1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao in his prime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josephduyho03, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Can Yao lead the 93-94 Rockets to a championship like Hakeem did?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

416 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. ThaBlackKnight

Yao couldn't, neither could Drob, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, DH12...Hakeem was just MUCH more versatile than all of them...

Those guys need somebody to set them up...Dream doesn't really need that, he can create from 15-20 feet out at times...he doesn't have to be posted up on the block to produce, unlike the guys I listed.

With Drexler in 95, maybe Shaq since he would take care of the rebounding and interior presence, Drob, to a lesser extent...but I'm still leaning towards no for all of them.

2. AB#0

AB#0 Member

A better question: Could Hakeem lead the 09-010 Rockets to the championship??

3. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

Anyone who voted yes should be banned from ClutchFans for life. Yao is a great center, but he is no where near Hakeem. If you combine Yao and Dwight Howard, then you would have hakeem. LOLLLLL it takes 2 centers to do what one did.

I miss the good ole days.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

easily

5. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i like/appreciate yao a bunch but i dont believe he woulda been able to pull it off.

dream in his prime in this day and age ... championship.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Who are the 45 people who voted "yes"?

I love Yao as much as the next guy, but there's just no way.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I don't think Yao can win any championship with that lakers team. Shaq was the reason why they won those championship. He was a force and no one could stop him. His stats are amazing. He was extremely dominant and he was a player that teams go crazy on how to slow him down. Yao is no where near that level.

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Lebron would win MVP and DPOY in the same season one day just because the Nba league office is so anxious to give him that. But I think the dream is better and more dominating because Hakeem is great and very humble about it.

9. ThaBlackKnight

I think Tim Duncan could have led the 94 team to a title...thats the only big man I'm taking from the last 20 years.

He wasn't as athletic as Olajuwon, but he was bigger, just as skilled but less flashy, both could take their man off the dribble and post up.

Duncan's jumper isn't quite as good as Dream's though, but he posts up closer to the basket a lot more than Dream did in 94. (He takes simpler, easier shots.)

Duncan is just a a little bit worse from the free throw line as well.

But Tim Duncan at his absolute BEST (2003 playoffs) would've been able to lead the 94 Rockets to a title IMO, especially with a big Power Forward like Otis Thorpe.

However, the Finals would be a lot closer...Olajuwon's athleticism/shot-blocking really bothered Ewing and he had a subpar series because of it.

Duncan is a solid defender, and bigger than Dream, but I don't know how much that bothered Ewing...

But Duncan is the ONLY other big man from the last 20 years that would be remotely close IMO. Yao...not athletic/dominant enough at both ends.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

how about a guy named SHAQ? hakeem was the only center who schooled him. you take him out of the picture, shaq in his 2nd year already got to the finals. you take a mature shaq in his prime, he would do the same.

but i don't know if they put the stats dream put up though in those 2 championship runs

11. ThaBlackKnight

Well, the only thing about Shaq is, he needs a playmaking/dynamic wing or point guard.

Penny Hardaway, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Steve Nash, Lebron James.

Granted, he makes their job easier as well, but Shaq can't hit free throws, Shaq can't step out and shoot a 10-15 foot jumper if teams begin to double team him.

The 94 Rockets best playmakers were Sam Cassell (rookie) and Vernon Maxwell (knucklehead, ticking timebomb)

not exactly elite wing/ point guard...thats why I didn't include Shaq...in 95 with Drexler...sure, more than likely.

Teams would just foul Shaq and take their chances with a 50 % free throw shooter...plus his power forwards have usually been able to step out to 15ft to 3 point range to hit jumpers: Horace Grant, Robert Horry, Udonis Haslem/Antoine Walker, Amare Stoudamire... gonna be a problem in Cleveland.

Otis Thorpe is great around the basket with his catcher's mitt hands, but his hands were too big to have a good touch, just like Shaq. Without room, it'll be hard for Shaq to do make any moves down low.

