1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming Haters: Redeem Yourselves Here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Okay, let's say you didn't want the Rockets to pick Ming. That's okay. There were plenty of reasons to be concerned. Some reasons for doubt remain. But are you a Rockets fan? I mean, are you? Really? Or do you just want to be right?

If you didn't want Ming, for whatever reason, but you are truly a Rockets fan, say it loud and clear. Right here. Say "I didn't want Ming, but I hope I was wrong." And you will be absolved.

And you will be allowed to join the rest of us if he comes true. And if you were right, and Ming turns out to be a bust, at least you will have taken the high road.

I don't expect to find TroyBaros or El Grande Queso here, but they should be here if they're fans. What's more important? Being right or having the team you love succeed?

Say it here: "I hope I was wrong. I hope Ming succeeds. I hope the rest of the team embraces him. I hope the Rockets are better off for picking him."

Say it now and say it loud. That's all.

2. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

I am laughing at this.
    What are you forming a cult?
    We will be allowed?
    Ming is a bench player, does that piss you off Bluntman?
    Eat IT
    As by your quote in another thread

3. Batman Jones

Is Bluntman meant to be an insult? Cause I do enjoy a good blunt from time to time. Got one?

All I'm asking here Troy is would you prefer to be right or wrong? If you're a Rocket fan forever, like your signature says, I would think you'd prefer to have been wrong. If you're a Francis fan (or friend, which I believe you are, I'm not doubting you on that), I'd think you'd like for his team to succeed. We've picked Ming. It's done. Why don't you just say now that you don't think it will work out, but you hope it will. Can you do that? Or do you care more about being right than you do about your friend or your favorite team?

4. dTown333

dTown333 Member

I love it Batman! I couldn't have voiced my own opinion on any of this matter any better myself. I, for one, am a Pro Ming fan. But first and foremost, I am a Rockets fan. So now more than ever I hope he is as successful as his potential at its absolute greatest fulfillment can lead him to be...
    By the way, the blunts are up here in Austin, come get you one :)

5. Batman Jones

Dude. I was just in Austin. Where were you? S'okay. Brought my own. Thanks though.

And yes, Troy, I'm starting a cult. It's called the cult of Clutch City. We're into wanting the Rockets to win, having an opinion on which moves they might make and then hoping they made the right ones whether we agreed with them at the time or not. I did it for Collier and Langhi too. Doesn't always work out, but it makes the fanboy life an easier, more rewarding one. Seriously though, I was mirroring the Christian ethic which I think is a good one, though I'm not Christian. Do the right thing, regardless of past transgressions and you'll be forgiven. Considering the fact you've not been banned yet, regardless of all your puffed up posturing, you still have a chance to be a respected, honored member of this board, thanks to your connections, if only you'll live up to your self-proclaimed fan-for-life status. Will you? Because, you know, that's what this thread is for.

p.s. Troy, if you want the Dylan quote in my signature you can have it. I can come up with a new one, and I think you need it more than I do.

#5 Batman Jones, Jun 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

My loyalty to the Rockets flew out the window with Hakeem.

Ming will be a bust... and honestly, I kind of hope he is just because of the entire aforementioned situation. It would suit the Rockets right.

7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

So are you a big Raptor fan now? He really took them to the next level. How could Rudy and CD have been so shortsighted?

You hope he's a bust? What kind of **** is that to say? Change your moniker to AntiRocket (aka troll). Maybe you and TrollBaros can start your own site. The Bittermen's Haters Club.

No redemption here to be seen, ladies and gentlemen. Please move along.

8. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

ill admit i really didnt want ming. i wasnt sure if he would be good and i didnt really think it was really worth taking him seeing how he was unproven and had a lot of baggage. although i do think itll take him atleast two years to learn to play in the nba i realize the great potential he has after watching some of the video. if he pans out to be what rudy and cd think he'll be the western conference better watch out cus we could be conetender in a couple seasons. anyway i changed my sig from plz no yao to yao dynasty!!!

9. Batman Jones

Yes! AzCkR (if that's your real name...), you are exactly who this thread was intended for. Thank you.

