1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Acquire Rights to David Andersen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 14, 2009.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Yeah but the guy your thinking of has more redeemable qualities.

David's only redeemable quality is that he's a genuine 7 footer.

He can't even shoot aswell as he's being made out to be!!

1 person likes this.
  2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Corrected.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, when I think about it, it makes zero sense. When this team had yao and tracy and were fooling themselves thinking they were contenders, then I can understand the big shooting 4, but since this team is in rebuild, it doesn't. I'm consistent in what I think about the rockets. Someone brought up tim thomas and I said he does nothing on a rebuilding team, but if you're going to sign a no upside,29 yr old jump shooting big, then u might as well sign magloire or someone like that. U might as well sign ben wallace, joe smith or guys of that ilk.

Verse echoes the way I feel in that the team is like a rudderless ship. They should use this yr to build with the younger guys and get as many of them on the roster to move forward. Anderson is no different than cook except cook has shown he can knock down the nba 3.

1 person likes this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Well given our salary constraints and our desire to just "get by" in this bridging year, we certainly couldn't have gotten Brad Miller. My point is, Miller's never been outstanding on the boards or on D, just serviceable. And if serviceable is what this guy nets us at 2.6M a year, then the move was an unqualified success. It fulfills our two major goals of not allowing the team to go into the season with Dorsey and an assortment of PF's playing center and preserving our cap flexibility for 2010. And if it turns out that we actually got a player? Then BOOM. Morey strikes again.

Besides, from the highlights I saw, he looks more like a Biedrins than a Miller. Less bulk, probably less court vision, but definitely the height and length and tenacity on the offensive side at least to execute on screen and rolls and backdoors and clean-ups of other players' misses. I'm glad that we finally have a mobile big man above 6"9 that can run the plays Adelman draws out. It remains to be seen how much of a liability he is on D.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I just lost a lot of respect for you.

6. BarkleyHater84

I'm actually a lot more pumped about the Ariza pick up. Why isn't that being discussed in the BBS. Is it not official yet? Maybe we can get Gortat on the 15th when he's eligibleto get traded from the Tragic....err Magic. Isn't it ironic that the Magic made it to the finals before the Rockets. Are you telling me that Rashard Lewis beat T-Mac to the finals? Sad..... :(

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hopefully you're wrong, and Andersen turns out to be somewhat better than Brian Cook. The move makes sense if Andersen ends up being a guy who fits in very well in Adelman's offense at the 5-position, and going forward, can be retained as a quality backup C or, if necessary, a competent starting C. How likely is that? I have no idea, and I won't pretend otherwise. But that's the gamble the Rockets are taking right now. I don't think the Rockets feel he is a stop-gap option, like Magloire or Ben Wallace would be. More that he's a guy who they think can be a key role player on the team for many years down the road, like Scola was projected to be when we acquired him.

8. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Its on ESPN/NBA/ROCKETS.COM

I think its official.

9. leebigez

larsv8, I never thought the rockets were contenders. I never thought u could win a title or be a contender with rafer and battier playing 30 mins a night. I like the squad cuz they play hard, but they are or was small and when u depend on 2 injury prone beta males, but expect them to lead, u get what we got. The truth hurts, but its better than lying to yourself.

10. BarkleyHater84

Ok, I visited this page for the past two weeks and it wasn't on the front page, but the Andersen story is. Is Andersen supposed to help us more than Ariza. I doubt that. I heard someone mention Ben Wallace, and thats odd because Chuck Hayes at this point is WAY better than him.

11. blender

blender Member

It's unlikely that Anderson will be a starter early in the season, so our starting bigs as it stands will have to be Landry and Scola. It sounds like we're going to add one more wing, but right now our starting lineup is:

Brooks
    Battier
    Ariza
    Landry
    Scola

Second unit:
    Lowry
    Taylor/Barry
    Budinger
    Hayes
    Anderson

Yikes.

12. leebigez

durvasa, I hope izm wrong also, but I doubt it. Not to mention they're going to pay him 2.6m? At the going rate, that's probably petro and magloire combined.

13. BarkleyHater84

Yikes indeed. Lottery here we come! Thnaks Yao and T-Mac. Maybe a miracle will happen and those two guys come back torwards the middle of the season and we go on a run? Gotta have faith I guess.....

14. BarkleyHater84

LOL! You're right. How about Ryan Hollins, too. I mean, we'll see what happens, but you have a point in the meantime.....

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I watch Biedrins a bit b/c I'm in the Bay Area, and I really don't get the comparison to this Anderson guy. Biedrins is an underrated HOS. And just read his countryman's posts (thank you, Aussie Rocket).

Can leave the floor: Biedrins yes, Anderson no.
    Can shoot: Beidrins no, Anderson yes.
    I could outrun them: Beidrins no, Anderson maybe.
    I could block his shot: Beidrins no, Anderson probably.

I mean, even in those highlight videos, I am thinking my highschool mix tape showed more vertical ability. I can't imagine Anderson getting any of that weak inside crap off in the NBA. Maybe a few perimeter jumpers.

Sorry, I get the move by Morey, and I support it, but we shouldn't get too excited.

Maybe we can do another sig bet. I will bet Anderson, if he plays for Houston at all this year, will average under 10 minutes per game. Any takers?

16. GOAT

GOAT Member

dude is like Okur

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Thunder from Down Under will shock all of you haters.

1 person likes this.
  18. BarkleyHater84

Sounds about right....maybe 10-15 minutes a game, 8 points 3 rebounds. .7 blocks(by accident) Beidrins is going to be a solid NBA player for a while, actually one of my favorite players. Andersen......not so much i don't think.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't get your fascination with Magloire, frankly. He's certainly not a young player anymore, so acquiring him would make no more sense from a rebuilding perspective than this Andersen acquisition. As for Petro, like I said in the other thread, I don't think his ceiling is that impressive. I guess you hold out some hope that he can develop into a quality, starting-caliber center in time. I consider that very unlikely. And for our team, with our coach, I don't think Petro is a particular good fit compared to Andersen. Just because he's 7-feet, that doesn't mean he makes us a better defensive team. You replace Chuck Hayes with Petro, and I'm telling you we will not be as good on defense. As for offense, Petro won't give the team anything they don't already have with Scola/Landry.

Yes, Andersen may very well cost us more than Magloire or Petro. But I also think, from what I've heard and what I understand about his skill-set, that there's greater potential in what he can provide the team. Whether this was a good move or not remains to be seen. But I'm not at all concerned about us skipping over the players you've mentioned (Petro, Boone, Magloire, Wallace, Rasho, ...).

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The guy just regurgitates the same stuff over and over again, it's pretty funny when he goes into wannabe GM mode. He keeps saying the same names ad nauseum...DeAndre Jordan times [​IMG], Tim Thomas, Luol Deng, Matt Barnes, Brian Cook can actually be a decent player lol, then goes into the Shane for a lotto pick rant like clockwork.

1 person likes this.