He makes everybody else's job easier, but he's lucky to have had smart GM's who know how to build around him...he's great in so many ways, but also has glaring weaknesses as well. Very unique player.

Basically, the Rockets would get open 3 point shots since teams will just double Shaq, but those shots won't always go in...we make the playoffs, but don't win a title living/dying by the 3 pointer.

12. ThaBlackKnight

Duncan beat him in 99 and 2003, but he didn't school Shaq...Olajuwon didn't school him either contrary to popular belief...Shaq had a very solid series, so did Penny Hardaway and Horace Grant...

the problem with Orlando was that Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott shot AWFUL!! in 3 of the 4 games. 30%ish.

Plus their bench was only Brian Shaw and he didn't show up every game...the Rockets were clicking on all cylinders...

Game 1:

Dream (31 pts 7 ast, 4 blk, 2 stl), Drexler (23 pts, 7 ast, 11 reb) , Horry (19 pts 3 stl, 5 blk), and Smith (7 3pt, 9 ast) and Elie (18 pt, 3 stl) show up big time.

Game 2:

Dream (34 pts, 11 reb, 4 blocks) , Drexler(23 pts), Cassell (31 pts) and Horry (7 steals, 10 reb, 2 blocks) show up big time.

Game 3:

Dream (34 pt, 14 reb, 7 ast, 2 stl) , Drexler (25 pts, 13 reb, 7 ast), Horry (20 pts, 9 reb, 1 stl, 2 blk), Elie (17 pts)

Game 4:

Dream (35 pts, 15 reb, 6 ast), Drexler (15 pts, 9 reb, 8 ast, 2 stl), Horry (21 pt, 13 reb, 5 ast, 1 stl), Elie (22 pts 9/11 fg, 4 stl), Cassell (13 pts, 4 ast, 1 stl)

Shaq, Penny, and Grant showed up big for every game...too bad Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and Brian Shaw decided they didn't have to every game...Shaq and Penny played exceptionally well for 2 young players, but they can only do so much...they needed help.

Olajuwon got plenty of help in that series, but he did lead the way.

13. Super Von

Super Von Member

Stupid thread.

Hes not Hakeem. Probably wont ever be another Dream.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yao would have had trouble scoring double figures against that Knicks team with Patrick Ewing, Charles Oakley, and Anthony Mason. Riley would have fronted him every trip down the floor with Mason or Oakley and would have had Ewing sliding over back door. They also would have made a point to rough Yao up as much as possible. Things were way more physical back then than they are now and I think you understimate the effect that the physical play would have had on Yao's stamina and shooting percentage.

15. Super Von

Super Von Member

Put Hakeem in his prime on last years Rockets team and they dominate.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Led the Rockets in assists that year. The Rocket that ACTUALLY STARTED CLUTCH CITY.

(May 13-15, 1994) Two hours after blowing the biggest lead in NBA playoff history, the Rockets flew out of Choke City down 0-2 to the Phoenix Suns. Four days later, the Rockets flew into Clutch City with the series tied 2-2. In Game 1 of the 1994 Western Conference Semifinals, Houston built an 18-point lead but lost. In Game 2, they had a 20-point lead in the fourth quarter but lost in overtime. "I'll never forget getting on the charter flight after Game 2," Rockets television commentator Bill Worrell said. "It was like a morgue." The Rockets didn't rise from the dead until the second half of Game 3 when they found themselves behind 49-41 at halftime. Then Vernon Maxwell got hot, scoring 31 points in the second half as the Rockets won 118-102. Houston finished "Desert Sweep" by winning Game 4, 107-96, to even the series.

----
    Hero
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hero
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vKk5VstnZI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vKk5VstnZI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hero
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0idEHGQFlP4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0idEHGQFlP4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hero
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ty-WW3bW55g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ty-WW3bW55g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hero
    1990-91:.On 1/ 26 Maxwell lit up the Cleveland Cavaliers for a career-high 51 points-30 in the fourth quarter....At the time, only four other players in NBA history had scored 30 points in a quarter: George Gervin (33), David Thompson (32), Wilt Chamberlain (31), and Michael Jordan (30)....Maxwell hit 14 of 25 field goals in that game, along with 4 of 10 three-pointers and 19 of 22 free throws in 46 minutes....He later scored 45 points in a game against Denver on 4/5, making a career-high 8 of 12 three-pointers, thus becoming only the fifth player in league history to make 8 treys in a game.

Hero
    1991-92:
    The first Rockets guard to average 17-plus points in consecutive seasons since Calvin Murphy had done so from 1973 through 1980

Hero
    1992-93:
    While continuing to bomb from three-point range in 1992-93, Maxwell developed a reputation as an outstanding defender....Held opponents below their scoring averages in 35 of his 68 starts and notched 86 steals for the season.

Hero:
    1993-94:
    .In 1993-94 Maxwell had a spectacular eight-game stretch in which his three-point shooting was largely responsible for Houston victories.....Perhaps the most memorable occurred on 12/9 in a game with the Miami Heat, when his fallaway trey from 35 feet sent the game into overtime.....then hit a three-pointer in overtime to give Houston a 7-point cushion
    Maxwell helped the Rockets to their first NBA Championship. Houston defeated the New York Knicks in seven games in the NBA Finals.

Mentor:
    Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: FRI 05/27/1994
    Section: Sports
    Page: 2
    Edition: 3 STAR
    Cassell looks for brighter tomorrow today/Rockets rookie guard taking poor performance in Game 2 personally
    When it became too much of a problem, Cassell got a pep talk from guard Vernon Maxwell.

"I just told him he can't be down because he didn't score or whatever," Maxwell said. "He didn't get but three shots. He didn't give his shots a chance. I told him that I've been through that several times this season.

"That's what's good about the NBA. It's not like the NFL where you have to wait until next week to redeem yourself.

"This time of the year, you can't be negative. I just tried to help him keep positive. I haven't been playing well the whole playoffs, every night out on the floor. But I'm still not down. I'm going to go out and play my game.

"That's basically what I told him."

17. Super Von

Super Von Member

No doubt. Wish he never flaked out. Mr. Clutch.

18. ThaBlackKnight

Look I agree Maxwell helped us win a title in 94 (then left his team to dry in 95), but I was talking about what Shaq needed from his guards/wings.

Maxwell was good role player and all, but he couldn't break down defenses and make plays like Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash, and Lebron...he's more like a J.R. Smith with defense...no way Shaq ever wins a title with J.R. Smith as his next best player

Vernon Maxwell was 6'4 180 lbs shooting guard, who shot 39 % for his career and 39 % in 1994 season itself and actually dropped in the playoffs to 37 %.

Sure he led the team in assists, I understand that, but 5 apg doesn't make him Magic Johnson or John Stockton...

Penny Hardaway in his 3 seasons with Shaq averaged 7 apg while averaging 20 ppg. He was a 6'7 point guard, the best perimeter player behind Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen at the time. 1 Finals trip, 1 Eastern Conference Finals trip.

Kobe Bryant averaged 5.3 apg (somewhat selfish player back then), but he did manage to average 26 ppg from the 2000 season to the 2004 season. (1st title to last season together). He was the best perimeter player at the time, although not too smart back then with shot selection.
    Won 3 titles in 4 finals trips.

Dwayne Wade averaged 7 apg while averaging 26.2 ppg. He was right there with Kobe and Lebron as the best player in the league at the time. 1 Eastern Conference Finals Trip, 1 NBA Title.

Steve Nash averaged 10.4 apg and 16.3 ppg. 2 years removed from back-to-back MVPs...still a top 5 point guard at age 34. No finals trip, as Shaq and Nash are both aging.

