1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baseballa, Aug 7, 2009.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

All these predictions of USC in the title game will meet their demise on November 3 when Cal beats them in Berkeley!

It's one of those odd years where USC is rebuilding, Cal has tons of returning starters, and Cal gets USC early in the season while USC is working the kinks out.

This is the year! :cool:

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I didn't even notice that Ole Miss is in the top 10. Are they really that good? Nutt sure did turn that program around fast. Still can't believe he caught as much grief as he did from Hog fans although he did deserve some of it.

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

What, no Rice? :p

4. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

What's your point?

A true freshman safety who started every game for a 12-1 powerhouse. He was third on the team in tackles, and a key member of the #1 scoring defense in the conference. He was also honorable mention All Big-12.

He dropped what would've been a game-winning INT against Tech, which would've lead to a #1 ranking and a birth in the NC... get over it. You're basing his entire body of work off of one play.

You either don't watch Texas very often, or you're a fan of TAMU.

5. updawg

updawg Member

He says he's a rice fan but I think he's really an aggy

6. Major

Major Member

November 3rd isn't early in the season. :confused:

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Ole Miss is pretty good. They beat Florida last year.

8. Major

Major Member

bigtexxx said Texas didn't have a chance against USC either. I wouldn't look to him for college football guidance.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually neither

I just don't care for UT's filthy athletic program. Drunk drivers, drugs, weapons, criminals, scores of 6 on the wunderlich - basically everything college athletics and student athletes are not supposed to be.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

And basically everything every school has.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, athletes are supposed be let go by the west u cops!

and that's my only foray into a bigtexxx predictable ut bash. i'm a t-shirt fan, loud and proud!

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It MUST be getting close to football season now!

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Someone explain to me: What's the point of a preseason rank <--isn't this an oxymoron?

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Since the whole sport is based on voting, it needs a baseline to start with.

15. Major

Major Member

How is it an oxymoron? :confused: Rankings are people's subjective guesses of who's better than who. It may not be particularly accurate as a ranking 2 months from now since you have less data, but it's still a ranking.

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

You're right, why should they even bother playing the game this year since Texas won last year?

However, I'm thinking it will probably end up being Florida vs Texas for the national championship. I have a hard time seeing Texas being able to take down Florida, but I thought the same thing when they played USC so who knows.

And while we're at it can we just go ahead and put Ohio State vs Oklahoma in a BCS game so that at least one of them can put an end (at least temporarily) to their BCS woes? This is, of course, assuming that one of them would be able to somehow win this game.

17. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Gators win back-to-back. Everyone else is just playing for second place.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

my thoughts too. Just too much talent

19. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

It's an oxymoron because you are rewarding/punishing a team before any team takes a snap in the NEW season. Unlike other sports, where champions are crowned via a tournament, in which a preseason ranking has very little affect, the carry over of opinion in college football from the previous season has a huge impact on who gets to play for championship.

20. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

UF's window to capitalize on a championship was last year and now they've been able to extend it another year with Tebow and other starters returning. Tebow will get all the hype and accolades as usual, but the unit that will dictate how far they go is their defense. They basically return the entire 2-deep depth chart from last year's stellar unit.