1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can beat Lesnar?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Joker, Jul 23, 2009.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Obviously I meant Couture, because Lesnar definitely couldn't beat her. She's a mean biatch.

2. Crudder

Crudder Member

What you say makes sense and I definitely think that Lesnar has the raw power to beat Fedor especially since Fedor tends to cut easily. Brock will definitely improve his BJJ but, in my personal opinion, it'll never be enough where he will be able to prevent submissions through technical skill - he might have the raw power to do it like lifting his arm up during an armbar but I think there will be plenty of opportunities to catch him.

Before I even give Lesnar the nod to fight Fedor (speaking from watching a lot of Pride), I would like to watch him fight some of the other HWs in the UFC like Carwin. I even think a dedicated and trained Crocop would give him problems. Now, I'm not 100% sure what Mir's strategy was when he fought, but it seemed to me like Mir was waiting for Lesnar to make a mistake (or maybe he really couldn't get up, or a combination of both). Either way, it was a dumb strategy and I doubt anyone would try to survive Lesnar's GNP right now, which is his biggest weapon.

I agree in that Nog is on the decline (although I think he still has a few good fights left in him). But I still think that before Lesnar gets a chance at Fedor, he should be tested and go through Carwin, Crocop, Arvloski, and maybe even Aleks (Fedor's brother). Lesnar has fought Mir, Couture, Herring, and Min Soo Kim. Until he fights someone with some knock-out power similar to that of Fedor, I'm going to reserve judgment on how good he is because there is no way he avoids taking a huge punch every now and then to the head... everyone does.

3. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Best post in this worthless thread. I love how everyone's riding Lesnar's balls because he won a total of three fights. Against such stiff competition too :rolleyes:

Fedor is a beast, Lesner stands no chance. I understand if you don't grasp this statement, since some of you are too new to MMA to see how great Fedor is.

4. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

I have been observing Fedor since the pride days. And let me tell you in mma Fedor will massacre Lesnar.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

fwiw couture has been a great fighter and he started late like lesnar. lesnar has not sustained a major injury yet in mma (i have no clue about his wwe days) so he may prove to be a very durable fighter and be able to learn more as time goes on.

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Whats with the Carwin Brock comparison? Carwin is much much smaller then Brock.. Brock can wear the same size gloves as Carwin but says he likes the tighter fit.

Carwin is probably the closest to his weight if they fought he would probably somewhere from 255-260 but His total size and height isn't even close. The guy is about as tall as Couture for drying out loud with no grecko wrestling dirty boxing techniques.

Carwin has a punchers chance and thats all.

Cain V will probably be bigger then Carwin in their upcoming fight. Mark my words

But yeah I agree, Fedor will take Brock out

7. underoverup

underoverup Member

i think they need to have lesnar vs. fedor as soon as possible before one of them loses and ruins everything. if lesnar lost to a post injury frank mir then there are several heavyweights that can take him out.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

where do you get that idea from? cain was smaller than kongo in his last fight. carwin is just bigger than cain. cain is small heavyweight like fedor. he is only 6'1".

9. Realjad

Because Carwin is smaller then 6'1". He is about Randy Coutures Height or 6'0" flat.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Carwin weighs 259 lbs and is 6'3 with an 80" reach.
    Lesnar weighs 265 lbs and is 6'3 with an 81" reach.

I think Lesnar is probably bigger since he has to cut weight to make the HW weight class, but statistically they're not that far off from one another. Brock looks much bigger because he has a broader frame with more fat on his body. Carwin is actually ripped and has a more compact appearance next to Brock. They are the closest in size in the UFC you can get.

11. Realjad

What source do you use for his 'Measurements'?? Their inflated, It's like When they had Mutombo's height clocked as '6'8" in College...

More so I should ask you this:
    How does it feel to be an MMA "fan" who doesn't even watch the actual fights? If you had seen any Carwin fight you would have known he wasn't 6'3" or even close to it but more Like 5'11" or 6'0". Get off the Joe Rogan 'Size' hype wagon he started over Carwin. Why UFC doesn't post accurate heights is beyond me, it makes them look stupid sometimes like when they had Anderson Silva Listed as 5'11" and everyone thought Rich Franklin would be way bigger the him when infact Silva was bigger. Leben is a legit 5'11". Brock would Dwarf Carwin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now if Carwin is Coutures height here is what that fight will look like

[​IMG]

Frank Mir is alot bigger then Carwin if you want to use him as an example too.

