1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

When will Ming get the ball w/Steve, Cat, MoTaylor, & Rice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Jun 25, 2002.

1. man532

man532 Member

I have gotten bashed for suggesting that Ming is not the answer. Once again it appears that everyone else's strategy is to out score the competition and we'll be home like Dallas. The only way you win titles is with D or Shaq.

Who is the top competition in the West, (Lakers - until Shaq gets tired, San Antonio, Minnesota, Portland, Clippers/Utah and Seattle).

Looking at those top teams how do we match up. Number 1, as stated in a RealGM article, Ming is NOT a shot blocker, MoTaylor isn't a rebounder or shot blocker (Eddie is a shot blocker), Rice plays no D and I don't care if he is in shape.

Trust me there are no Mario Elie's, Robert Horry's, or Vernon Maxwell's on the team to contain scorers in a playoff series. We've won championships with Dream and great defense, period.

Drafting Ming provides offense, however, we can't stop the Houston Comets from scoring let alone the top NBA teams. Between Steve, Cat, Rice, and MoTaylor when is Ming going to shoot. Don't forget when Moochie comes in the game and dribbles out the shot clock.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Right, and Kobe Bryant isn't a scorer. :rolleyes:

As someone said in another thread, it's sad how one guy at the Chicago workout doesn't think Ming will be an outstanding shotblocker and all of a sudden it's turned into him not being able to block shots at all. This is a 7'6 player with good athletic ability, good timing, and one who averaged over 4 blocks a game in the CBA. Ming is a shotblocker... anything else is believing the NY/Chicago hype.

3. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Ok Sean Bradley is by no means a great defender, but somehow his 7'6 body has him in the top 10 in blocks every year when he plays a decent amount of minutes (usually top 5).

HMMMM

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

at 7-5 he will accidentally block 1.5 shots per game.

we can all agree (haters included) that he has the heart and desire to be a great player. through practice and hard work he will be able to add another block per game. so that is 2.5 already.

as long as he is chasing shots he will alter another 3 per game just by scaring people.

at minimum in 2-3 years he will block 2.5 shots. at most, 4. add griffs 3 to that. and we have ourselves some interior D!

5. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

Ming may not be able to get a lot of points and rebounds in his first one or two years in NBA, but he will block shots just because of his height. With a height advantage, the timing is much easier. The worst Ming can be is Shawn Bradley who is a good shot blocker.

6. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

NOT a shot blocker? He blocked more shots than any body else except Mourning two years ago at the Olympics, he lead the CBA in shot blocking with 4.8 per game.

I read that article, it was almost laughable. He did not even back up his claims with quotes from anyone (let alone anyone with first hand knowledge) or any facts.

Ask Payton or Carter whether Yao is a shot blocker or not, because somehow their ball were swotted into the seats of the Olympic stadium.

-G'day-

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What do you suggest? We score less than our competition. We tried that last year and all it got us was a trip to lotto land.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<i>I have gotten bashed for suggesting that Ming is not the answer. Once again it appears that everyone else's strategy is to out score the competition and we'll be home like Dallas. The only way you win titles is with D or Shaq. </i>

And at 7-5 he gives us the defense, and last time I checked Shaq hasn't been on every championship team for the last 25 years. By the way, you do have to outscore the other team to win.

<i>Who is the top competition in the West, (Lakers - until Shaq gets tired, San Antonio, Minnesota, Portland, Clippers/Utah and Seattle).

Looking at those top teams how do we match up. Number 1, as stated in a RealGM article, Ming is NOT a shot blocker, MoTaylor isn't a rebounder or shot blocker (Eddie is a shot blocker), Rice plays no D and I don't care if he is in shape. </i>

So 5 bpg isn't a shot-blocker? What is you definition of a shot-blocker? People call Shawn Bradley a stiff, and he actually has a shot-blocking title. Mo Taylor is a solid low-post scorer, and actually a decent rebounder. It may not be great, but 6 rpg is better then 0 rpg. And Rice gives us scoring, I'll take that.

<i>Trust me there are no Mario Elie's, Robert Horry's, or Vernon Maxwell's on the team to contain scorers in a playoff series. We've won championships with Dream and great defense, period. </i>

We're not trying to win the championship yet, just get to the playoffs. You do know that Mario Elie, and Robert Horry didn't come until LATER in Hakeem's career. Put together this team, see what they need, and pick it up year-to-year.

<i>Drafting Ming provides offense, however, we can't stop the Houston Comets from scoring let alone the top NBA teams. Between Steve, Cat, Rice, and MoTaylor when is Ming going to shoot. Don't forget when Moochie comes in the game and dribbles out the shot clock.</i>

Picking up Ming provides offense, defense, rebounding, and size. Ming will shot when the Rockets run post plays, and when he gets garbage points, and on set plays.

