1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin - Jermaine O'neal - Rasheed Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rasheed Wallace - 6'11" 230lbs (19.3ppg, 8.2rbg, 1.2bpg)
    Jermaine O'neal - 6'11" 242lbs (19.0ppg, 10.5rpg, 2.3bpg)

Eddie Griffin - 6'10" 220lbs (8.8ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.8bpg)

I checked out the player stats from ESPN.com as I wanted to get an idea how Griffin stacked up against Wallace and Oneal in terms of height and weight (also included a few stats for comparrison sake). I always thought that Griffin's game could be similar to Wallace's and Oneal's game. I think everyone would agree that both Wallace and O'neal are great players and that Griffin has the potential to be in the same class. Can Griffin eventually raise his game to have compariable numbers to Wallace and O'neal?

If Griffin does end up growing an inch over the last year and does end up putting on even 10 to 15 more pounds of muscle since last season he would physically be in Wallace's class.

Some have said that having Ming and Griffin in the low post, that while we would have two above average shot blockers, we would also have a "weak" inside presence (i.e. not very physical).

If Griffin bulked up to Wallace/J. Oneal size and Ming put on some pounds (bulked up upper body) would people feel that our inside presence would not be there? I think we would have a very compariable inside presence to the rest of the league.

Ming and Griffin are very young and I think they both could stand to gain a lot of muscle weight but I think if we give them time they will fill out and be a dynamite offensive/defensive PF/C combo.

Just some random thoughts. ;)

Chris

2. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Eddie Griffin will have much better three point range than Jermaine O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Although I think you underestimate Rasheed's range, you are right that EG will be better than the both of them. I just want to see him stop taking as many and try to do somthing off the dribble.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

He definately underestimated Sheed's range. Sheed hit 36% compared to Griff's 33%. I would have thought that Sheed would be heavier than O'neal. Sheed looks really solid while Jermaine is kind of KG skinny but strong.

5. MManal

MManal Member

One thing about these listings of height and weight. These are not always accurate and a lot of times dont get updated from year to year. Rasheed Wallace has basically been listed in the 225-230 range his whole career. If you compare Sheed from when he came into the league to now, its a big difference. My guess is that Sheed is probably more like 245.

As far as Eddie Griffin goes. If he can bulk up to 245 and still maintain his quickness and touch, I'd be happy with that. However, this type of thing takes time. Slopping on 30 pounds in a hurry esp to a skill/finesse player like Griffin would adversly affect his touch and quickness. It would probably take till about Griffin's 3rd or 4th season to really get him into this kind of condition. From what I have heard (Feigan on 610), the Rockets plan Griffin's third season to really be his coming out party.

In addition to the size and strength issue, a player has to develop the defensive minded mentality. Its hard to tell at this stage if Griffin is willing to get into the trenches and really try to stop guys from getting great position on the block or if he's just going to be a pogo stick and block shots. Its still a question that will have to be answered.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That would mean he'd have to learn how to dribble first.