1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros try to aquire Roy Halladay?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Poloshirtbandit

These type of trades rarely work out.

Also, let's say the Astros were 10 games under .500 right now and the Blue Jays were a couple games out of first place in their division. Would you accept a bunch of average minor league players for Oswalt?

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The more the Stros win the more I think Wade and Drayton(Tal) are tempted to make some type of move with the few resources we have. I think we will sweep the Mets now with Santana out of the way but the key will be the Cubs series next week...we split or win 3 out of 4 and I believe we do something....HOWEVER I thought Morey would trade Battier and that doesnt appear likely now so who knows...lol

3. what

what Member

I'd say the Astros go for Matt Stairs, Professional Hitter!

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Don't be so sure. If we don't resign Miggy, then that may create room in Drayton's wallet. Off course if we did that, most of our core would be in their mid 30s and likely start on the downslope, so I'm not sure it would be wise to offer him the 5 year deal is agent will probably ask for.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if this is true, and the Jays hold firm, then it's likely Halladay will be Jay after the trade deadline has passed.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

phils won't mean demands, per espn.

this is starting to feel like the way the Randy Johnson deal went down, isn't it?

7. rockets934life

Agree...Toronto is playing Hardball and its seems there shooting for the stars, Philly probably feels like its something they need to do so they will cave...BUT I still think a surprise team might make a push at the last second like the Stros did for RJ but hopefully its not the Brewers.

8. rockets934life

10:46am: Jayson Stark at ESPN says that the Phillies are now balking at the Blue Jays' asking price, which was formally presented Thursday as J.A. Happ, Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown. It's believed they're hoping to substitute Carlos Carrasco for one of Happ or Drabek, particularly Drabek.

Keep hope alive!

9. MadMax

this is what i've been saying...the jays are going to have to take far less than they've suggested is their "price" for Halladay. No one is going to give all that up.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Or they'll just keep him. They don't have to trade him before next year. They only want to deal him now in the hopes that they can get a megadeal for him. They may get less than what they are asking for now, but he's not going to be traded for a minor package.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I doubt they give up Happ because he is already in the majors and pitching well.

12. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

what does free agency look like after this season?

13. Major

Major Member

Even the lower offer that the Phillies are hoping for is better than anything the Astros remotely have. Separately, they already offered their 3 best AAA prospects but were turned down.

14. MadMax

yeah, i didn't necessarily mean the astros were going to end up with him because of this.

i just think their asking price is nuts.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Astros did?

16. rockets934life

17. TheBigAristotle

lololololololololol

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Toronto appears to want Drabek, Happ, and some other top fielding prospect from the Phillies. Drabek and Happ is just too much for Halladay, IMO, and the Phillies appear to think the same thing. Two potential front-line starters for a 1.5 year rental? That's a big price to pay.

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I think we should go after a lower tier pitcher -- i.e. a Zach Duke type.

We just don't have the prospects for Halladay. Think about it -- all 3 of the players we dealt for Big Unit had success in the majors.

We don't have 3 can't miss prospects like that today.

20. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Jays want Holland, Feliz, Smoak and change from Texas For Halladay.. Are they insane?