1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes on the Rockets/Draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree that winning cures everything. Good thing to remember before everyone starts panicking and trading away their Steve Francis rookie cards for Derek Fishers and putting together websites cursing the Franchise, his children, and his children's children. :D

#21 Relativist, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Regarding Francis, I'm not going to worry too much until he passes on the chance to sign an extension this summer.

One thing I forgot to add: John Salmons, the guy who worked out Tuesday with Tito Maddox (Jay Williams was supposed to be in that workout also, before he cancelled), supposedly was extremely impressive in that workout. Salmons is a 6-foot-7 forward out of Miami who averaged 13 points, 6 boards and 6 assists a night.

Sorry ... a bad joke :) I'm just saying I don't know what kind of competition that Rice is facing. It may be NBA competition or just street ballers in Miami -- really don't know.

Wish I could tell you more - just about everything I know about the #15 is up there. I haven't heard anything on what they think of Woods unfortunately.

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

4. Possum

Possum Member

The Rockets need to nip this thing in the butt before it gets to late. If this is how Francis really feels maybe they need to consider doing what’s best for all parties. They should ask Francis if he still intends on signing an extension or if they should investigate a trade. If he says anything other than I absolutely want to resign then they should start fielding offers for him. :mad:

5. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

Thanks for the post Clutch! I just heard something simular off Espn News, and wanted to come talk about it, I think it will be done by tommorow. As for the Francis thing, I, like the other poster said, have supported Steve fully since he came to us, thought he would lead us back to the promise land,and he still can. But all of his actions recently have made me wonder. How is it that a guy,who when he was a rookie talked about just wanting to work hard to get better and help the team get better,goes from that to a selfish egotistical maniac that doesn't put forth a defensive effort night in and night out is beyond me.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

That's the thing. The Clippers are trying to get rid of Odom because they have two many talented young players approaching contract years, who are going to be asking for a lot of money. They don't want to replace Odom with another young, talented potential star because then they would be in the same boat as they were before. Plus, there's the whole drug thing. His trade value is worth a lot less than many people think, and I believe all the other NBA teams know this. I would not be surprised if Eric Snow was traded for Odom. Snow is a decent veteran who will not be asking for a max contract in 1, 2, or 3 seasons. If we traded the #1 pick for Odom and any of their picks we could consider ourselves swindled.

#26 DCkid, Jun 20, 2002
  7. redao

redao Member

He can live with bad record of Rockets. He was an all star already, he was "franchise" no matter what this franchise is.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great Post Clutch. THanks a million. I just want to point out that Ming will still get magazine covers galore no matter who drafts him, because he's a big story whether he's a Rocket or not.

Also as I've said before, it reminds me of the Drexler trade and how upset Horry was about it. After playing with Clyde he become of Drexler's biggest supporters. I have to think that Ming's winning personality, and hopefully his basketball ability will win Francis over.

#28 FranchiseBlade, Jun 20, 2002
  9. lpbman

lpbman Member

well I'm guessing that Steve knows all about what the Clipps are offering

it's probably really good like a S&T Kandi and Odom with possible picks

they don't wanna pay Kandi anyway

Rudy knows a great player when he sees one and he's not taking two good to really good players when he can get a potentally great one

if Steve knows the Clippers are offering the world I could see him being pissed
    but it's the difference beween maybe winning a title in a good year, but Ming is a potential dynasty

G....Ga....no

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Eh....from a strictly basketball standpoint, any dissent on Francis' part will have no bearing on if Yao Ming is a Houston Rocket, which he will be.

I don't see anything that a Rudy heart to heart conversation with him wouldn't do away with, and I doubt he'd come out publicly against the pick; he's way too self-conscientious to do something like that.

It's disappointing that he wouldn't be 100% behind what management concludes to be the best decision for the Houston Rockets, but I'm not surprised he holds this view, considering he probably has idiots like TroyBaros around him, reinforcing the negative hype that has surrounded Yao Ming since day 1.

