1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Getting Serious About Draft Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, May 3, 2000.

1. Stevie3

Stevie3 Member

I haven't kept up with draft and trade talks, but I think Orlando would be very stupid not to go after Duncan, AND DOC RIVERS AINT STUPID. If he gets any encouragement behind the scenes from Duncan, I can't see them doing anything but handing over their last cent and more to land Tim Duncan. I don't think Grant Hill and/or Tracy McGrady is better than landing Tim Duncan. Do you?

------------------

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Stevie: I would personally prefer Duncan to Hill and/or McGrady, but alot with Duncan depends on where he wants to play. I firmly believe he is less about money and more about location and strength of organization.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aelliot

Last year, trading moratorium ended on August 1, the day draft day deals actually happened. Indiana has 1 day to use the trade exception if it is the same time. This trade moratorium was either started last year or the year before. It leaves a tight window for players signed in the summer to be traded before the deadline.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

me thinks the duncan situation is a little to complicated to be resolved before the draft, plus if he is signed somewhere so soon, what could we write posts about.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to drool over a top 3 pick.....I want Stromile in a Rockets uni pretty badly. Keep us up to date on that popeye, if you can.

Jeff-You'd prefer Duncan over Hill AND McGrady? [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NIKE,

Wake-Up,,,Wake-Up

you are drooling in your sleep. Dreamcasting!

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks hp, did I miss anything in my sleep?

Mobley is the key. Mobley is the key. Mobley is the key to bringing LAMAR ODOM to Houston. Mobley is the key.

Lamar Odom needs to grow 2 more inches, so he can be a 7 footer.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Popeye rises to the occassion to continue pursuit of Clutch's 160+ monster thread.

I have something to add: no AVERY JOHNSON.

He is the Anti-Chucky.

I don't want to lose CBrownFanClub to an AJ signing.

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

We are about to make a dip into the Lion and Vulture thread area. AJ and Mario both need a dominate inside player to setup their own scoring opportunities. The new Rocket guard-focused system has the guards setting up the inside players. Why would the Rockets want to use their salary slots for players that don't fit the current system and are long in the tooth to boot?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

10. popeye

popeye Member

I know we all like to fantasize .... but realistically would you all agree the Rockets priorities are:

1. Have the following decided and acted upon immediately.

(a) Sign Mobes. It takes away the negative spec about Mobes short playtime, his increased starter value to another team, and the questions of his real worth to the Rockets, especially with the impending draft and the seemingly inevitable depth of shooting guard/small forward hovering around the 9th selection.

(b) Get some direction from Hakeem. Hakeem appears to be biding his time for making a decision. Although last night he made a valiant effort at saying he was coming back next season, he also left a door open with the patented ".... unless....". Clearly the Houston Rockets have to know the direction of their star center.

2. Commit to the draft for "need" or trade the pick(s) off. I know in the past they have faired well with "best available", but this year they would do well to trade to a better slot, or give up the draft altogether and trade away the pick to get either:

(a) a future pick(s) as next year's crop appears to be exceedingly deeper and most prestigious.

(b) a bonafide starter in an exemption/pick/player(s) package deal.

3. Resign themselves to the fact that some players have had their opportunity to show their worth. And some have come up far short. You owe them nothing. Time to cut some loose,CD.

(a) To the Rockets, T. Massenburg was a complete waste of hope and promise this year, regardless of his own hopes and desires. The NBA is changing. Successful, championship-driven franchises no longer have the luxury to put veteran players on a roster and let them re-develop a new game, or recover from injury upon injury. There are just too many new young guns(Rashard Lewis) and emerging two and three-year players(Mobley) that can take that roster spot. Unless we can include T Mass in a re-sign and trade, he should be sent to the world of T.Washington, V. Hamilton, and T.Hamilton.

(b) Although age seems to be the focus of this discourse,it is not specifically aimed at gettingf rid of players due to age. Historically, the Rockets have always been able to blend a few young guys with a roster of experienced veterans. It may be the time to consider a few veterans with a roster laden with young guys. Especially, with this particular group of core players (Steve,Shandon,Mobes,Mooch,KT) on board.

On A Personal Note: A rumor/story I heard recently, that was NOT confirmed by anyone that I would consider absolutely solid, stated that Mario was exploring the possibilities of mending some fences and returning to the Rockets. I have a friend close to A. Johnson, who commented to me on a recent but seperate occasion, that both Avery and Mario have talked to some Rockets about coming back to Houston. At one time, such a story would be heralded as earthshaking and monumental in it's impact. No more.

