1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Billy Mays

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, Jun 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess we now know why he was such a good salesman. He was a coke head! Seriously, anyone that does cocaine in this day and age is an idiot. But, anyone doing cocaine over the age of 40 is a mega idiot. We are damn straight aware of how bad cocaine is for you...especially for your heart. Young people might be able to get away with snorting some that stuff. But, older people should be nowhere near that stuff. The Who might still have a bassist if John Entwistle wasn't doing this stuff. Back in the 70s and 80s and even some of the 90s, it may have been used with a naivety about the health impact. But, once it became clear that people were straight up dying from using the stuff, it should no longer be a drug of choice...especially among older people.

I get kind of pissed when I hear about older people doing this stuff.

Get serious, man! Go smoke a blunt...but leave the powder alone!!! Geez.

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I suppose you're responding to this?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hgD7fmgR6M4BDoANnCi4eq6xwo9QD99U9ND02

Autopsy: Cocaine contributed to Billy Mays' death

By MITCH STACY (AP) – 17 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. — An autopsy report shows that cocaine use contributed to the heart disease that suddenly killed TV pitchman Billy Mays in June, officials announced Friday.

The Hillsborough County medical examiner's office previously determined that the bearded, boisterous TV spokesman had a heart attack in his sleep. His wife found him unresponsive in bed in their Tampa condo June 28.

Mays was a pop-culture fixture with his energetic commercials pitching gadgets and cleaning products like Orange Glo and OxiClean.

While heart disease was the primary cause of death, a report released Friday by the medical examiner listed cocaine as a "contributory cause of death."

The medical examiner "concluded that cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of his heart disease, and thereby contributed to his death," the office said in a press release.

The office said Mays last used cocaine in the few days before his death but was not under the influence of the drug when he died. Hillsborough County spokeswoman Lori Hudson said nothing in the toxicology report indicated the frequency of Mays' cocaine use.

Cocaine can raise the arterial blood pressure, directly cause thickening of the left wall of the ventricle and accelerate the formation of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries, the release said.

The toxicology tests also showed therapeutic amounts of painkillers hydrocodone, oxycodone and tramadol, as well as anti-anxiety drugs alprazolam and diazepam. Mays had suffered hip problems and was scheduled for hip-replacement surgery the day after he was found dead.

The McKees Rocks, Pa., native developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "As Seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

He got his start on TV on the Home Shopping Network and then branched out into commercials and infomercials. He developed such a strong following that he became the subject of a reality TV series, Discovery Channel's "Pitchmen."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

3. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

As Rick James said "cocaine is a hell of a drug"

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

So he was an Oxi-Coke head? Wow.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Billy Mays here with the super straw!

Now do a rail in mere seconds!

3 people like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am not surprised he would have been on coke.

7. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

HEALTH NOTICE

When you turn 50 stop doing coke.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hmm

Hmm Member

so this parody, especially it's finale.. wasn't too far from the mark..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fGT6S1NzTc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fGT6S1NzTc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Its kind of creepy when his infomercials come on.........

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Awesome. :D

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, his infomercials are coming up every five minutes on NBA TV.

13. mosaik

mosaik Member

so true :(

14. tested911

tested911 Member

I remember watching his infomercials and say "Man that dude acts like he's on crack" Who would a thought I was right. :D

15. VanityHalfBlack

If you ever watch his interviews with Conan, he was always in an exuberant mood...

16. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

RIP, that being said the whole opiate addiction takes away some of the, man if he's that excited about an X or Y product it must be something I need. I was addicted to painkillers for a while and let me tell you I would be on cloud 9 dude, It took away all the sarcasm and personal insecurities from my personality. looking back it probably made me act a lot more like Billy Mays than jcee15.

#97 jcee15, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Having to be at that high level of energy ALL the time, naturally you'd consider some substance to keep that edge, whether its candy, coffee, or coke.

I've stopped the energy drink thing. If I'm feeling down, hell with it, I'm just down and will patiently and miserably wait for the up. Seems introducing something synethetic just always makes it worse later on. I've seen life is FULL of downs, holy geez. So with that, unfortunately cant keep the drugs away from adults. They should already know better and once they made that plunge it means desperation's taken over logic. Just gotta keep trying to keep it away from the kids.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, alcohol is way healthier than coke.

:rolleyes: