1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ch 2] Battier: "We may become Suns of the south"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilltopper, Jul 16, 2009.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What championship teams do you know of that have consisted of 6'8 guys playing every position from SG to C?

I'm just hoping our team is entertaining. The motto for this year should be expect the worst, hope for the best.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

BWuahahahawhwhahahha, Gigd him good on that one

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ironic that Shane would call us "the Suns of the South." The guy better get ready to run and gun. That's not exactly his forté. I can see his point, however. What real choice do we have?

4. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

I did not catch that. :D

5. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

You mean Arizona, chief? ;) I think they call that the Southwest.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Yeah. "Screwed" is appropriate in many ways for this situation.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Besides the major blunder that others have pointed out in your post, there's another with you including New Mexico in "the South". It's defined as being in the Southwestern/the West region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_United_States

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,but Battier doesn't fit in the image of the Suns of the south. The guy can hardly run at all. It won't be easier for him or for that matter anyone else to shoot either,in the absence of Yao. That doesn't mean I'm trying to overlook his defensive impact and leadership.

9. saleem

It's quite apparent that in order for us to run,we have to pass a lot better and score as well. The Rockets really have to rebuild over a period of some years.

Our PG's aren't starter material and neither do we we have enough scorers in the frontcourt to get the job done. Defense will remain critical,but that won't get it done by any means. Nobody is going to give us quality players for McGrady,and guys like Luis, Battier are probably being lowballed right now as well.
    Rebuilding teams need vets, but we can't get stuck in the middle of trying to get into the playoffs and ending up with low draft picks.

10. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

As long as we are the suns with defense we would be okay

11. Super Von

Super Von Member

:eek:

12. saleem

I agree with you but that's easier said than done.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

:D

and i think we shouldn't take it literally anyway, i think we know he just meant we'll be running more and scoring more, hopefully..

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Honestly this makes me think Warriors rather than Suns. Don Nelson's CloneWars Ball was mighty fun to watch and pretty damn effective too--just ask Dallas two years ago. If only they could play defense. If we could play them AND play defense, man look out.

But yeah think about their team back then. Biedrins was center, kinda like David Andersen if you ask me. Matt Barnes was the backup center. The rest of their lineup, with no discernable positions whatsoever on offense, went Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and Monta Ellis (6-2) as the 6th man. The perfect CloneWars lineup, and on NBA2K7 they ALL LOOKED THE SAME. WHO'S SHOOTING THE THREE THIS TIME?!?!? IT DOESN'T MATTER!! That was my favorite team to use that year, them and then Orlando second because I could just jack up threes with anyone on each team, I would even start Redick lol because they made him mad good in that game, since he hadn't even stepped foot on a court yet.

Anyways, here's how the two teams compare again, with heights listed:

Warriors <-> Rockets

PG: Davis (6-3)/Ellis (6-2)<-> Brooks (6-0)/Lowry (6-0)
    SG: JRich (6-6)<-> Ariza (6-8)
    SF: Capt Jack (6-8) <-> Fundamentals Battier (6-8)
    PF: Harrington (6-9) <-> Scolandry (6-9 each)
    C: Biedrins (6-11)/Barnes (6-8)<-> Andersen (6-11)/Dorsey (6-8)
    Bench: Azubuke (6-5)<-> One guy among White (6-7), Wafer (6-5), Taylor (6-5), and Budinger (6-7)

Neither team should expect to use too extensive a rotation. And both should be the most fun team to watch in the league in their respective years.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I thought he meant it as a play on words... Suns of the South vs sons of the south... Civil war reference anyone?

Maybe that's just me thinking too much about what Shane means when he speaks.

Or maybe he meant Suns of the South....west Division! ;)

16. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Having lived in New Mexico, we never considered ourselves in the South. As far as misplacing the largest city in Arizona while critiquing someone else's geography, I guess that just kind of speaks for itself.

Maybe the goal is if we can't win we might as well be entertaining. Who knows maybe we'll be surprised.

17. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

If you get real technical about US geography Texas is split between the Southwest and Southern regions of the country. Houston is in the southern part. Cities like El Paso, San Antonio, and Lubbock, are considered Southwest although there is differening opinion on where the exact regional boundry is and many times the difference between Southwest and South has more to do with culture then geographic location.

18. TimeZone

TimeZone Member

Might be more like the Kings of the South. Think Kings back with Adelman about 10 years back. Shane should have said maybe like the Suns of the South, but we play defense. Think we will run a lot, but think half court game with Scola, Andersen, and perhaps Buddinger will be okay. Landry and Dorsey can probabblr make some positive things happen as well. Something one way or another is happening with Tracy by around mid-season though and who knows on Yao later on...

19. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

I have a formula for achieving that. A game plan that will make us run on offense and defense. Our best player might get couple of charges, but we will be just fine. Every one in the gun and run system has a shot at being a superstar

20. Nick_Young

Nick_Young Member

It's been proved that Suns style can't lead to a champion, not to say a such kind of style without a good PG like Nash. But we don't have other options. Hope Adleman can manage between winning and eye-feast.