It is only fitting that today our young team may need them much less than they did earlier this year. For that matter, both Mario and AJ may actually need the exuberance of this team to complete their careers, more than this team needs them taking up one or two more roster spots.

My hope would be, that given the choice and the opportunity of choosing what few veterans we would have on a Rockets roster, I would rather have someone of Mario's experience and intestinal fortitude sitting on the bench than say, TMass, Hamilton X2, or the like.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited May 12, 2000).]

11. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

well...
    First of all, having Elie back would be great! no matter what happened between him and the organization. He provides the Rocket with "Heart". something the Rockets could really use. As fo AJ, i think he'd also be a good backup for Francis but only if we unload Moochie. but again, i'de Rather have Miss Moochie Norris! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream's Team!

12. popeye

popeye Member

Just to clarify:

1. I was not advocating AJ's surfacing in a Houston Uni. AJ is most likely headed East next season, especially if Charlotte loses Eddie Jones, or Doug Christie is traded for a non-guard. Both teams were on the heels of a trade at the Allstar deadline. Most assuredly, Houston does NOT need his services with Mooch at PG backup.

2. Ellie would be a great addition to the Roster for any number of reasons. But I would be hesitant in saying he would be welcomed with open arms. There needs to be some very harmonious fench mending there,IMHO.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye,

If the veterans such as AJ, Mario and maybe even Sean, are leaving the Spurs, what does the future hold and what impact does that have on Duncan's decision?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

14. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

One Question,
    If the Odom trade rumor is legit and you sign Mobley, what are you gonna do about Odom, Mobley and Shandon as far as PT and salary cap space for 2/3 positions?

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, this thread just continues to rock!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Hey Partner:

My god you are so totally awesome to catch that. If anyone choked on the Chucky Brown curse this year, it was Avery. I mean my god, what is UP with that guy.

Mario, on the other hand, is all over the Chucky situation. As I was screaming my ass off during Spurs shootaround in Golden State early this season - with my custom made authentic Chucky Brown Rockets jersey - Mario pointed and laughed at me and smacked a high five with Chucky. At least I think that is what he was laughing at. Even if not, Mario rules. Usually. Bring him back. Screw Avery (he is fragile, actually, could he stand being lit up by Steve F. day in and out?). Besides, I dont think Duncan is going to appreciate having to deal with Avery in yet another city.

The Rocks might want to bring back our man CBrown for a couple more seasons. He is the prototypical Tomjanovich player - even more so than Mario, in my opinion, given Marios occasional temper tantrums. He is also the anti-Walt; in some situations, this is a good thing - rebounds, defensive hustle, head in the game, does not think of himself as a pure shooter.

We know CB wants to stay in Charlotte, so this point is not going to be pushed too too hard. But a CBrown return to Houston could be a good deal for the Rocks.

CBFC

------------------

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I'm not a big Mario fan at all. But I think if we could get him he would be a great pickup. He plays hard and he would give us some veteran leadership, without him wanting to play a ton of minutes.

------------------

18. davo

davo Contributing Member

popeye,

I have to take exception to the item at the very top of you "Rocket's Priorities" list. If it said "Sign Mobley to a reasonable contract, i would agree. I've said before that it I think it is too risky committing big bucks to Mobley in the future. If we can get away with signing him to a one year deal and then offering a bird contract comensurate with his performance in the coming year, then I say do it.

If we have to commit BIG bucks after next year, based on just the last 2 years, I say don't do it - maybe we'll live to regret it, but we already have a stellar 2 in Shandon Anderson, so the loss of Mobley would not be catastrophic.

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by davo (edited May 15, 2000).]

19. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

Maybe I missed this, but if Vancouver is in the mix, why aren't we talking about the possible trade of Shareef Abdur-Rahim? First, supposedly he is unhappy where he's at (ESPN) and the Rockets are looking for an athletic small forward (Odom isn't the only one). It's hard for me to postulate the details of such a trade because I don't know SAR's salary, but in a three-way with Orlando who's looking to get Duncan (this could help clear up some of their salary cap??) this seems to me a real possibility.

I have some ideas, but I thought I'd wait on some feedback from the $$ experts.

20. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

Shareef Abdur-Rahim makes $9,000,000/yr. I believe he signed a contract extension around the same time Kobe Bryant signed his.

------------------