1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] These five guys would benefit from a change of scenery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raibonsters, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Raibonsters

Raibonsters Member

Not sure if this has been posted or not (or if I put this is in the correct spot), but I found it interesting that TWO of our players were on this list. Kind of crazy.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/08/04/five.who.need.change/index.html

These five guys would benefit from a change of scenery
    By Fran Blinebury, for NBA.com
    Posted Aug 4 2009 10:22AM

Sometimes it's not about how you play or how much you play, but where you play.

Yesterday, we ran down a list of players over the past decade whose careers -- and the fortunes of their new teams -- benefitted from a change of scenery. Today we'll look at some current players who might be ready to take their acts to a new stage.

Tracy McGrady, Houston Rockets
    T-Mac is spending the summer working out in Chicago to rehabilitate his left knee following microfracture surgery in February. He has declared that he will come back strong, prove that he is still at the top of his game and will do it while wearing a Rockets uniform.

But the Rockets --- and a majority of their fans --- are probably ready to move on without McGrady. He is not likely to return until midway through the season, and without the injured Yao Ming and the departed Ron Artest, the Rockets hardly look like a true playoff team. McGrady's biggest value is his expiring $23.2 million contract -- tops in the league this season. If McGrady can get back onto the court and prove that he's fit, he could be appealing to true contender.

Carlos Boozer, Utah Jazz
    Despite his often solid work on the front line for the Jazz, Boozer hasn't been able to stay healthy and on the court long enough to justify his contract. He's missed 134 games over five seasons in Utah, and with the Jazz recently matching Paul Millsap's big offer from Portland, Boozer is being displaced and the Jazz have to slash from what is currently the highest payroll in the league.

Can he land in his offseason hometown of Miami and take the Heat to the next level? Could he wind up in Chicago to help the young Bulls raise their game? Both moves could be good fits and give Boozer a chance to hit the free-agent market next summer on the upswing.

Elton Brand, Philadelphia 76ers
    It might already be time for Brand to move on after one injury-plagued season and 29 games in Philly. Following surgery, Brand says he's ready to prove himself worthy of the five-year, $80 million free-agent contract that brought him to the Sixers. But with veteran point guard Andre Miller departed to Portland and the quarterbacking duties now in the hands of Lou Williams and rookie Jrue Holiday, Brand is not likely to get the ball so easily in scoring position.

Then there's the problem of him trying to mesh his low post, half-court game with the running and slashing style of Andre Iguodala that the Sixers want to emphasize. The wisest course might be to admit that this was never a good fit of styles and move on quickly.

Tyrus Thomas, Chicago Bulls
    The No. 4 overall pick in the 2006 Draft keeps teasing the Bulls with his potential. There are times when he's been the long-armed defender, aggressive shot-blocker and offensive wild-card that had so many mouths watering when he came out of LSU. But he hasn't delivered consistently enough to make a convincing case for himself as a prime contributor to an up-and-coming playoff team. After carrying a less-than-stellar attitude in his rookie season, there's been a cloud over him in Chicago.

Thomas came on strong at the end of last season and had his moments in the Playoffs. But they're still just moments. On a team that is getting Luol Deng back into the lineup and still juggling to see which pieces fit, Thomas could be the odd man out if the right deal (Boozer?) presents itself. With a fresh start, the young forward still full of potential would get to make a new first impression.

Shane Battier, Houston Rockets
    He's every coach and general manager's dream, the solid, workaholic veteran who loves doing all of the dirty work and all of the little things that don't show up in the box score but go a long way toward winning games. Trouble is, nobody expects the Rockets to be a Playoff team this season and Battier's talents could merely be squandered. Without Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Ron Artest, the Rockets will have a crying need for offense, which Battier doesn't bring.

Battier's catch-and-shoot style from behind the 3-point line is virtually identical to the newly acquired Trevor Ariza. The two also could duplicate each other on defense. A move to a contender would give the veteran Battier a chance to shine with his blue-collar skills and provide a team within arm's length of a championship a lockdown defender.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It'd be good for both the team and McGrady.

I'll always root for the rockets first, than for the team McGrady's on :)

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

You make me wonder.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It does bode well, to be sure. While I think the Rockets can squeak into the playoffs this year with a 7 or 8 seed, I think there's also the possibility of it all going south and being in the lottery as well. I hope for the former, however!

That being said, McGrady and Battier are AMAZING assets to have at the trade deadline next year. We can turn McGrady for great, young talent, or simply let him expire and turn Battier for expiring contracts. Those two players can give us huge amounts of flexibility going forward.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have a beef with the fact that everyone keeps listing "losing Artest" as a main reason why our team isn't playoff bound. Losing Ron barely makes our team worse, much less not playoff bound.