#51 Realjad, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  12. London'sBurning

I just used wiki and sherdog on both of their profiles. The 80 inch reach isn't displayed there on wiki like Lesnar, but Rogan or Goldberg said Carwin's reach is 80 inches. Its funny actually because Sherdog says Carwin is 6'4 and that Brock is only 6'2.

Those pictures are pretty damning though. In his last fight he did look a little shorter than Gonzaga but he was crouched for most of the fight so its hard to tell.

13. Realjad

Yeah, I think they are starting hype now for ppv buys with the 'size' stuff. But for Cain who is a legit 6'2" he'll probably look bigger then Carwin. Just don't buy the whole 'He's the closest thing to Brock' crap.

Cain: 6'2"
    UFC 83: 235.5lbs
    UFN 14: 236lbs
    UFN 17: 239lbs
    UFC 99: 239lbs

Carwin: 6'
    UFC 84: 252lbs
    UFC 89: 264lbs
    UFC 96: 259.5lbs

Carwin is 20-25lbs heavier and 2 inches shorter than Cain.

Compare that to the 3" height and weight disadvantage he'll have against Lesnar.

He's much closer in size to Cain than he is to Lesnar.

Carwins not dwarfing anyone, he didnt even dwarf this Light Heavyweight
    Carwins on the right
    [​IMG]

#53 Realjad, Jul 24, 2009
  14. London'sBurning

I think Carwin is a legit 6'2 since he stood even with Gonzaga who is really that height. The NFL recorded Lesnar as 6'2 when he tried out for the Vikings so they should be even as far as height goes. I think its the weight that's inaccurate. Either Carwin isn't really 260 or Brock really isn't 265. I'm gonna go with Brock weighing much more after weigh ins.

[​IMG]

15. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

With Affliction canceling their trilogy PPV, thanks to Barnett and his positive steroid test, its only a matter of days before Fedor signs with the UFC.

Affliction is finished

16. engr chris

engr chris Member

17. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Maybe we will be closer to having Fedor in the octagon now that Affliction Trilogy has been cancelled. He can match Brock's speed so this matchup would come down to power vs. technique. I think technique wins that matchup almost every time.

18. Crudder

Crudder Member

This is true. Couture was a great fighter but remember, Couture lost plenty of times in his career to people he should not have lost to. Looking past his lost to Lesnar which may be due to age and other reasons, he lost to Lidell, Belfort, Rodriguez, Barnett (who knows who really should've won this one), Overeem, and a bunch of other guys.

I'm not saying Lesnar won't have a great career - he already does. But to say that he will reach the technical abilities of Fedor is insanity. When people talk about Fedor losing, they rarely talk about him making a mistake - instead, everyone has a puncher's chance to get a lucky punch in. For Lesnar, I see, even 10 years down the line, that he'll be making mistakes that people will catch him in because I don't think you can reach such a high level of technical saavy in just 5-10 years.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Another Fedor fan here. Fedor in his prime during his Pride days was just sick - speed, strength, BALANCE, takedowns, working in ground and pound from full guard, submissions, ice-cold calmness... Once he gets top position on the ground it's pretty much over. The problem is he hasn't been fighting much lately, only 4 fights in the last 3 years, and he didn't look good in his last fight (despite winning), and didn't look as invincible as he has in the past.

I know Lesnar's a wrestler, but one thing Fedor's got going for him in such a fight is his ridiculous ability to avoid takedowns and getting top position on the floor. Given Lesnar's big size advantage and Fedor's rustiness, I have no idea who would win, but if I was betting I'd still put my money on Fedor.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so which one is it? ;)

and i have a very hard time believing carwin is only 6 feet tall when he is as tall as gonzaga

carwin gonzaga

[​IMG][​IMG]

kongo cain

[​IMG]

and who cares...we will find out in a couple weeks

#60 robbie380, Jul 24, 2009