1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC] Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by farrisdabis, Jul 28, 2009.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

mir only got 45,000 for his fight with lesnar; that is insane! :eek:

2. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

How is that any different from anything else? The top guys get paid very well and most don't. If you are in the main event or a top name, you are going to get paid very well. If you are jerking the curtain, you get very little. That is just how it is in everything . While I do think that they should get a bit more, I do know that the companies that have tried that are now out of business.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nog already tried 3 times so I don't see it happening unless its just one of those days in MMA.

Mir - I don't think he could withstand Fedor's explosiveness. Fedor is just too fast and powerful for Mir. He would overwhelm him and I don't see Mir wearing Fedor out to where he would make a mistake.

Brock- Brock always has a chance since he's so big and relatively fast. However, if Fedor can avoid getting totally pinned down by Brock, I don't see how he could lose. Fedor is just too fast and powerful. Brock has never been hit with the power Fedor generates from all positions.

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

This would be great. I'd love to see lesnar shut up finally.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When they are bringing in 50mil per event they can afford to pay their guys better. 45k for frank mir. I am assuming a trainer gets a cut. After all the training costs and taxes I wonder how much he would make. I think UFC can afford to pay their fighters better.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you sure that mir didn't get a ppv cut?

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I would pay upwards of $500 for pay per view to watch Fedor shut Lesner's mouth.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Well at his press conference today he did say he was negotiating with the UFC, but honestly I don't think it will ever happen. They have negotiated before to no avail and I don't see how this time it will be any different. He is going to be the face of the new EA MMA game and that certainly won't help the chances of him landing in the UFC either.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so you're telling me there's a chance

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...intense-but-will-likely-drag-past-friday.html

Sources: Fedor-UFC talks 'intense' but will likely drag past Friday

11:21 AM, July 29, 2009

The chief operating officer of Fedor Emelianenko's promotional company, M-1 Global, confirmed to The Times in an e-mail early this morning that the heavyweight, considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, is engaged in "intense negotiations with the UFC."

Joost Raimond told The Times that contract talks "are ongoing, but we have not reached any kind of agreement at this time."

On Tuesday, another source close to Emelianenko's camp told The Times it made sense that the "very civil" talks between Emelianenko, his people and the UFC would be the subject of a news conference call the UFC has scheduled for Friday. A UFC official did not dismiss the suggestion that the two events were linked.

However, the original source told The Times today it would now be surprising for UFC and Fedor to have a deal signed by Friday. The source requested anonymity because authorization hasn't been given to speak publicly on the issue.

The sides have been separated in the past by issues including the number of fights in the contract (the UFC wants six) and they have to address Emelianenko's business connection to M-1. No deal-breaking event has happened since yesterday, the source said, but negotiations are complex and will likely require "more than 48 hours."

A UFC spokeswoman said Tuesday that the special Friday news conference would "not be [UFC President] Dana [White] talking about UFC 101," scheduled for next month in Philadelphia, but she provided no more information about the subject of the call.

The Times' attempts to reach White and company owner Lorenzo Fertitta since Tuesday have been unsuccessful.

The Sun website in England is reporting that the UFC is planning to announce a venture that will allow ESPN to broadcast UFC events in England.

The UFC is also reportedly mulling how to handle the contracts of other fighters who were part of Affliction Entertainment, which canceled its Saturday show starring Emelianenko (30-1) at Anaheim's Honda Center after his scheduled opponent, Josh Barnett, tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

Emelianenko is scheduled to conduct a news conference today in Anaheim to discuss his post-Affliction plans, M-1 has announced. He has long maintained that he wants to fight the best possible opponent, and the UFC offers that person in its heavyweight champ, Brock Lesnar.

But Emelianenko could leave the U.S. as early as today, the source said.

10. FR0497

FR0497 Member

He does, and he gets other payments from other sources of income like fight bonuses, endorsements, etc..... The $45k is just his guaranteed pay out for the fight.

Back on topic, I really hope Dana can sign Fedor. Brock and Fedor would be one hell of a fight.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

^^^

sweetness

12. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Story

M-1: No Fedor in UFC Without Co-Promoting

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Fedor Emelianenko, the top-ranked heavyweight in the world, will not fight in the UFC unless Dana White and company agree to co-promote with Emelianenko’s partners at M-1 Global.

M-1 Global CEO Vadim Finkelstein made that clear Wednesday at a news conference. Finkelstein confirmed that M-1 Global had negotiated with UFC officials as recently as Tuesday.

“We are open,” Finkelstein said. “We do want to work with the UFC. We do want to work with other promotions.”

Finkelstein said the UFC made a new offer to Emelianenko, and M-1 Global made a counteroffer. However, Finkelstein said Emeliananko would not proceed without a co-promotional effort between M-1 and the UFC where they shared expenses and profits.

Finkelstein also communicated that the UFC's representation in the media of his negotiations with the organization has not been accurate. He said Emelianenko has been made completely aware of any deals, past and present, that have been offered.

