1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Herald & Review] Brian Cook finds the silver lining

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Some info on poor Luther Head who does not have an NBA contract for next season as well.

[EDIT] By the way, I just posted this article just for The Yoyo!

1 person likes this.
  2. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

I am a huge Illini fan, and I absolutely love having them on my favorite NBA team. As much as I hate to admit it, I think they were great college players, but just not NBA players. Maybe there is a spot out there at the end of a roster for Luther?? I hope so anyway.

On a side note Illinois is going to be solid again this year!

3. Dei

Dei Member

Oh, boo-hoo.

4. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

What a freaking favor the Rockets did. :mad: At least Morey should have asked some decenter fillers like Gortat to replace Cook.

5. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

luther head is a great fit for european basketball, so there's no reason to worry about his future. :)

he's a great cutter, good shooter and he's a pretty good athlete. a lot of european teams would love to have him on their team. plus, he's very humble and coachable and he won't get abused as much on the defensive end over here.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

I rather have Luther than Brian Cook, James White, or Brent Barry.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The criticism of Luther Heard stemmed from the fact that he was being counted on to be the second most important perimeter option for this team. It's embarrassing to even type that. He was horrifically overmatched for such a role with his lack of size, smarts, and even basic level ball handling and passing. However, as a 10th man, I don't think you can do much better in the NBA than Luther Head. (This is why I never really understood why so many here angrily called for him to be waived as if merely having him on the roster had negative effects.) He cuts hard and is a pretty good shooter in regular season play.

Brian Cook on the other hand quite possibly might be the most pitiful basketball player to ever suit up for the Houston Rockets. And this is a list that includes Reece Gaines and Richard Petruska. There's nothing more cringe inducing than watching him waddle around on the court shooting flat-footed threes. I've never been so horrified in my life than while watching the Game 5 massacre as he attempted to play interior defense. For some comic relief, you will note that he routinely stays back on the offensive end after the other team rebounds and makes futile attempts to pressure the rebounder/ballhandler. Absolute hilarity.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

Me too, I'd cut White and bring Luther back. The other 2 have guaranteed contracts so they're not going anywhere.

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Yea, I really don't understand the Luther Head thing. He usually killed during the regular season.

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

Take it easy on our man Brian. He had a hand in the fate of the playoffs last year. The 2 teams in the finals both got to where they were by trading Brian Cook. First he was traded straight up from LA to Orlando for Ariza.... Then he got dealt in a 3 way for Rafer.... Just wait until we trade him, we'll be in the finals for sure....

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Cook can not really think that after this year He will remain in the league. He looks slow and looks lost in the playing court. If there is any chance for him to make a small impact next season, it has to be his shooting. This off season He should just shoot 1000 shots a day and hope that it helps him develop a consistent perimeter shot.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I would first try to see what White has to offer. He is athletic which the team needs badly. Can He develop his outside shot? Brent would just be there for veteran support. He can be like an assistant coach.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'd love to see Luther in a playoff game where he wasn't being guarded by Utah. I miss the dude.

And yes I would trade him for Brian Cook in a heartbeat.

14. Prince

Prince Member

looking at Cook's posture when he was playing in the playoffs, he was like a clown.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You are 2/3 right with that statement. But I would rather have James White than Luther Head. :)

16. piggy

piggy Member

May have to do with the irrational anger that comes from losing to Utah. Play poorly against Utah, and all good deeds are forgotten. Make one good play against even a hated former Jazz, and you will be beloved in clutch city, even if you've done diddly squat otherwise. (see: Nachbar, Bostjan).

Personally, after any playoff series loss to Dallas or Utah, I want heads to roll. I want firings and trades and waterboardings. This usually lasts through August. Then I start to get excited about the new season...

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the sooner Cook is off the team the better. He is one of those guys you love to see on the other team but not your own. Never had I had such hate for a Rockets player since Antoine Carr.

I didnt read the article sorry jsmee2000 but every minute spent reading about Cook could is a minute lost staring at the ceiling which I find more productive.

(RIP though about his father)

18. jsmee2000

C'mon...you didn't read it :p

Let us do some ACT / SAT analogy question:

1.) DaDakota: Von Wafer::

(A) The Yoyo: Brian Cook
    (B) Hayesfan: Chuck Hayes
    (C) ItsMyFault : T-Mac
    (D) BrooksBall : Aaron Brooks

HINT: I have highlighted the answer!

19. sbyang

sbyang Member

It's been a while since I took those tests, but it seems like you picked the only wrong answer.....

20. jsmee2000

That was the point! I know how much YY despises Cook.