#8 RocksMillenium, Jun 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  9. tozai

tozai Member

As a previous Ming-hater, I am not completely sold on him being able to stay out of foul trouble, dealing with the speed & physical play for 82 games, and one-on-one defense. However, I know he is an upgrade over what we have. I also KNOW he is better than Bradley without a doubt. Just watch the highlight video if you disagree. So if Ming gets the minutes he should produce more than Bradley, although noone really knows how much more. You can't just say he'll produce half of what he did in the CBA, but he probably could get like 12 ppg, 8 rpg, 2.5 blocks. I think his shotblocking is a little overrated, but being at 7-5 he's bound to get at least 1-2 a game.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If he blocked 2 shots the first time he played against NBA allstars when he was 19 or 20 years old, I'm sure he can do it now. I don't know how he will do manning up against other centers, but most of them can't score when they're wide open anyway.

11. man532

man532 Member

We're getting hosed and it starts tonight!!! Too much negative downside, I don't care how many agreements you have with China, if he's unhappy with his salary versus Cato what happens then?

I'm thinking a number one pick should be predicted to average more than 12pts and 8rebs a game. That's pretty low expectations for a guy everyone keeps telling me is the real deal at 7'5". He stands underneath the rim. Fato averages 8 and what does that do to his already diminished confidence. Back to the bench with $6 million to spare.

Welcome to the Houston Rockets Experiment brought to you by Dr. Rudystein and Mr. Dahyde.

12. ScottBrooks

ScottBrooks Member

Ming will silence his doubters. He will become something special. All the teams with a hole at center in this years draft want him. The only people who don't are those stupid writers for teams that don't have a shot.

Yes J Will will have bigger upside right away, but much of his potential has been largely reached. Yao has far more untapped potential.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Tony Barone, scout for the Memphis Grizzlies, who made the comment about Ming not being a shotblocker? Now again, correct me I'm wrong, but is this the same Tony Barone that coached the Texas A&M basketball team for a couple of crappy years? Nah, can't be...can it? Whoever he is, it seems like he's been spouting off a lot. Ming will be among the top five in blocked shots, that much you can count on. A combination of Eddie Griffin and Yao Ming would be sending back and/or altering more shots than any other frontcourt in the league.

man532, what's the point of continuing to be negative? The Rockets are drafting Yao Ming. Get over it. There's nothing that can be done to stop it. Wait 'til the season starts and you actually see Yao Ming play before you start the negativity. Then, if he's not performing you can start b***ching all you want. I feel sorry for the people that are going to continue to be negative all through the summer and fall until the opening game of the season...without ever seeing him play, mind you The rest of us are enjoying this a lot more than you.

#13 DCkid, Jun 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2002
  14. man532

man532 Member

You know what they say about potential "it means you haven't done anything yet, that's why we paid $6 mil per year for Fato"

15. Possum

Possum Member

I think you have potential.

16. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

First of all, Dallas was probably the third or at worst fouth best team in the league this year. So that tells me that you CAN win with an offense first team. However, I agree that the Rox must focus more on the defensive end but that focus needs to come from our guards. If Francis and Cat start D'ing up and funneling everything to the middle (ala Houston of the 90's) then Ming and Griff will have an all year block party and everyone will be invited.

Seattle and the Clippers are the top competition in the west but Dallas and Sacramento don't quite make the list.....hmmm. I know they just slipped your mind, but I'll give you a hard time about it anyway. <-------------insert winking face here.

Ming isn't a shot blocker? I think in the absolute worse case scenario you can possibly dream up about Ming he is still a shotblocker. Dude is 7'5" for petes sake. MoT does not rebound, you're right about that. Thats not Mings fault. I don't know if you were hoping they could draft 4 more rebounds a game for Mo, but I'm not sure thats possible. Should have let him go and went hard after Webber, but we didn't. Rice plays no D....pretty much. Will he ever be confused with a young Rodman, NO, But there aren't to many 3's out there that scare me. If we end up -10 or -15 out of the SF position I think we'll still be in a position to win most games.

Yes thats how we won two Championships, but thats not how every championship has been won. But you are right......sort of. We have to be at least a good defensive team to compete for it all. We will be a good defensive team when our GUARDS learn it's importance.

Again, I don't see how you can say that Ming provides offense and no D. 5 blocks a game man, 5 blocks. was it in the CBA sure, but do you think he just held his hands up and got 5 a game. No I'm guessing he had to be aggresive and go after the ball. Well a aggressive center who is 7'5" is a freakin shotblocker...end of discussion!

Who were we going to pick up this offseason that this wouldn't be a problem? We need to incorporate more ball movement into our offense? No way!! Next you'll be telling us the earth is round.

So we should just relenquish all our draft picks......and Francis...... and Griff. I mean to hell with potential right?

17. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Wow, you broke up and totally smashed his arguments with very valid points!

Gotta give you props for this.

-G'day-