1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao to undergo surgery to repair hairline fracture (UPDATE: Surgery successful)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lastreg, Jul 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

ughhhh how can anybody feel this will be positive with Tom Clanton doing the surgery......

All you hear about is how he ruined other players injuries after he did surgery.

You would think the Rockets would ask about Big Z doctor to do it.

This is literally it, if he comes back and it breaks again. bye bye

I wish him well, but i give it a 10% chance that it will work with Tom Clanton working on it.

2. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Its funny how close we came to become major contenders .. We were just a hairline short of that with Yao and TMac

3. onreego

onreego Member

Sweet, the fans get to take Yao's place on the court? :p

Good luck Yao, come back when you're fully healthy. We don't want to lose you a week later if you come back too soon.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I got 3 words for you. Season ticket sales.

5. onreego

onreego Member

?

I'm sure anyone who considered buying tickets changed their mind back when they announced Yao's injury had gotten worse or were waiting for this point to make their decision.

6. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Major Chinese websites reported that the surgery will NOT be performed by Dr. Clanton, Yao will go with the Dr. who fixed Big Z, Dr. Clanton will be in the crew though. Do not know if it is accurate.

7. platy

platy Member

get well soon big guy!

8. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

GOOD GOD I HOPE THAT'S TRUE.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Those websites are always riddled with inaccuracy. Why do people continue to believe them?

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

See ya in 2010, big guy!

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Chinese website vs Darryl Morey. Who is right? I'll go with Darryl Morey on this one. I am sure those Chinese websites are right on other things.

12. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Sigh... so much for my dim hopes of him returning just in time for the playoffs.

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I figured Yao would opt for a more conservative surgical approach, but I can understand him wanting to try to avoid annual recurrences. I was holding out hope that we'd see him play in the upcoming season, but that's impossible now. I'm not enthused about Dr. Clanton, but he is apparently someone that Yao trusts. It will be a long, difficult rehabilitation, but Yao knows all too well how to rehab properly. It's a little surprising given that Yao has often mused on retiring at 30, which I believe was the age his father's body broke down to the point that he couldn't continue as an athlete.

Whatever happens, we're behind you, Yao.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Just curious, but why don't people trust Clanton on this board?

He didn't break Yao's foot. Yao's higher arch and lack of blood flow to his feet combined with his body weight is something that inevitably leads to stress fractures and issues with the lower extremities. What did Clanton do that was so wrong, exactly?

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It's just hard to remember a Rocket successfully returning from surgery recently. I guess the last two were Rafer and Battier, and Shane sucked for quite a while before rounding into shape. Obviously Clanton's a qualified surgeon, but I'd feel more comfortable if he hadn't already operated on the same exact bone in Yao's foot, only to have it break again.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Bob Sura, Dion Glover, Steve Francis, and T-Mac had surgery by Clanton. They were all told it would be a few months of rehab and back to basketball. The first 3 never recovered from Clanton's surgery.

T-Mac's rehab turned from a few months into 7-9 months or more.

He said Yao Ming would be fine, and let Yao walk on his foot with a boot. No crutches needed.

Ooops, they find a fracture and put it in a cast and ask him to use crutches.

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hope Yao comes back, and takes his place among the greats:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk0MPyiJBbc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk0MPyiJBbc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

greatness is only delayed, not defeated

20. ApuN

ApuN Member

Yao Ming -great player, great guy but

Career Over.

Plain and simple.