1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox.com] Clippers to Meet with Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 3, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Von was able to flourish with an open lane to the basket since Yao was constantly being fronted. Doubt he could be very much of a contributer for other teams or even this team w/o Yao.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

1 person likes this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

fwiw: http://www.insidesocal.com/clippers/

In a blog entry on Sessions, there is a Von-able note.

Where would Sessions fit?
    By Ramona Shelburne on July 29, 2009 1:44 AM
    The Clippers rumored interest in Milwaukee restricted free agent Ramon Sessions is real. The urgency of signing the former D-Leaguer has dimmed a bit after last weeks' trade for Sebastian Telfair.

The Clippers felt strongly they needed a veteran point guard to back up Baron Davis. Last year they hoped Jason Hart could play that role, but that clearly didn't work out. Hart ended the season on the Nuggets bench.

Second-year man Mike Taylor was pressed into early duty and was showing signs of improvement before a thumb injury cost him two months of the season. The Clippers are still high on him, but don't want to rush his development by forcing him into the primary back-up role.

The team still likes Sessions, but bought itself some serious leverage by acquiring Telfair.

Telfair is a proven commodity in the league and the Clippers feel fine with him as their No. 2 PG. His contract is also very tradeable. It doesn't hurt that he's young with room to grow.

So what would happen if Clippers signed Sessions? Would they carry four PGs? For now the team is taking a ``cross-those-bridges-when-they-come-to-them'' attitude.

I was also told not to go too far down line with these hypothetical questions as negotiations with Sessions aren't past ``50-yard-line'' yet.

Also: Sessions is hardly the only backcourt player Clippers have contacted this offseason. One source said the team has put feelers out to just about every combo-guard on the market.

One other housekeeping note: The Clippers still have a qualifying offer out to restricted free agent sharp-shooter Steve Novak.

3. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Does not sound good for Von. He better sign with the Rockets before He runs out of a team to play for. Start begging Morey, Von. :D

4. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Baron can also be used as a SG IMHO

5. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I did a google search to see if I found any news on this and I found this here:

I wonder if it is his real twitter.

#85 jsmee2000, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This really reminds me of stephen jackson situation with san antonio. He didn't have the same blowup, but a little out of control,young player. The spurs don't win the 2nd title without the huge shots made by Jackson. Remember, this is parkers and manu's rookie yr and manu isn't playing a lot. The spurs had a value for him and he thought it was somewhere else. He went to the hawks and put up good numbers on a sorry team but got basically a mid level deal. As time has pased, jackson has been a better player than his contract. Jackson is a pretty good player from the wing spot.What i'm saying and I've said it before is that whatever plan the rockets have, it should have wafer in it. If its a rebuild, he's 24 or if its contending he's 10ppg off the bench. Maybe when the clippers offer him a deal that morey gets a chance to match. To me, he will be better than any first rd sg this yr.I guess we will see.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What is interesting to me is that VW had a 'break-out' kind of year, and doesn't appear to be in much demand - even tho there are no (public anyway) claims for even a $2mm deal.

I want Wafe back; I love seeing a rough, uncut gem get turned into beautiful jewelry (on my 'watch') and I don't want it being worn by another suitor.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

exactly, one more good year and he'll be getting more than 3M.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

He knows english but only too lazy to type.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

u shur bout dat?

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

It's probably his real Twitter, he told one of the Garm members the exact same thing "The Rox don't want me" when he played at the Fonde. We'll probably find out soon, he had his lunch with Dunleavy.

12. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

That tweet is from July 3rd - and that twitter could be fake.

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

And lose whatever He has accomplished last year. I guess for Von its about the money right now. If He can just be patient enough to show his skills and develop it further then He will have his day next off season. Damn those managers. :mad:

14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

It's interesting, Jackson was actually the 3rd leading scorer for the Spurs in the playoffs that year, behind Duncan and Parker. And he actually had better shooting percentages than Parker, to go along with more rebounds and better defense (less assists and more turnovers though).

And I totally agree regarding Wafer. We're not talking about some 35 year old stopgap who's asking for a huge contract. We're talking about a guy who's younger than both of our 'young studs' Brooks and Landry, and he's basically asking for the same type of salary, if not less. If we can find a shooting guard as young as Wafer, as cheap as Wafer, and as proven as Wafer, then fine, replace Wafer. But we're not going to find a player like that.

IMO an ideal scenario would be to sign Wafer to a 3 year deal where he gets the rest of our MLE this season (what is that, like 3 mil and change?), and team options for the same salary or higher each of the next two seasons. Wafer gets paid handsomely, and we don't lose any financial flexibility (Von basically becomes an expiring contract).

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

BobS, I know about the value that morey will hold firm to and to a sense, he should. I just wonder what that value is for von's age and production. I'm willing to bet if the offer was 3yrs 6m, wafer would be happy and the organization wouldn't regret it either. He would start or come off the bench and he will avg 13 ppg. If he got to play 30 mins which I don't see why he wouldn't, he will avg 16 per and shoot a good %. I think that's about what he will sign for with the clipps.

16. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Well put, my friend. Couldn't have said it any better.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Thanks for that interesting tidbit i heard about the qualifying offer earlier didnt know it was still out there

18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I'm just thinking this. Lets say we have 3.5 million left from the MLE, and Morey values Wafer at, I don't know, 2 million/year. Instead of saying "Well, that's too bad, can't go over 2 mil for a 2 mil player", what we should do is give Wafer all of that 3.5 million this year. You can't "carry over" the MLE from year to year, so there's literally no incentive to not spend it, unless you're talking about spending it on a long-term contract. Therefore...

In return, Wafer would agree to give us team options for the next 2 years at that same salary. That would satisfy Wafer, and it would satisfy all the people saying "Oh no! We can't break the bank and give Wafer 3 years, 6 million!! What about the summer of 2010!!!" If Wafer shows that he's not worth 3.5 million, then we just let him walk, and it's all good.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It's unecessary to sign Wafer right now. The only thing that Morey should do is to cut the team salary under the lux tax line.

20. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Von is finding that his talents are not as valueable as he originally thought. He wont take minimum. but i think he will take something like a 2 year deal at bout 2 mil a year, especially since we have the minutes to give to him. The starting SG spot could be his depending on whether or not we get rid of shane b4 the season. I hope not :)