“I have 100 percent faith in Vadim and M-1 Global," Emelianenko said.

M-1 Global also pressured the UFC by saying they are in talks with other shows, including Strikeforce.

“We're not going to wait,” Finkelstein said. “We have to move forward. It might be that very soon we will be able to announce a deal with another promotion. I'm going to tell you that we're only going to work under co-promotion conditions.”

Joe Hall contributed to this report.

With this story you can say goodbye to any chance that he will EVER fight in the UFC.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

they should have the talks on PPV :D

14. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

read their amendment to the story at the bottom

UPDATE, 3:30 p.m. ET on 7/29/09: A source close to the UFC makes the prospects of Emelianenko fighting in the UFC sound much more promising. The source said UFC officials have devoted much of their resources to working on a deal to sign the fighter in time for an official announcement during Friday's media call, as the L.A. Times initially reported. Sources close to M-1, though, continue to state such a deal is "unlikely."

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh well, maybe we'll get to see Lesnar/ Mir III -- or maybe another pro wrestler can come over to UFC and challenge Brock. I'm thinking Intercontinental Champion Rey Mysterio would be an excellent match up for Lesnar.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

here is what our old buddy carmichael dave is reporting....

By: Carmichael Dave
    CBS Radio MMA Host
    Twitter.com/Carmichaeldave

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote.

I can tell you right now, the boys at ZUFFA will never, EVER agree to that. So if M-1 doesnt relent on that item alone, the Fedor to UFC talks are dead. Look for Team Emelianenko to turn to Strikeforce next. With co-promotions already in the books with Affliction, that shouldnt be a stopping point.

I will have more comprehensive coverage on my show tonight at 9pm PST. You can stream live at www.khtk.com and call toll free at 1-800-920-1140. Twitter updates to the minute at twitter.com/carmichaeldave

Updated: 6:55 PST

that is a pretty huge freaking deal for 1 fighter. 5 mil per + ppv for fedor + ppv for m1 + being allowed to wear m1 gear + being allowed to compete in sambo competitions. i know fedor's team keeps saying they want "co-promotion" garbage but there is no way they can pass that deal up. it is the biggest deal in mma history. edit: i'm starting to wonder now if that 5 mil per fight is a max fedor can get after ppv bonus and stuff because a 5 mil base would be absurd relative to other top ufc fighters

i posted this on another site in response to someone about m-1's demands to dana and it pretty much sums up why i feel like m-1 is just posturing now

#57 robbie380, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Anyone that turns down that deal is ****ing r****ded. I think Dana is conceding too much in that deal anyway. M-1 is nuts.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://ringpsychology.wordpress.com...he-ufc-spin-the-real-details-on-fedors-offer/

Don’t Believe The UFC Spin: The Real Details on Fedor’s Offer
    By Ty Lannister

The MMA media is abuzz with the latest in the Fedor Emelianenko-UFC negotiations. Carmichael Dave, one of the UFC’s favorite go-to guys in the media, announced the terms Zuffa is offering Fedor:

The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That’s 5 mil a fight
    - The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot
    - Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor’s purse.
    - Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.
    - The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.
    Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote

That’s the story. The question: why is everyone buying it? Our new special contributor Jonathan Snowden, the author of Total MMA: Inside Ultimate Fighting has the real scoop on the UFC’s offer.

“The numbers being floated there are a little misleading. The UFC’s offer of $30 million over six fights isn’t a guarantee,” Snowden learned from a source. “The number is based on Zuffa’s projections of what Fedor’s take of the PPV money would be, and the numbers they are projecting are based on selling a ton of PPV’s. The actual guarantee for Fedor is much more modest. It’s true that if business stays at record levels Fedor could walk away with $30 million. But that is no guarantee.”

In reality, this is a deal no more generous than many others Zuffa has offered to most of their top fighters. It’s a deal that is risky for a fighter like Fedor who prefers getting his money up front, rather than take a risk on whether the UFC’s business will continue to grow.

As long as Fedor can get guaranteed money elsewhere, he isn’t likely to take a chance on a deal that only pays him huge money if the business model continues to grow at an astounding rate. He seems willing to wait for the next promotion to come along and throw money at him: guaranteed money.

20. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I will be SHOCKED if Fedor ever fights in the UFC. It is really sad too for a fighter who could go down as the greatest of all time. The UFC wants him, but his manager will not let him fight without M-1 being all over everyhting that has to do with Fedor. The UFC is a company and is not going to let someone else come in and put their name all over their product. I wouldn't co-promote with a company for one fighter. The UFC would pay him and pay him well, but he will end up with Strikeforce, Dream, Sengou, etc. Right now I consider him the best MMA fighter ever. If he does not sign with the UFC and fight the top level guys (90% of whom are in the UFC) then there is no way I can consider him as the best fighter anymore. Fighting a washed up Tim Sylvia and a glass chinned Andrei Arlovski does nothing to help him. He needs to fight Lesnar, Carwin, Gonzaga, Couture, Kongo, Velazquez, etc. if he wants to maintain any part of his legacy.