1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If injured does Yao take up a roster spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Calm down rook. :rolleyes:

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

but he does have a point lol. If it had been someone unknown and not DD a lot of guys would have jumped on the OP. More importantly, if Bima had been the first to answer DD's question all conversation would have died within the first page (as M_cable and durvasa wouldn't have made a mistake). Usually people create threads for the sake of discussion, and not to answer just one question they have.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just because you don't like Hayes doesn't mean that Rockets management shares your sentiment, in fact in the article about Andersen they mentioned that they would have to use Hayes more to offset his lack of defense.

edit: i see durvasa covered it.

4. blender

blender Member

I can see Barry being traded or cut to give him a chance at playing for a contender, or maybe Morey finds a taker for Cook's expiring. I guess that would make room for at least White, though I'd prefer Morey bring in some other wing. Wafer, I think, won't be returning.

5. blender

blender Member

^^^
    Sorry I didn't mean Morey should just bring in another wing, but a ball-handling shooting guard who's capable of sliding over to the 1 if Lowry or Brooks get in foul trouble. Wait a minute, that's Barry.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yes, I think the CBA's focus of this extra roster spot is for having more than three players on injured reserve. If you have 4 or more injured players then it could be considered a hardship.

I'm sure someone will show that they aren't ready for the nba yet and this discussion won't even be necessary. Only 12 of the 15 will be on the active roster and only 8 or 9 of the 12 will be rotation players. It's not really important to have so many guys on your bench.

7. van chief

van chief Member

Its DD, he does what he wants when he wants...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Haven't the roster rules changed since then? It used to be that you had to go on the "injured list" for 5 games. Now you can simply choose 12 out of 15 players to suit up for any given game. Perhaps under the old rules they had situations when guys were out for the year.

9. van chief

van chief Member

Agreed

If / When we are getting rid of people for slots, I see Cook and Barry as the first two off of Rockets Island.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I asked the same question in another thread, and am still unsure of the actual factual answer.

Rox have too many guys, and some teams (like Philly) are way short of a full roster.

Thus: SnT Dre (3/21mm) for Landry/Lowry/Cook. [Add Conroy, as expected, as 3rd PG]. That upgrades the roster and opens one net slot.

Battier/Barry/White (cause I just wanna say Barry White) - Fernandez/Outlaw. That also upgrades the roster and opens one more net slot.

11. lalala902102001

Put one of the rookies in the D-league -- they won't get playing time on the roster anyway.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I remember reading an "official" answer somewhere -- I believe it was in a column on NBA.com. They said Yao and T-Mac both take up roster spots, even if it were positive that neither would play a minute this year.

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Feigen said it today in the comments portion of his blog.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cook will get dealt somehow, and I'm betting Barry will be either traded for cash or bought out.

1 Brooks
    2 Lowry
    3 Ariza
    4 Taylor
    5 Budinger
    6 Battier
    7 Scola
    8 Landry
    9 Hayes
    10 Anderson
    11 Dorsey
    12 Mcgrady
    13 Yao
    14 White

If another move is made and more space needs to be created, I think White is a goner.

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

He really doesn't have that much trade value..

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Hayes, I just think with Yao out, and his contract coming up, they might just go for guys that are younger and run with that.

DD

17. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

He just turned 26 last month. Hayes plays D, so i didnt figure you would be a fan.

18. DaDakota

No....why would I post a question about YAO in an Andersen thread?

Makes no sense.

SHEESH !

DD

19. DaDakota

I like Chuck Hayes a LOT, he is not just a defender he is an elite post defender.

I just think if the organization is rebuilding he might not fit in.

DD

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Chuck just turned 26. He's about two months older than Landry.