1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBSSPORTSLINE draft rumors that may affect any trades the Rockets want to Make

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

West looks to make immediate impact with Clippers trade
    June 23, 2002
    By Dan Wetzel
    SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dan your opinion!

Jerry West is not waiting to try to make an impact on the Memphis Grizzlies.

The architect of the current three-time defending champion Lakers who took over as the Grizzlies president of basketball operations this spring, has offered to make a lottery shaking trade with the Los Angeles Clippers this weekend and is awaiting an answer, according to a source involved in the discussions.

The Clippers' interest in Nickoloz Tskitishvili might prompt them to trade for Memphis' No. 4 pick.(AP)
    Memphis would ship the fourth pick in Wednesday's NBA draft to the Clippers for two first round selections, No. 8 and No. 12. The Clippers are considering it.

L.A., according to the source, covets 7-foot center Nickoloz Tskitishvili from The Republic of Georgia but doesn't believe the talented European will be around at No. 8.

With the top three picks -- Houston taking Yao Ming, Chicago selecting Jay Williams and Golden State picking Michael Dunleavy Jr. -- all but set, Tskitishvili should be there for the taking at No. 4.

The Grizzlies, meanwhile, who have their eye on Kansas forward Drew Gooden should they keep the fourth pick, believe quality players will slide to 8 and 12. Memphis is very interested in both Indiana University forward Jared Jeffries and University of Memphis guard Dajuan Wagner.

At least one, if not both players should be available at No. 8 and it is possible Wagner might slide to No. 12.

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Shawn...you again...

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Did you say CBS Sportsline?

For some reason, I expected a BILLION pop-up ads to explode on my screen when I clicked this thread.

4. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Interesting scoop. If West comes away with Wagner and Jefires I'll admit he's a genius. In a few years it will the suff of legends how he took the 3 AND the 4 th best players in the draft with just a #4 pick. Basically, Dunleavy will be a total bust (can you say Pete Chilcutt), Gooden is a tweener, Tsika is a mirage, same for Hilario, Wilcox will be a project forever, and Butler will hit his ceiling the first month in the league.

As for the Clippers, the rumor from Peter Vecsey is that they are looking to package the #4 they get with Lamar Odom for the #2 (JWill), and are not interested at all in Tsika. Interesting...

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In three years we will look back atthis draft and say that Yao was the best personin the draft, Hilario was second, and Butler was third........

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Dunleavy a bust? Nooooooooo, I don't think so.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Oh please Dunleavy is only half of Christian Laetner. That is what is going to happen. I mean look at his game there is no power to it and there is definitely nothing outside of range either. And you can call him a ball handler all that you want but honestly you know as well as I do that he can not break guys down, and possesses no d to speak of thank god we're not getting this guy or Butler.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I completely agree jev. Dunleavy is the most overrated player projected to make the lottery this year. People say "Well he's 6'9 and he can shoot the 3", well so could Dermarr Johnson, who is a ton more talented then Dunleavy and it took him several years to come along. Danny Ferry is also a 6'9 big man who can "stroke the 3". Dunleavy = bust.

9. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

i agree, dunleavy will not cut it in the pros. ive watched every one of dunleavys games since hes been at duke. he was awful to begin with, but i must agree he came around quite nicely this past year. perhaps the biggest disappointment about dunleavy is that hes really not that good a shooter. hes not bad, but hes definitely no larry bird, etc. hes not as good a shooter as walt williams, for example. and another thing about dunleavy: hes a big loser. the guy would walk in fashionanbly late on purpose to class everyday. hed bring lunch with him and walk through the front of the lecture hall with it. man i wanted to kick his ass. but then we wouldnt have won as many games.....

10. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

rsl, how cool is it to catch a game at Cameron? I have heard it is like nothing you can ever imagine. It soundsl ike ya'll have some real studs on the way to continue the incredible run.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Why would a trade that does not include Odom affect us?