1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&B Draft Party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by edc, Jun 27, 2002.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Anybody else a little disappointed in the D&B turnout?

The ballroom was fairly well filled, but there was still
    plenty of standing and "moving around" room. The
    game room was only a little more crowded than any
    weekend night. (ie: many more folks than a usual
    Wed., but nowhere near packed)

If you didn't get to attend, the biggest bang of the
    evening was immediately after the Ming pick was
    announced. Chinese Lion Dancers, streamers, and
    popping noise makers went off while cameras rolled.

The rest of the evening was more or less a live broadcast with
    Gene Peterson and Calvin Murphy leading. Moochie sat with them
    for about 20 minutes, and Cat got up briefly. Tierre and a
    representative from Gallery Furniture showed up later.

A good time, but the old draft parties (at the Summit and at Aerial) were
    probably a bit better.

2. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

A "Gallery Furniture Rep"?????? WTF?

I hope you mean Westside. Gallery Furniture is a blight on this city...

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WAS MO THERE . . .AND HOW DID HE LOOK???

Rocket River

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

You do realize that Gallery was a driving force behind those nice facilities at Westside right??

While I will agree that Mac is an irritating ass, he seems to be a big Rockets fan..

but then again...it could be a marketing act...
    but I try not to listen to them pessimistic voices in my head ;)

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to the Chron, it was the biggest turnout a Rockets' draft party has ever had - over 1900 total.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Do they show the same highlight video there as the one on CC site? Chron memtioned something with the HERO song.

7. ClockworkOrange

I had a good time! First draft party I attended and I heard they showed my small, small interview on channel 2...haha! If I knew they were actually going to play my footage, I would have said yeah Clutchcity.net! Woooo! :)

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

yup, theyplayed the same one, and it was SO COOL TO SEE ON NATIONAL TV. Super congrats to whomever put that video together (I never got the name of the producer/artist).

I printed out a piece of paper that read "ClutchCity.net" and started walking up to random people asking them is they knew about and/or went to the site. I got a lot of people who had heard of it and who had visited on occasion, but I couldn't find any regulars. I was really hoping to meet some of you people, too.

It was great fun and it was FANTASTIC to be around Houston Rocket hometown fans. I can't really recall being happier to be a sports fan.

Great work and GO ROCKETS!

9. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Maybe the Dancing Dragons will be at the airport when he arrives on US soil.

Ming has been tagged by Mac to sell recliners now...But hey with all the money he is giving away he will be able to furnish his pad for free!

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

First off, those bastards in the advertising department should have mentioned that you HAD TO BE 21 to attend or had to bring your guardian. I was pretty pissed off. I went up there hyped up with my Griffin jersey on, got my red #1 hand foam and last year's yearbook at the front door, then got carded at the door. I was like WTF? I was kinda expecting it cuz this IS Dave and Busters. I was pretty pissed off leaving but managed to watch the draft at my friend's apartment.

BTW, the Hero video is now on the Offical Rockets site.

11. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Dave2000 your not alone many were turned away, however these rules lack proper info not to mention PR department screwed up once again.

Guests under the age of 21 (legal drinking age) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (a person 25 years of age or older who agrees to be responsible for the conduct and safety of the underage guests).
    One parent or guardian can accompany up to a maximum of four underage guests.
    Underage guests must remain with their parent or guardian. Our other guests appreciate this and our insurance carrier requires it.
    Underage guests are welcome to stay until 10:00 p.m. and until 11:00 p.m. during summer hours(from Memorial Day through Labor Day), unless already seated in the Dining Room.

Everyone who got turned away give the PR department a call tomorrow and complain like you never complained before.
    The Rockets failed to mention this golden rule on the website.

I am sure the dancing lions or dragons would have loved to get jiggy with it on the compaq floor.

If it is one thing I always tell my friends who work in the front office as well You should scrape that Joke of a Rockets website and go with the LOUD, PROUD, ORIGINAL CLUTCHCITY.NET

I just have one thing to say before I venture off in the wild blue yonder for vacation till training camp begins!!
    MAKE MY T-SHIRT XXL Clutch when you wanna advertise this site!

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just so you know, normally at Dave & Busters there is a policy that states you have to be 21 to get in. But, last night during the draft party the policy was changed between 4 to 8:30. All ages were allowed in during the time of the Rockets draft party. I'm told at the beginning of the party, there were two people that were turned away by a Dave & Busters' employee (Dave2000 -- sorry to hear it sounds like you were one of them), but once the Rockets found out what had happened, they corrected the problem. If people were turned away that were not 21, it was after the Draft Party was over.

Wish I could have been there ... sounded like a lot of fun. I haven't been to a Rockets draft party since the infamous Horry-Minor draft of '92.

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Damn, that blows. I got there at around 4:45 - 5pm, so I guess the Rockets didnt bring it up to the head people of D&B when I was there. When I left, their were 4 other guys that were under 21 and they left also pretty pissed off. Oh well, I just hope that their will not be another draft party next year, I hope their will be a downtown parade instead. :) By that time, I should worry about anything by then, since I will be 21 around that time! :)

Thanks for bringing that up Clutch.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AH MAN !!!!

Due to the server being taken down, I thought there was a DRAFT party at D&B here in Austin, I ended up being the ONLY one there.

Oh well,

DaDakota

15. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

accidently posted a thread in the hangout.. heres my post from then:
    Who else went? I showed up around 4:30 and found a good tv and reserved some seats. Then, it was on to the "press room". They were doing a live broadcast for 610 radio and it was pretty funny. Whenever I thought of radio announcer , I thought of two guys sitting there intently listening to calls..... the real thruth is, those guys are sitting there talking to other people not even paying attention when a caller asks a question. This to me is hilarious. Anyway, I made my way down the ramp and talked to Gene Peterson momentarily and shook his hand, That was pretty cool. Later on I made my up to the very front by where all the announcers were sitting and waited for the first pick. Before and after the pick, the camera lights would not stop going on and off. It was freakin ridiculous how many times I was blinded by a photographer walking up to me and taking my picture point blank :mad: . But I got over it. It was an exciting day overall at the party, better than what I expected.... It was also pretty cool to see myself on like every single local news channel and even on tnt! :~D

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I was there with Primetime. We couldn't hear anything so we left at 5 o'clock.