People act like we never got by before Ron. The guy made a mediocre positive difference. That was it.

Nevermind that the core of our team is as strong as it has EVER been; or that our team has character guys that will bring it every night and keep us in every contest. Let's constantly short change them in order to mention that Ron is leaving.

Aaaargh. It's in every article!!!
    "Rockets schedule leaks early.... this means they're not a playoff team because Ron Artest went to the Lakers."

"Houston Rockets trade for rights to Budinger... but don't look like a playoff team because Ron Artest went to the Lakers."

"Houston will have another "Luis Scola Wig Night this season... but they don't like like a playoff team because Ron Artest went to the Lakers."

WTH!! What is the fascination? Is it just because he went to the Lakers? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I agree that moving Barrter would be a good idea, especially with us needing scorers. But it is not likely to happen.

But as for Tracy McGrady, I do belive it would be good if he stayed. They guy has something to show, he wants to prove people wrong and there is no Yao Ming on the team. That means he will have to again become they guy on this Rockets team when he comes back, and in my eyes that will give him an opportunity to 'rebuild' his image.

7. joesr

joesr Member

So we would would have gotten to the 2nd round with Donte Greene sitting on the bench for us?

I agree to disagree. A whole crap load.

This article says we are not a TRUE PO contender. I agree to agree. We have a chance for a 8th see maybe 7th but truth is just about all the western teams got better while we (compared to them) sat idle.

8. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

One only has to look at the author to explain why we have two players on the list...

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Turbo! :eek:

Is that really you???

Come back puuupppuuuupuuplease come back!!!!! :(

10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

yeah, that's the problem that T-Mac always shine by himself... VC/Hill/Yao? 1 in, the other out.

11. Raibonsters

Raibonsters Member

DEFINITELY agree with that. I remember seeing that ESPN article that basically said Ariza > Artest, so technically, we can succeed. We did good without TMac and Yao in those playoff games against Lakers (well for the most part, plus they did win the championship, so we can compete against lesser teams). So, we're in good shape, I'm excited to see how the rooks perform and if Andersen will be good.

12. tmacwillbeback

fran is a homer he always bashes t mac

13. jackie_moon23

jackie_moon23 Member

I'm not getting my hopes too high, but the anticipation of what assets like McGrady and Battier could bring at the deadline might be the biggest thing to look forward to this season. I doubt we'll get anything too big, but I would love to acquire some more young, long term talent. Who that could be, I'm not sure, but if McGrady comes back scoring 20-25 PPG on 44-45% shooting, the stakes could be even higher. There's bound to be somebody hanging on the edge of serious contention that would want that kind of guy. If he comes back healthy and in shape, all of the sudden Tmac won't seem so aging. He is only 30 after all.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At least they didn't have Morey on that list yet! Yikes.

15. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I agree. If anything I think we are better without Artest. That guy didn't bring much to the table other than his awful shooting percentage and mediocre defense.

16. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i'm curious to see how our team would play with an up tempo style now that yao is out. if tmac comes back strong, looks like it wouldn't be too bad of a season. i'm pretty confident our core guys are still gonna bring the toughness and be improved so i don't think we'll "tank" this season at all.

as for artest ... thing is ... the "experts" do make a point in that shane battier and ariza do play the same kinda game for the most part. the thing that made battier and artest awesome was they brought different dynamics to the game that complimented each other well. we all know the weird and not to mention awkward style of play that artest brought, but there's no denying that the dude brought toughness and it was contagious for the rest of our team. his presence will be missed some but i still like the idea of having 2 good wing defenders in battier and ariza ... hopefully ariza will show us some skills he hasn't been able to show while with the lakers.

17. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

The Rockets can hardly avoid getting dissembled. :(

18. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

I believe some teams are waiting for T-Mac to come back and see how he plays. If he comes back strong we could end up with some nice young talent or a high lottery pick.

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

D@mn....the team has won 50+ games in the last 3 years. Now were suppose to give our pieces (Shane) to a rival contender because this year will be a wash? What about next year and the year after next? I guess they (mainstream) believe the Rockets are officially done and the rebuilding has started.....someone needs to tell Les and Darryl because I don’t think they got the memo. lol

2010...The rockets are back to a 50+ team. No need to trade our pieces, you build and get stronger for next year. Maybe a blessing in disguise.

20. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Likely scenarios. Morey is probably playing the field right now by fielding offers but is not moving until Tmac plays again. The major trade he mentioned might be a Tmac trade after all.