When we got the number one, I went straight to cc.net to find other people who wanted to celebrate. Ever since it's seemed like a lot of people regarded the pick to be more a curse than a blessing. I know there's been a lot of strife and mystery about Yao, but this thread is for us all (believers and doubters) to hope for the best and... dare I say it... celebrate. RT and CD (not to mention Les A.) got everything they wanted. That makes me very happy and hopeful for the future. Glad you're hopeful too, AzCkR. Anyone else?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

while i had reservations about the political baggage that seemed to follow Ming, i also said that if the rockets took him i'd root for him like crazy....

he makes that pretty easy considering what i've read of him personally....a hard worker...committed to being better...humble...

go rockets....so, go ming!

11. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

I'll say it... I didn't want them to pick him at first, but after all of the NBA's last few years' projects (high schoolers, freshmen, etc.) it's not that big of a stretch. Half of the butt-wipes under the age of twenty don't pan out. No fundamentals. No shot. Take it to the hole and shoot your free throws. In yo' face. Where's my paycheck? Spare me. The game deserves better.
    Yao Ming may be a throwback...or a bust. But I'm pulling for him. And the resurrection of the Team.
    There'll be no shortage of people saying I told you so. We'll just have to endure them the way we do Cowboy fans.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, what a shame we didn't overpay a 39 year old center constantly asking for superstar treatment. I was thinking about that last night... it must really suck to be a Raptors fan. One the same night, they had a 39 year old washed up and overpayed center instead of Bostjan Nachbar, and traded Kareem Rush to the Lakers for Lindsey Hunter. Ouch.

Oh, and excellent analysis to call Ming a bust without ever seeing him play.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Anti:

Your post really raised my eyebrows. I can't believe that you are serious about Olajuwon.

If you really feel that way, maybe it was a good thing that you were without a computer for a year.......it's too bad you got one now because I doubt anyone wants to hear your bitterness.

14. TheRaven

Face it: all the motivation by 3/4 of the first-rounders was the signing bonus, buyin' Big Mama new digs, and the keys to a new 'Benz. Yao Ming at least has a long-neglected love of the game. I'm behind him, thick or thin.
    And so what if the Rockets are wrong. Not exactly a unique situation on draft picks. But, if they're right.... WHOOOO-AH!

15. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Everyone has an opinion. But the Rockets couldn't had picked up a better 5 that compliments this offense. He can take whomever outside and open up the lane for Francis or Cat and if he is left open he can be deadly from the outside with his sweet shot. After seeing some of the footage from some of his games it seems he does play the post a bit which I doubt he'll just drop that part of his game when he comes to the NBA. But the most important thing to remember is Ming isn't going to be the franchise player right away. It will take time to perfect his game but he really does have it in him to make it. Fred Carter former head coach of the 76ers who btw drafted Shawn Bradley commented that the difference between these two big men is Ming has the passion to play the game. Bradley didn't. He went on to say Bradley is just tall but Ming is tall with some skills. But really if you're the Rockets who have a chance to draft someone like this who plays the 5 but has some mad skills you really can't go wrong. I myself do not believe Ming will be a bust. I can't make that kind of expert analysis so early to draw that conclusion like others seem to think they do.

16. TheRaven

Well said., X.

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Yeah, anyone that doesn't like the Rockets picking Ming is either a troll, bitter, or an idiot and their opinions aren't welcome.

Olajuwon was the Houston Rockets, even more so than Rudy and his 30 year tenure. He was an icon and deserved whatever he asked for. A three-year retirement tour (which in all likelihood would have been spent on the injured list) wouldn't have hurt anyone.

18. Batman Jones

How boring, Anti-Sonic. No one here has called anyone a troll simply because they were against picking Ming. And no one's called anyone a troll for defending Hakeem beyond all reason. ZRB's still here, right?

Ironic. This thread was meant to be a clean slate for people who had (or still have) serious doubts about Ming to just wish him and the team the best, now that he's a Rocket. Instead of being a fresh start it's turned into an old, tired rehash of one of this board's most depressing arguments. Some people are just addicted to feeling bad. I am sorry for them.

19. man532

man532 Member

BJ,

I love the Rockets and have paid the $149 per year on DirecTV just to watch go into lottery land. I don't like the Ming selection, however, the more tape I see of him, the better I will feel.

However, Ming can win me over if he scores 15 Jordans (points), snatches 12 Rodmans (boards), 5 Hakeems (blocks), and 6 Stocktons (assist) against Shaq and the Lakers.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36515