1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Norris Apperciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Aug 2, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I know where talking about 1 start and alot of young pitchers have started out great on the 1st start but this kid just look electric out there limiting the Cards to 2 hits. After watching Ortiz and Hampton just getting killed over the last month along with injuries to our three top guys in Puma, Roy and Wandy seeing Bud go out there and be the Stopper really felt like a bolt of lighting hitting this club! If he can continue to pitch good and Roy along with Wandy continue to pitch as dominant we can hang around till Puma returns to ignite the Offense!

Bud Norris 7 IP 2 hits 0 R 0 ER 5 k 4 BB

http://footer.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/08/this_buds_for_you_astros_fans.html

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Astros finally have a young upcoming pitcher.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No different than Felipe Paulino, who throws 97+ MPH, and who'se first start was 6IP, 6K, 3 hits, 2BB, 0 runs.

If you get yourself worked up, you will be extremely disapointed when the league has seen him and adjusts. Both Norris and Paulino are good upcoming young pitchers. Neither is particularly well suited to adjusting when the league gets a book on them.

4. Poloshirtbandit

5. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

isnt it up and coming, not upcoming? just sayin...

However, it is just one start, don't get too excited just yet.

6. rockets934life

Paulino first game he got shelled 4 Inngs, 5 R 5 ER 1BB 3k...but point understood.

Just the atmosphere and importance of this game was so high which impressed me so much but yea just one start could go in many different directions but just like I said after Hampton/Ortiz year of crap starts it was a breath of fresh error to get someone who doesn't work around hitters throwing in the mid 80's.

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

How come you conclude this?

8. Angle02

Angle02 Member

That's that I was thinking... Let him get a few starts in before starting an "appreciation" thread for him... Now if he does bad the rest of the season the entire Clutchfans board will want the OP's head... lol

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

well obviously when a pitcher throws in the mid-90's with good movement and is good at keeping the ball low in the zone, that sets him up for being a pitcher that will have a hard time adjusting.

10. rockets934life

Well 2 reasons why I didn't wait for a few starts for this thread...

1) If we lose Sunday we fall 6 1/2 behind the Cards and look at the two schedules for the next few weeks...Cards have an EASY schedule while Stros not so much. So while A LOT of people will disagree I think Sunday was the most important game of the year to stay in this race!

2) Bud had to replace Roy in rotation for the biggest game of the season and the Stros asked him to be a Stopper in St Louis vs one the hottest hitters on the planet. We had lost 2 heartbreakers in a row and were on life support so this kid comes in and throws 7 innings of 2 hit shutout ball!!! Never mind the mental aspect of the game for a Rookie.

Love this kid and I am pretty confident this kid will be our quality 3rd or 4th starter by year end!

11. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

@thescorer Bud Norris' first career start of 7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER exactly the same as Carlos Hernandez's from 2001. -Z about 19 hours ago from web

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hopefully he doesn't slide headfirst into a bag.

13. rockets934life

Dont remind me, when Carlos started so darn strong I was his number 1 fan and to see his injury wasn't even a pitching injury, if I remember correctly, its so darn fustrating especially after seeing the post Rotator Cuff Hernandez who could barly throw 88mph...

14. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Poor control and limited pitch repertoire.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Poor control? Yes
    Limited pitches? No

Norris has 3 pitches which is what you need to be an effective starter in the majors. And who is to say any player won't learn to throw another type of pitch?

16. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

He has two pitches that he is comfortable with. And while I'm sure he can learn new pitches, he probably won't learn them over the next three or four starts before all the National League teams get a book on him.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if it only takes 3 or 4 starts to "get a book on him", I would think he'd have been scouted already in the minors. After all...these teams do have..scouts.

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm not really speaking in abstracts or hypotheticals. This is what happens to pitchers who would tend towards being "throwers" when they get called up. They get a period of one or two games and teams kind of "figure them out" and they have to adjust a bit.

Now that you are making me think about it, I'm going to guess that it has to do with having video for players to look at before facing the pitcher, but I don't really know with any certanty why it happens. I just know it has time and time again to young starters, and the ones who tend to have an easier time adjusting are the ones who are more able to mix up location and pitch type.

19. msn

msn Member

All reasonable points. I hope he's the second coming of Tim Lincecum, too; but he did give out four or five free passes the other day.

20. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

in the minors for their careers, bud norris had fewer BB/9, higher K/9, better K/BB ratio, and had an ERA nearly half a run lower than paulino. not guaranteeing anything, but i think that's at least a reason for optimism.