1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jacobsen to Crack the Top 16?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This is on espn . . .

===========

Obviously, the NBA knows something about Stanford's Casey Jacobsen's draft status that we didn't.

Jacobsen was one of 16 prospects invited by the league to attend the NBA draft in the coveted Green Room at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night. The invitation is considered a key indicator of who the NBA thinks will be the draft's top picks.

After several high-profile mistakes the past few years, the league has reduced the number of players invited and done a more thorough job of researching the projected range of each player.

Remember Jumaine Jones crying in 1999 after he slipped to pick No. 27? Or Rashard Lewis looking like a lost puppy in 1998 when he fell all the way to the second round? The NBA has actually been trying to avoid those classic made-for-TV moments.

So imagine the surprise when Jacobsen, considered a borderline first-round pick by many, appeared on the list. Jacobsen may have dropped a clue that he was an early first-rounder late last week when he canceled a workout with the Jazz, who draft at No. 19.

Jacobsen joins top lottery prospects Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Caron Butler, Drew Gooden, Chris Wilcox, Dajuan Wagner, Jared Jeffries, Nikoloz Tskitishivili, Nene Hilario, Qyntel Woods, Curtis Borchardt and Amare Stoudemire.

Other top players such as Melvin Ely, Kareem Rush and Marcus Haislip were also invited.

The fact that Jacobsen was invited ahead of several other top prospects, including Bostjan Nacbar, Jiri Welsch and Dan Dickau, is a good sign that Jacobsen will land somewhere between 14 and 18.

So where will he go?

Jacobsen did have a stellar workout in Indiana, which picks at No. 14. The Rockets, Sixers and Hornets have been looking for a shooter at picks 15, 16, and 17.

==========

The only way I can make sense of this is that Indiana will take him. If so, I'm pleased as punch. I like the guy, but we're not taking him in the 1st Round.

He could help push Nachbar or Stoudamire down to us at 15.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Oh, please don't let him be our pick at #15.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE

Rocket RIver
    maybe if we all beg it won't happen

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

37, maybe, but 15 is waaaaaay too early.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

why draft dan langhi and dave jamerson all over again??

6. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

If he is drafted in the lottery or before the twenties, some team will get a big F on their report card. This guy is not going to be that good. He has no athleticism. At best, he will be like the Bull.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The horror....The horror...

Anyone who drafts Casey Jacobsen will be stuck with a dime-a-dozen, 1-dimensional player. Hopefully the Pacers take him, and let someone slip down to #15. Why anyone would take Jacobsen ahead of a Kareem Rush or Bostjan Nachbar is beyond me. Please Rudy, I know you love white guys who can shoot, but don't do it.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Clutch: if you read this, can you make Jacobsen a selection in the mock draft contest? This announcement is making me think he impressed the Pacers enough to take him at 14. Thanks...

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Casey can be a pretty good sharp shooter in the NBA. He can probably knock down 1.5-2 3-pointers per game. Maybe score around 14 per in 2 years.

He isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, he just doesn't have the "untapped" potential that may never be tapped with so many of the draftees coming out this year.

10. tozai

tozai Member

I don't think the Rockets even worked him out. I doubt it'd be them picking Jacobsen. This sounds like Indiana will be taking him though. I'm pretty sure they're taking Rush though. They're probably deciding between the two. This is good though because it makes Nachbar even more available. I wish he'd just bomb the workout at was so we could get him.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle