1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At least one more move is Imminent...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete the Cheat, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Pete the Cheat

There are 13 Players under contact and 3 Players left to Sign (Andersen, Taylor, Budinger)...

James White is only partially guaranteed
    Brian Cook is more or less dead weight
    Brent Barry could be looking for a move

After that everyone else you have is either injured for the forseeable future and counts against a roster spot...
    or expected to be a regular part of the rotation...

with 16 players, at least one spot has to give...and this doesn't include a surprise invite or two to training camp similar to Von and Strawberry last year...

suffice to say Morey isn't sitting on his hands right now, and any deal that does go through will have more players leaving than coming...

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I don't see the imminent part. Or, as Judge Sotomayor would say, 'eminent.'

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Dorsey/Anderson(I think he will play with the 2nd unit)/Yao(out for season)
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Battier/Budinger
    T-Mac/Ariza/Taylor
    Brooks/Lowery/Barry

I am betting on those 14

I think Cook is gone and I think either White or someone off the radar will be the 15th guy

If T-Mac is traded it will be during the season

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Well heres how I seen the lineup at the moment:

Anderson/Hayes/Dorsey (Yao)
    Scola/Landry/Cook
    Battier/White/Budinger
    Ariza/Barry/Taylor (Tmac)
    AB/Lowry

Our needs as I see it:
    Get another true center (would LOVE to get Ben Wallace for 20 minutes a
    game). This would make Hayes and/or Dorsey expendable.
    Get a starting caliber SG (this would make White expendable as Ariza can
    alternate with Battier and help at SG as needed)

The final move is one of the following:
    1) trade Cook + Hayes or Dorsey + cash for a true bu center
    2) trade Cook + cash for a non guaranteed contract that we then dump
    3) cut loose of White

All that said, after watching summer league... Budinger is a must sign, Taylor is on the bubbble, White is on the bubble.

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Actually Morey said in the radio interview yesterday, that they are going to leave a roster open "for furture moves." So it looks like Either Barry and Cook will be cut or Taylor or white will be cut.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Then with that being the case I'd have to say Barry and White go. No way we get rid of Taylor with only seeing him in 1 SL and 1 Pre - season. No way.

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Man, I just don't see Morey spending a couple million to buy the Taylor pick, just to cut him. I can't imagine that Les would be very happy about that.

8. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

this is from richard justice from chron.com........

[Daryl Morey is working on a trade, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps a sign-and-trade with Von Wafer. Wafer is going to get the money he's seeking from the Rockets, and I have no idea if he can get it elsewhere. As far McGrady, they're not trading him unless there's a long-term player out there, and there doesn't appear to be anything cooking on that front.--Richard]

i hope morey trades wafer, cook, and barry, for marcus camby!! we can only dream if clippers bite on this trade but they might be high on wafer a young athletic sg..... in morey we trust!! one more move up his sleeve.... :D

9. Strawman

Strawman Member

ROFOFLFAOFAFLAFOL

sorry.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong,I don't think the Rockets have any rights to Wafer,and they have only half of the MLE left after the Andersen signing. How much can they offer Wafer? How much money can they give to him in a sign and trade?

11. Pete the Cheat

agreed, couple that with the fact that we let von walk, and I would say taylor is a pretty sure bet to make this roster

barry and white are likely to be traded and released respectively. I have a hard time convincing myself that white still has alot of potential to be tapped...at this point in his career you have to believe he is what he is. and while he may be uber athletic, there really isn't anything he does than can't be duplicated by another of our sudden overabundance of wing players.

if the rockets consider budinger and taylor better prospects, you don't want them losing playing time to white simply because he has been around longer...

I can't imagine there is much of a market for cook out there, so we might get stuck simply cutting the guy if another opportunity arises similar to andersen.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Well I know he said that nothing was hinting Tracy but this could still be an option, if he's willing to sign a long term deal with us.

Still available?
    The Phoenix Suns remain open to the possibility of trading Amare Stoudemire before the season, according to ESPN.com

I think it's just up to Amare to sign a deal and Morey to pull the trigger.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He can't be cut, because he is not even signed.

Morey bought the Newley and Luenen picks also, if I am mistaken. They aren't on our rosters.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

That would be ideal! If its with Phoniex who could we be getting? I would love something like Cook, Barry and Von for Barbosa. Gives us a SG/PG while evening out the roster a bit and gives them something like 5.5 million off there books next offseason.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah I heard Morey at a SL game say that they needed to keep a roster spot open for a 2 for 1 trade.

What player would we trade? And what 2 players would we would have to take back? Outside of a deal that sends Battier away or a blockbuster deal involving Tmac (Neither of which seem likely) what could it be? Who could be the player we trade away? Could it be Wafer's salary is a throw in to make salaries match. Has Budinger played his way right out of a Rocket uni. Is battier really on the block? Are we sill after Rubio?

All of these questions will be answered as the world of Morey turns.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Hey, Les knew he was spending $6 million to get 3 2nd-round picks. He knew it was a crap-shoot.

Sure, $6 million is real money to him, just like $6 worth of lottery tickets is to me.

As for trading Tracy, they don't want Tracy to sign a long-term deal with them, they want to trade Tracy for a long-term player, i.e., a player that will be with us a while.

I still don't know that anything is imminent, though with DM, you never really know. We could be trading for Lebron tomorrow.

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Well Barry i guess wants to retire like his brother and father. White has a non guarantee contract. I would guess White would be the most likely to get cut

18. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

No, I believe White needs another try. He got better defensively and lost some offense. But he didnt lose his offense by doing some dumb stuff, he lost it by becoming a better defender, so he could get some playing time.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Battier and Ariza are basically starting at the 2 and 3 spot. RA loves to use the combo of Brooks and Lowry. The next wing I would think would possibly be Barry because of experience. Where will White get playing time baring injuries???

IF McGrady is somehow someway ready that just adds another wing. Mind me RA plays his starters way too long. White wouldn't sniff the court. Like I said with his non guarantee contract its most likely he gets the boot.

20. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

White is gonna get minutes from 1 to 3. We can use him to guard pgs like Williams and CP3 who always bullies our pgs