No way in this world does Vernon Maxwell match their production, at 39 % fg for his career...brag all you want about 5.1 apg in 1994...Olajuwon carried that team, with Maxwell and the rest of their teammates production...

but Olajuwon took the pressure off of them...who do you think got Max all those open shots in Game 3 vs. Phoenix? Who got Max most of his 5.1 apg??

Then what does max do the very next season...he quits on the team! Inexcusable...don't see how you endorse an actual quitter, criminal, and knucklehead on and off the court...

Dream and Drexler were too good for an idiot like Max... he was an okay player, but not worth that trouble...you don't leave a team behind when they are down to 10 players, just bad character if you ask me...

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BlackKnight,

I hate to do this to you but you told me you were SIX YEARS OLD when this happened. I'm older than you and I was watching the Rockets in Houston on 20 vision on my CRT TV and I went to see the Rockets play at the place called the Summit and I parked my car across on Edloe cause it was easier to park there than Greenway plaza. Sharpstown Mall was safe then, I whipped people at video games at Time out arcade there.

You WERE NOT THERE. So you can't just make quick summarizations about players based on articles and basketball-reference.com .

He was more than an OK player. He fit the team and was a starter in the NBA on a championship team.

you can see eye to eye with me on this era's teams cause we both saw them play, but no way on God's green Earth do you know more about the 90s Rockets than me.

So I'm telling you this, like if you were telling some dude who was 6 years old when Luis Scola was playing. Maxwell was a VERY IMPORTANT player on the Rockets.

and here's some more videos for the rest to watch
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The game of basketball is not all about stats. you can't throw stats about this year's playoff run and have people who never saw it capture the soul and experience of the run.

#79 tinman, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  20. ThaBlackKnight

Read the 1st line of my last post...I agree Max was important to the 94 title run...

but before you responded to my post, I was responding to a person who asked me if I should include Shaq on the list with Duncan as bigs from the last 20 years who could lead the 94 Rockets to a title...my answer was no, simply because Shaq needed great guards/wings to help him win, because he is limited to scoring within 8 feet of the basket and he can't hit free throws over 50% at the time.

I simply said Vernon Maxwell was NOWHERE CLOSE to Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash, and Lebron...he was a nice role player, not a rookie of the year, not an MVP, not a Finals MVP, and not even a leader of any NBA team.

5.1 apg and 13 ppg on 39 % fg and 30% 3pt fg doesn't make him an elite player...he's a glorified role player...J.R. smith wtih some defense.

Sure they have their hot nights, but that doesn't mean they are all stars, or elite players by ANY MEANS.

Thats a fact Vernon maxwell = role player, rest of those guys = perennial all stars.

Now, as the 3rd or 4th best player on a team, Max isn't that bad...he was the 3rd best player behind Dream and THorpe in my opinion.

Sure he had some gamewinners, and played some great defense, and he was an important part of our team in 1994. I'll give you that.

But he thought he was better than 3rd or 4th best on the team... and he let that get in the way of the team...he couldn't wait til the offseason...forget contract disputes and what not...that can wait a few weeks.

You saw it, and thats great, but you also saw how he QUIT AND LEFT THE TEAM after the 1st game of the 95 playoffs, cuz he only got 17 minutes after going 1-7 vs. Utah. He left them in the Playoffs...let that sink in for a little bit...what kind a ***** leaves his team to dry in the playoffs, especiallly after all that Dream did for him?

Dream got him a title the year before, and thats the thanks Dream gets? Forget that man...Dream deserved better and he got that in the form of his best friend Clyde the Glyde.

They had to win with CHilcutt starting at power forward, then Horry... and Elie was their only 2/3 off the bench. All because he was jealous of a future hall of famer helping their team win. He was good, but he wasn't that good to forget about that.

I can't help that I was 6 years old, but what I do know is that Max, although he helped the team, shot 39 % from the field (on 13 attempts per game), 29 % from the 3 pt line (on 5.5 attempts per game), and averaged 5.1 apg.

Not exactly great #'s, but he did enough...but then he managed to QUIT AND LEAVE THE TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS...just not acceptable IMO...