1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Von Wafer signs with Olympiakos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 9, 2009.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Still haven't seen anything official in the US on Von's signing. They announced Kleiza's signing with Olympiacos today but not Von. His agent better get on the stick and get his contract signed or at least tell the media that a deal is near.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

They posted it on a couple of different sites today.

3. tiger0330

Guess why they haven't announced it yet is because it's not signed yet. All these sites say he's going to sign. Hope it doesn't blow up on Von because that's a nice contract.

4. rocket3forlife2

We made ourselves a for sure Lottery team now. I had a little hope, but I'm so disappointed right now. Last time I had this feeling the mayor let the Oilers leave because he didn't like the owner.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Amazing. Somebody thinks Von Freakin' Wafer was the difference between this team making the playoffs or not. Were you thinking that late in the season, he'd nail Steve Nash on the head with a water bottle to let us squeeze into that last slot?

I've got a feeling Morey will find a way to trade two players for one solid SG -- maybe one with an expiring contract. I seriously doubt we'll go into October with the lineup we have now.

1 person likes this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

In my opinion Von Wafer gave the Rockets a spark they desperately needed last season. No player that gets limited playing time is going to be as comfortable as one who plays a great deal. He may have "chucked" at times and he missed some defensive assignments, BUT in my opinion he never really got a fair shake with the Rockets. His skill set was impressive and his "fire" stoked the fans. I liked him and wish he had stayed. The fact that no NBA team made him a decent offer does raise questions though. Nevertheless, I think the Rockets will miss him. I will.

7. tiger0330

I don't look at the paucity of offers for him to be a black mark. It's a tough year for FA's, guys like Wallace saying that they would retire if they couldn't get 8m and signing for the MLE, Marquise Daniels making 6M/yr and possibly signing for the LLE, AI unsigned etc. He was one of the best athletes on the team and unless Budinger, Taylor or White prove they can step in and fill his shoes he will be missed.

8. Super Von

Super Von Member

What the hell.

The Rockets are going to miss him, but hes not worth 2 years 5 million.

Hed rather start in Greece than be on the bench in the real league. Wow Von.

I need to change my username.

9. CliffordL

CliffordL Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

FREE AGENCY: Olympiakos signs Wafer
    Von Wafer | Rockets
    Eurobasket.com reports Houston Rockets free agent Von Wafer has signed with Olympiakos. The Greek team is also pursuing Denver Nuggets restricted free agent Linas Kleiza according to TalkBasket.net.

10. CliffordL

CliffordL Member

In my opinion, Wafer refused to pass the ball, often getting himself into trouble while airborne, and his defense was very shaky, not to mention his little spat(s) with Rick Adelman.
    No surprise here as I see this as the same as what happened with Artest......the Rockets simply didn't try to keep him.

So, now we can all look forward to watching our rookies learn throughout the season, especially for me as I get to hopefully see more from James White.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who can't get by summer league players, White won't make the roster this year....I think he is gone.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

does not matter squat now

13. rocket3forlife2

James White is trash..I really don't understand why people are so quick to get excited about guys who are unproven vs a guys who has shown that he can play and who has even lit Kobe up for close to 30.Who is going to be our spark off the bench?Wafer had the ability some nights to get you 20 off the bench, we don't have that anymore.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How many of those offensive guys can get their own shot or a good shot? Brooks,Tracy, and yao when he's in position.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

James White can dunk like no other but in order to keep some roster spots open we have to get rid of him.
    No hard feelings.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

well I don't think you can blame him. EuroTeams do want to see him passing.

17. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Yes he does.

SC

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

He started doing that after that famous thread a few years ago when he realized he'd been arguing with himself for 6 pages. ;)

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good for Wafer. I wouldn't have minded him coming back at a reasonable price,we can live without him.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

People are enamored with White because he can make a good Youtube mix and is good on 2K9.