could this mean that Ramon Sessions is going to the Chinese National Team?!?!

...Sura faints

19. foo82

foo82 Member

I highly doubt it. Any decision made by Lebron James, the media will back. Also, it isn't unusual for US players to decline to play in the Olympics. Quite a few have done so.

20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Excellent post.

Count me as one of those idiots who thought Yao should miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience like his home country hosting the Olympics.

That's why Yao's a better man than me.....