1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mings done, now can we trade #15 to Miami for #10?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jun 26, 2002.

1. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

We have a new center, great!! Cato will never be happy, nor productive, with Ming on the team, so he needs to go. We have KT who has heart, but has no future on this team (unless he excepts a bench job, which he will not).

So Miami comes to mind. Riley hates rookies, and KT always played good against Miami. Cato is another big man that we may be able to include in a trade. So if we offered KT, Cato #15 - besides the #10 (to get butler, woods, stoudmaire, nino, etc..), who else could we take from Miami to offset the salaries.

I think the Rockets need to make the move. I know they are blowing smoke screens to get Nachbar, but there is a good chance he will not be on board. Why not move up and better our choices for SF. Cato is worthless coming off the bench, and will probably LEVEL MING every chance he gets in pratice. We can still resign Willis, to help coach Ming - and Collier, well maybe he would bring us a future 2nd rounder.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Aldridge said the Knicks want to trade down, but I doubt they want to go all they way down to 15.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Butler is available at 10 then the Rockets should defenately try to pull that one off.

4. barbourdg

If we walked away with Butler & Ming, then this would be one of the greatest drafts in recent history.

Miami is the only team, that would probably do that trade. Riley hates rookies, and we would have a better time dealing with a team, not in our division.

#15 is a crap shoot. You would think that Nachbar, Woods or Stoudmaire would be available. But if Bourchardt (?) does not crack the top 14, then all three of those guys could be gone.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'd be shocked if Miami did that with Butler on the board. How could Miami possibly take on any more salary anyway?

I certainly wouldnt trade Butler for KT and the #15 if I were them

6. paperweight

paperweight Member

The last thing I would do now is trade Cato. While he's been a pain, he is a capable back up. I'm 100% Ming but you always want insurance.

Cato gave the team what I expected from him and I think he's mature enough ;) to handle the role. Anyway, I think Cato's value days in a trade will be a year or so down the line as this contract is in the final two years and we need cap room and another team needs to take on salary for two years.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

We cannot trade Cato because we cannot take the risk. But, next year at this time I could foresee a possible trade. If you think about it, we will have another valuable commodity in Rice because it will be the last year of his contract. WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO A DYNASTY!

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't think there's anyway the Heat make that trade for KT and the 15 and give up Butler.

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I would love to see Butler fall to #10, but I don't think that would happen.

Houston http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/salaries?team=hou
    Cato - 6.7 million
    KT - 1.56 million
    #15 - ???

So houston has 8.3 million plus the #15's salary

Miami http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/salaries?team=mia
    It looks like Miami has 10 contracts that expired? 2 that have team options. They don't really have anyone to trade back. We don't want/need Mourning, Jones, Grant. We would have to take some guys like Chris Gatling (not that bad), Laphonso Ellis, and maybe Jim Jackson?

Ellis - 32 - injury plagued - contract expires 2003 - 3.3 million
    Gatling - 34 - Miami has team option for 2003 - 2.8 million
    Jackson - 31 - his contract is up, so it would have to be a s/t
    #10 - ???

It could work - the contracts will be up after this season and these guys could come off the bench for us. #10 would be nice but I don't know if Miami would go for it.

On a side note:
    Someone tell me where our second round pick (#37) is on this page? It says we traded the #34 to Milwaukee? Is this right? Was this for the Collier deal?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/tracker/round?round=2

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Its the #38 that says Miami next to it. That belongs to us. Its really #37 because Minny doesn't have a 1st rounder

11. barbourdg

Cato is to big of a risk at this point. He is a capable backup, buy he mentally can not handle those duties. Even when he was sucking at backup center, he had a big head. He will take this very personally. In order for Cato to have a decent season (like last year), he has to get starter minutes.

I am more concerned that he is going to LEVEL MING in practice.

Does anybody remember what happen when we traded the bench for Francis. The next time we played the Grizzlies, certain ex-rockets were trying to take Francis's head off. Trust me, Cato is going to take this personally.

I think Miami is our best bet. Yes, they do not want to take on any more salaries. But they might swap big contracts to take KT & a servicable center in the east (Cato). They can still draft somebody at #15.

Rockets come out fine, since we are stuck with Cato's salary anyway. Taking on a similar bad contact from Miami is not big deal. There is a big difference between #15 & #10 this year. Especially drafting a SF. Willis would be a good mentor to Ming, and we do not need 4 centers!! (Collier, Willis, Cato & Ming)

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

First, it is very likely that the team goes with Ming Cato and Collier. That kind of size and depth is what you will need as protection against injuries and ammo to beat Shaq. The beautiful thing is that we can afford to do that based on cost and the absence of a fundamental weakness elsewhere, especially if MoT and Rice comes back strong.

One of those insiders had said that KT would not be traded for a reason which they cannot share. My speculation is that he may not be traded during the draft but could be traded in a deal for Lewis. On the other hand, he may be just too good to give up.

At the end of all this I still cannot understand why they would let a 6-11 shooter like Langhi go.

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Look, I am psyched to get Ming, and I think he will be great, but this year Cato is still the starter on day 1.

If Ming needs an adjustment period (and he will) do you want to have Collier as our starting C?

We keep Cato, he starts, and he hears the giant's footsteps behind him all season.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So Miami, who already has one of the best 4/5 combos in the league, is going to trade their #10 pick in a very deep draft...for Kelvin Cato and Kenny Thomas? How does that benefit them again?

And how does it benefit the Rockets to start the season with their only centers being Jason Collier and a player who has never played an NBA game, AND missed training camp?

15. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Hey, instead of a deal w/ Miami, would ya'll trade with Indiana, with the players being: Cato, KT and the 15th...maybe even Collier for salary purposes if needed, for a resigned Jeff Foster and Ron Artest?

Croshere may also be substituted for Artest but it would cost more salary from us though. Reason being is I think Foster would come in and perform much better as a backup to Ming. He does the intangibles which is something that Cato lacks big time. With Artest, he is our veteran SF that we want, who is an all around player who put up very nice numbers around the last month of the season.