I would like Feigen to grill him on this issue a bit more, pointing out that Rudy, CD, and virtually everyone in the organization is behind drafting Yao Ming, so why does he continue to evade the question?

As far as concerns of him 'bolting', I don't see it for two reasons:

1. No player turns down the money...see Webber.

2. He'd be recanting on his promise that he'd sign the extension if a max contract was offered, and worst case (ie: he doesn't sign an extension this summer), he'd be heading into a non-existent free agent market next offseason; no teams have the cap room to sign him.

The big thing is for Rudy to talk to the entire team, not just Francis, about how imperative it is that everybody work together to help Yao adapt, and at the same time establishing a no-tolerance policy to any possible 'freezing out' on the offensive end.

I don't see this being a problem in the long term.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think its a stretch to even call Kandi a good player, but if that trade was a possibility, obviously it would have to include Kelvin Cato. I for one, do not feel any joy or any inkling of excitement about the prospect of acquring Michael Olowokandi. I would rather have Odom by himself than pay Olowokandi anything over 4.5 million/year.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tacoma,

I agree. I don't think it's anything that can't be worked out.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for the update,Clutch. Another question for you,Do you think that Ming might change his mind about playing for the Rockets because of Francis and Mobley?

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Plain and Simple...

In Rudy I Trust

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The poster known as "trade kenny" is incorrect. Glen Rice has 2 more seasons on his contract and the Rockets will not have anything more than the MCE to offer for Odom next summer. Philly can/will easily match as they will have Odoms Bird Rights. Do not believe this line of BS. That poster is totally incorrect.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It is pathetic that Francis has to start this crap....He's young....he will learn to mature. Just think...if he gets smart as Jason Kidd and learns to run an offense w/ a big man like Ming, damn...this team could KICK SOME ASS in a couple of years....

It's sad to say that Mark Madsen has more rings than Francis...and Madsen SUCKS!

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Why are you people acting suprised? Look at what Francis did in Vancouver. That whole episode is indicative of his personality. He is an arrogant brat, who refuses to let anyone share his spotlight. We need to trade him, plain and simple. I would take Andre Miller in a second for francis. He may not be as athletic but he is a true team leader. And for those who want to bring up how francis gets more points than Miller, I say...Point Gaurds aren't supposed to score that much.

TRADE FRANCIS FOR ANDRE MILLER.

18. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

As much as I like Steve and Cat as players they still have a lot of growing to do both on and off the court.
    We aren't running a damn social club here. This is not a playground team where you pick your buddies and friends.
    The Rockets brass are (and should be) about assembling a championship contender. It just seems that these guys don't see the big picture (i.e., the post Shaq era). I for one don't want have suffered through three loosing seasons so we can end up in the first round purgatory that teams like the Timberwolves find themselves in. Odom is a talent at times but he isn't going to make this team a contender period. The #1 was a gift, gravy IMHO, if we don't take Ming we'll pay for it one way or the other. Suck it up and let's play ball!

#38 Glyde22, Jun 20, 2002
  19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Steve needs to stop this crap...He showed us his GM abilities last year with T-Mo. I don't think anyone is going to listen to his "hunches" anymore.

20. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

I really don't think that Francis hates drafting Ming just because Ming will take the spotlight from him. I just think that he just wants to win now. If the Rockets got Duncan through free agency I don't think he would act that way because he knows that with Duncan he will win even if Duncan takes the spotlight. He just thinks that Ming will be a project and it will take longer to win. I don't really blame him for wanting to win now since everybody in Houston and fans of the NBA are all looking for him to pick the Rocket Franchise back-up. If Ming is a project and does not help us make the playoffs, than everybody is going to complain about how Francis is not a leader and will never take our team to the playoffs. So, everybody take it easy on Francis. He is a great basketball player and a great person. Remember, last year Francis went to playoff games to experience the atmosphere. He is also the player that practices throughout the off-season and a player that played through many injuries even though we were down from the beggining of the year. Don't be a Francis hater.