1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead: World Basketball Championships

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heech, Jun 24, 2002.

1. heech

heech Contributing Member

I remain optimistic (bordering on total confidence) that Yao Ming will be a Houston Rocket this fall. But I also recognize there are a lot of questions in the mean time.

But, moving on briefly from that point...

Just wanted to share that I just read Ben Wallace and Elton Brand have been added to the USA basketball team for the World Championships this year. This means Yao Ming + co will be facing (on the front-line):

- Antonio Davis
    - Raef LaFrentz
    - Ben Wallace
    - Elton Brand
    - Jermaine O'Neal

This is a great group of guys for Yao Ming to put himself against. Young (mostly), talented, skilled, and offers a variety of different looks that he'll have to match up against. All of them though will be very tough on defensive, and several of them will be interesting tests going on offense.

China will be playing the US twice in August. First, Aug. 22th in Oakland CA in an exhibition game. Then, they face off in the World Championships on Aug. 31st at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

Tickets for both are available, for those of you who might be interested in seeing Yao Ming face off against some of the best centers in the NBA today. Any theories on what's going to happen?

2. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

USA to win by 15 points, Yao Ming the top scorer in the game and outplays his direct opponent, wows the crowd.

-G'day-

3. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

i'll be at the aug22 game!
    hopefully ming will be a rocket!
    i'll be interested to see how he plays against ben wallace...that should be a big test of his offensive abilities.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I just hope BOTH of these games are FULLY televised! If Yao Ming goes #1 in the draft I would have to think there would be HUGE interest in those games.

Anyone know anything about the TV schedule for the World Championships? TNT doing it? This really would be everyone's first FULL look at Yao Ming.

Chris

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its a lose-lose situation for Ming on that on anyway. If he dominates them then people will say they're all undersized centers and he'll have to do it against Shaq. If he doesn't dominate people will say see there i told you. I hope he rips them a new ******* but America wins. Then people will say he will contribute right away and be at least 2nd best center in the league which i think he will be anyways.

7. lovethisgametoo

I will go there to watch the match between US and China, and probably on Yao's Jersey.

Anyone else??

8. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I agree with you Leebigez. as Much as i want to see him play against team USA, I think that if he doesnt play well, there will be a HUUUUUUGE influx of Ming Haters around saying I told you so...

Look at all this pressure this kid has already...and hes playing for negative 3 million...

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yao should be able to score easily over 6'8" to 6'9" guys like Brand and Wallace. With his height, he should be able to shoot over the top of these guys, jumping and shotblocking notwithstanding. Whether he actually can will be a measure of how far he has to go to be a good or great player.

10. suntzu

suntzu Member

Does anyone know where I can get tickets for the Aug 22nd game in Oakland? The Warriors website mentions you can buy them at www.tickets.com but I can't find them listed. Thanks.

Sun Tzu

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

12. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

If he dominates those centers, it would only mean that people would start acknowledging that he is infact already better than most centers in the NBA even before he plays a game there. How many other rookies out there can say that they have already beaten proven and all-star quality NBA players, before they enter the league? Let's see how he goes, but I am confident he will do better than just 'OK'.

-G'day-

13. cwww

cwww Member

He will do better if he doesn't have foul trouble.