1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Houston Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by carmichael dave, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

This new boss on 610 is trying to make some changes. He makes the host say "Houston's Sports Leader" before every break. LOL.

2. Super Von

Super Von Member

I noticed this also.

3. plee

plee Member

Andre Ware quit so he could do more ESPN college stuff.

As for Lez Craig, he has a right to voice his opinions...but it's nice to a have a local show instead of some stupid national show

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Andre Ware is terrible IMO. He got demoted to a calling a regional ESPN game this year that will be on Ch.51

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Is Craig going to have a show on 1560 now? Its pretty cool how they pickup all the guys that 610 lets go...

6. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

1560 is the way to go. The morning show is a no brainer, John and Lance are by far the best at what they do and a cult like following.

610 is okay until Rich Lord is on. The dude's just a prick.

790 is Charlie P and that's it. The bad news is he's kinda like Rich.

Double Rods

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We're lucky to have four sports talk stations. I surf them all. I don't see how our market can sustain all four, though, I bet one or two fail in the future.

8. jwayne

jwayne Member

I personally prefer 610... They are more sports oriented. Rich Lord can be annoying but for the most part, the talent is decent. Adam Wexler likes to hear himself sometimes but he is overall pretty good.

1560... Im not a fan. They get off subject from sports alot. Especially after John and Lance are done. They are annoying from the standpoint that they talk about junk and they talk over each other and mumble alot and you cant understand anything.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Combine the fact that 90% of the time they are going on about topics that have no interest to me, that they keep talking over eachother that its hard to decipher the words, and that their signal is crap, and the station is virtually unlistenable to me. I almost prefer listening to Monsters on 790, because at least they have an organized format and you know what the hell they're talking about (granted, their takes are typically horrible).

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think 1560 Sean Pendergast said it best; there's many choices to choose from the Houston radio selections depending on what you are looking for or mood you are in. Sometimes I want stats driven talk, sometimes pop culture talk, sometimes I need to laugh at the lunacy that comes out of the mouths of certain radio guys. I know where to tune into for whatever mood that strikes me. Or if the particular radio talk I am looking for is not on, I just turn up the music.

I just don't like those fanboyz that flock around their own corporate pile of dung like it was a perpetual Star Wars convention.

11. AllOrange

AllOrange Member

I mostly listen to 1560, but will switch over to 610 for the Night Shift.

I really don't need to hear the same sports topics all day, every day, which is what you get with 610. If I wanted to know something about the Rockets, I just hop online, read Clutchfans, read sports websites, and I have my fill.

I like Vandemeer, but he is boring as a show host. Funny because I love him as the Texans voice (??!!) Clanton is ok, but I am more entertained by John and Lance. I hate the Rome show, but can't really get into Hoffy (I guess strippers, professional eaters, newscasters, and wrestling just isn't my thing.) I like Matt, but Rich Lord is horrible. The only reason he keeps a job is because he seems to be able to sell a lot of ad copy. Sean and John are awesome, but sometimes, even I get lost when they run with the same off-the-wall topic for an entire show. Then again, I love college football, so Sean and John give me my weekly fix.

Nuno and Raheel bring it as far as the Rox are concerned. Wex as well. I like the diversity of the sports stations in the market, but probably a year from now, I think that at least 2 stations will be flipped. And 610 didn't do me any favors by killing off the Block Party :confused:

12. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

1560 has alot to offer. Lots of variety on that station, but like other stations it will get dull on some days. Lately I've notice a little too many commercials. I can see why some of the older guys don't like the station. The first time I listened to it, I couldn't understand a word they were saying. It was like 50 guys talking at the same time, and I imagine others had the same first impression. Regardless, there's nothing better out there.

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

I don't get it, I know this is all opinion based, but what exactly is everyone's deal against Rich?

I used to love John and Lance, but I've listened to their 1560 show and I just can't get into it...dunno why.

To the person who said Clanton's impersonations suck, maybe you need to hear his JVG or "Clan chancellor." He's definitely the biggest Rockets fan on Houston radio.

I think as a whole, 610 definitely has the strongest team, although Clanton bringing eye candy on the radio just seems pointless to me. Ana Megan and the "ladies of local 2" are the most consistently annoying/lame thing on that station.

The producer of the afternoon show is a huge dick, though. I called in on the Michael Vick topic and he was rude to me before I even got on the air.

Jackson got pissed at me for a WNBA prank call once and spent about 10 minutes on the air talking about what a waste of life I was -- that was pretty funny.

That's funny about Lesbian Craig talking junk about 610, maybe someone should call and bring that up on the station...

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I remember when he was talking about junk about 1560. Now he wants to get on 1560 to talk **** about 610.

Where did they get this brilliant idea to get local callers to host a show.

15. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I enjoy the Adam Wexler and Matt Jackson evening tandem on 610. Both are extremely knowledgeable about the Rockets, and have been discussing them pretty much everyday in the offseason.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am not up early enough for the Vandemeer, Clanton makes me laugh, Rome annoys the **** outta me, monsters have terrible opinions, Matt and Rich are probably my favorite with a decent blend of knowledge and humor, Wex knows his stuff but is kinda a dud on a personality.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like 1560 all day. 610 is ok at times, I don't mind Vandermeer, but Rich Lord is the biggest jackass on radio, how he has not been fired is beyond me. &90 just blows all day

18. HPD

HPD Member

THE GAME 1560 is a winner 4 me.... "YAW YAW YAW"

19. Sam the Ram

Sam the Ram Member

My favorite shows on Houston radio are:

1. The Adam Clanton Experience on 610. The guy is really good and needs a longer time slot. One hour is nothing, the only time I get to listen to him is when my classes, at UH....Go COOGS, at 11:30. Otherwise I am in class.

2. Charlie Pallilo on 790 is good. He is actually intelligent and stays on topic. Actual analysis.

3. 1560 as a station- They are pretty good and I love that they have so much fan interaction; gives off a "we are on of you" vibe. But sometimes they are obnoxious and not sports, just some guys hanging out. For example when the Erin Andrews video came out, the afternoon guys spent the whole time talking about how this is the greatest day in the history of man and how this video of a creep pipping tom will solve all of the world's problems. a little childish at times.

4. 790- sucks, the only thing good on there is CP

5. Jim Rome sucks too. chastises one person for something and says "phenomenal" to another caller for the exact same thing. not funny. stupid "manual buzzer"

20. Sam the Ram

Sam the Ram Member

And by the way. clanton, you are the bomb. both funny and informative.
    But I must say, your time slot kind of sucks. Here is to hoping you get a better time slot!! :cool: :cool: