1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHAT THE ROCKETS ARE LEAVING ON THE TABLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TRADECUTTINO, Jun 24, 2002.

1. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

If these rumours are correct, look at what the rockets are ultimately are leaving on the table in talent.

#1. Chicago trading up to aquire Ming. Chicagos #2 and Fizer.

#2. A trade with LA that brings Odom, the #8 and #12, plus Maggette for the #2 which would net Williams

or

A trade with Golden State that brings the #3 and Jamison

Personally, I like the Clippers scenerio which brings Odom, the #8 and #12.

So at the end of day, after the draft. the Rockets will have Ming, or possibly could have swung deals that netted

SF-Odom
    PF-Fizer
    SG-Wagner
    PF- Stodimire
    Sf-Maggette

Add that into the rotation, and your looking at a ridicilious amount of talent.

Hopefully Ming turns into the real deal..... thats alot of firepower to turn down for one man.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I confused. . .

We don't have the #2. Why would Maggette be worth the #2?

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Talent does not win championships. Clippers had all that talent last season and they couldn't even get to the playoffs. The Mavs are the most talented team in the league and the couldn't get past Sac. Sac also had a lot of talent and they had trouble with Utah. Portland has loads of talent but they got swept by the Lakers.

You win championships by having 1 or 2 stars and a bunch of good role players. If you have the best player in the league, you only need one star otherwise you need two.

4. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Look at the first trade which shows how the Rockets would acquire the #2

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Oh, I thought #1 and #2 meant different scenarios. I don't know if it's a lot of firepower. Odom is nice and I think Stoudamire will be a fine pro in 4 years. Wagner we don't need, Maggette is a back up dunk machine, and Fizer is already a bust, IMO.

6. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Talent does not win championships

Comeon, what wins it then?

Clippers had all that talent last season and they couldn't even get to the playoffs

Young talent. Wanna put your bones on this team not eventually becoming a force once these guys develop chemistry?

The Mavs are the most talented team in the league and the co
    uldn't get past Sac

I gotta disagree here. I think Sacremento was the more talented team. Webber, Divac, Stoyavich,Turgulo, Bibby. Also the Kings have not ripped apart their team like the MAVS three times in 2 years adding in a new starter every 2 seconds.

Sac also had a lot of talent and they had trouble with Utah. Portland has loads of talent but they got swept by the Lakers

Lets see, the common theme appears to be teams with talent have a good problem.... they are in the playoffs!!

You win championships by having 1 or 2 stars and a bunch of good role players. If you have the best player in the league, you only need one star otherwise you need two.

And so your saying these others players will not develop into a stars?? Mightly bold statement

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

It's very simple. Quality beats quanity in the NBA. Lakers>portland, sacramento

There is a reason all that talent could be had for ming

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Those trades are nice and pretty, but none of them contain top shelf talent.

Premier talent wins in this league, Ming is a premier talent, none of those guys in the deals are at his level.

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

#2. A trade with LA that brings Odom, the #8 and #12, plus Maggette for the #2 which would net Williams

I can see this as a problem, if LA finds out that the Cav's are willing to trade miller or even if Hornet's show they are willing to trade Baron Davis; then the Rocket's are screwed. I think that LA would rather have a established player than a Rookie to add to their absurdly young team.

10. paperweight

paperweight Member

Chemistry, coaching plus one (or two) stars.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

NO ODOM! too many negatives.

12. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Someone needs to tell Utah they have a championship coming there way.

13. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Are u guys like gypsies or something? Do u see the future?

How do u know what those players will bring to the Rockets, chemistry-wise? Since Steve and Cuttino apparently prefer Odom to Yao, does that mean that they would have better chemistry?

On the flip side, how do u know what Yao-za will bring?

tradcuttino has a point...we are leaving a lot on the table. Hopefully CD and Rudy know what they're doing...

In CD we trust.

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

TRADECUTTINO,

There's no way I'd give Chicago the #1 for Fizer/#2. I wouldn't take anything less than Curry/#2 for ?/#1.

I'd hold out for a Curry/#2 for Moochie/#1 trade & probably have a real good chance of getting it (depending on how badly Krause wants Ming).

Then I'd try to engineer a 3 way trade involving Memphis, the Clippers, & Houston.

Houston sends #2/Cato to the Clippers.
    Houston sends KT/#15 to Memphis.

Memphis sends Swift/Battier/#4 to Houston.

The Clippers send Odom/#8/#12 to Memphis.
    The Clippers send Maggette to Houston.

Then, I'd trade #4/Taylor to Washington for Kwame/Lue/Etan/#11.

With the #11 pick, I'll draft Stoudemire or, the best available 3/4/5.

Houston's new lineup could be:

C: Curry/Kwame
    PF: Griffin/Etan/Stoudemire?
    SF: Battier/Swift/T-Mo
    SG: Mobley/Maggette/Torres
    PG: Francis/Lue/Brown

You're right. We're leaving a lot on the table. I sure hope Ming is everything he's being hyped up to be. ;-)