1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone is going to look stupid...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jun 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. ScreamingRocketJet

I have been coming here since 1999. This is a GREAT site. (Even though I had a run in with Clutch over politics...reminder to self, never talk politics if you want to remain on good terms!)

This is the best fan site on the net IMO.

I am convinced we will draft Yao. Doc says so...Clutch says so...that's all I need to know.

With Troy's posts so prominent, many of them made mention of 'The Rocket Guy'...so I did a search, and went on over to check out his site.

His headline quote surprised me...

QUOTE "The Chinese have pulled the plug, as the evidence pointed to them doing over a week ago." That's posted June 25.

He then says "I believe the deal will be with LA, but not for Kandi or Odom. It's #8 and another player - to be announced soon. The Bulls are also rumored to be pondering a deal."

So...both parties can't be right. I know that guys credability is not too good (?) but he seems confident.

My money is on Doc:)

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Do you have a link? What's the url of his site?

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Here's what he says

WTF?? Clutch, Doc??

4. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Why does his guy (TRG) so sure in saying that Yao Ming will turn out to be the biggest bust in the draft history, when he has never saw him play, let alone even a few decent clips? If he doesn't want Yao Ming, fine, but don't make such stupid claims when he knows so little about the player. Yao Ming is already better than Wang Zhi Zhi at only 21, and has way more potential ahead of him... geez. Let him play first before labelling him a bust, which I am sure he won't turn out to be one.

And if this guy has being reading up the news, he would know that Wang Zhi Zhi has never defected, he was in constant contact with China, and the Chinese agreed to let him stay for the summer league to improve his defensive skills.

There might be some final hurdle to clear, but this guy just seem Anti-Yao, Anti-Chinese right from the begining.

-G'day-

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

The more you read TRG the less you believe anything he says.

6. Darth West

Darth West Member

Doesn't the rocket guy always look/sound stupid?

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'd be inclined to agree with you guys. This just doesn't vibe with what everyone else is saying. Plus TRG has always been a prick...

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looks like it TroyBaros(TRG)........

From ESPN.COM

Saturday, June 22
    Updated: Saturday, June 22, 5:23 PM ET

Yao's agent says deal nearly done
    Associated Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SHANGHAI, China -- Yao Ming's agent said the likely top choice in the draft next week moved a step closer to the NBA on Saturday when a deal was struck with his current team, the Shanghai Sharks.

Yao's agents are racing to complete an agreement with China's pro league that would let the 7-foot-5 center be drafted.

John Huizinga, Yao's United States-based agent, said the Sharks agreed to let Yao go to the United States for an undisclosed portion of their star player's expected multimillion-dollar NBA earnings.

Huizinga said he is optimistic he can reach an agreement with the China Basketball Association in time for the draft Wednesday. The Houston Rockets own the No. 1 choice and have had their sights set on Yao since winning the draft lottery.

"We realize this was a very crucial step in the process and look forward to hearing about the upcoming meetings between Yao Ming and the Chinese Basketball Association,'' Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg said Saturday. "There has been a great level of cooperation between all parties involved in this process and I fully expect a resolution very soon.''

Huizinga called an agreement with the CBA the final obstacle blocking the 22-year-old star from joining the NBA.

"We're going to make it. I hope to keep the momentum of the last few days going,'' Huizinga said at a Saturday night news conference.

The down-to-the-wire negotiations underscore China's reluctance to let go of what many view as a national asset in China.

The Sharks finally gave Yao permission in April to enter the draft after blocking him for more than two years. Two Chinese players are already in the NBA -- Dallas Mavericks forward Wang Zhizhi and Denver Nuggets center Menk Bateer.

And even after Yao goes, the CBA and government sports authorities are entitled to claim half of what Yao earns from his salary and endorsements, according to new CBA rules issued in April.

Huizinga wouldn't say if the Sharks' take will come out of that chunk, or out of the remaining half of Yao's earnings. He refused to release any details of the agreement.

Yao is desirable to teams in China and the United States because he possesses an outside shot, a well-rounded low post game and solid fundamentals -- a rare combination for a player so tall.

As a No. 1 draft choice, Yao would receive a three-year contract worth about $10.4 million with the team holding an option for a fourth year at $4.6 million. Yao also would stand to earn millions more in endorsements.

Huizinga said the negotiations with the CBA are focused not on money, but on Yao's availability to play for China's national team.

The newly issued regulations require professional players to be ready to return to China at any time to join the national team. They can also be punished for revealing the national team's plays and strategies.

Yao's Chinese agent, Erik Zhang, said the participation of China's team in the Asian Games in October meant Yao would miss preseason NBA games and workouts.

He said the CBA also probably won't let Yao be in New York for the draft Wednesday because he is training with China's national team for a four-nation tournament this month.

A crew from Turner Sports will be in China to interview Yao live by satellite hookup during the draft, NBA spokesman Terry Lyons said.

9. Live

Live Member

Don't ya'll know about the 'TRG Conversion Factor':

The 'Truth' = -1 * TRG's 'scoop'

If TRG says one thing will happen, the exact opposite usually occurs.

So that means the FIBA clearance will come either today or early tommorrow (Houston time), Ming will be drafted #1, and Ming will go on to have a great NBA career and continue the Rockets' tradition of great big men. ;)

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Anyone remember TRG's 1999 "scoop" of Scottie Pippen to the Bucks for Ray Allen and Tim Thomas? I think that may have been the rumor he later admitted to making up, but I'm not sure. When you start off your site claiming that as "almost a done deal", that should tell you the credibility...

11. tozai

tozai Member

I think when Doc said "other sites" he was talking about TRG

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In my opinion, the fact that so many people care what the Rockets are going to do enough to continually label Ming a bust shows how much potential Ming actually has. Nobody really cared last year when the Wizards took Brown, or the year before when KMart went number one. Sure, there was your normal first pick buzz, but remember nobody saw Kwame play either, yet there wasn't such a he's a bust, he's a savior debate.

Other teams out there are scared. They know, depsite our poor record, we played most teams down to the wire despite our injuries (the only team that really has our number is Sacramento). They don't know what Ming can actually do, but it makes them feel better to say that he will be a bust. Stories are reported. His weight becomes 236 even though its 296. He gets blocked once by a much crappier, but nonetheless still very tall opponent at a workout where he is extremely jetlagged. The CBA, a respectable league that has had borderline NBA talent playing for them in the past becomes the equivalent of American Junior High competition, and idiots like The Rocket Guy eat it up in an attempt to get more hits on his crummy site.

That's just my opinion though.

13. Outkast9000

Outkast9000 Member

The funniest thing about sitting back watchin all this stuff unfold is the fact that everybody on this board claims to know everything about Yao and how dominant he will be and how Steve (our all-star point guard) is selfish and overrated and how people that have websites and are getting paid to report on his favorite team are stupid and horribly wrong. I'm not saying he is right and I'm a relative new comer to this whole internet sport tracking thing but NONE OF US REALLY KNOW. Personally, I think it would be dumb takin ANYBODY w/ this kind of red tape surrounding the status of their careers. Is anybody else but me worried that this guy won't come? or is anybody else worried that this guy will be tied up w/ China for so much of his career that he will never adjust to NBA life? Maybe I'm wrong and he will be the best thing since fried rice, but my gut says cut our losses and move on.

C

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<i>The funniest thing about sitting back watchin all this stuff unfold is the fact that everybody on this board claims to know everything about Yao and how dominant he will be </i>

Don't lump everybody together, because for the most part I saw people saying he had the POTENTIAL to be a dominant big man. And in fact the majority of people on the board have admitted to NOT knowing anything about him.