1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stats: Ming - 1st Season Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jun 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NYKRule -
    your posts are generally good but they would be more readable if you would use the "Reply with quotes" icon. It's the last one on the right, next to the one which allows you to edit your own posts.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Thats the whole argument, the thing I put in quotes in that post stated he will have better numbers than Gasol.

And if you count Griffin, he has 4 capable scorers ahead of him. I would say he will get 11 PPG, but that would be too generous.

Back to another point--Gasol would be the #2 option on the Rockets. Its not as if he's the #1 option for the hell of it in Memphis.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Boy! It's easy to spot the Ming Haters and the envious!

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

1st Year:

7 pts
    4 rebs
    2 asts
    1.2 blks
    41% fg
    74% ft

2nd Year:

10 pts
    5 rebs
    3.5 asts
    1.5 blks
    43% fg
    78% ft

I'd be happy with this stats since he'd be in the rotation. His shot blocking will make a difference, and he will get some open looks. It'll take him a bit longer to develop a post game. Also, fouls will be the limiting factor on his playing time.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Boy! It's easy to spot the homers and the dreamers!

6. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

14 pts
    8 reb
    2 ast
    3 blk

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Sure do! Cato will get 20 and I believe Ming will get about 20. The rest will go to smaller players.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

These numbers sound realistic and I would be happy with them.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats pretty much what i say. He's way ahead of Griffin as far as competition and development and thats pretty close to what Eddie got when he started.

People talk about being dunked on and all of this, but thats only 2 pts, so what. Why would he be holding Garnett,Wallace and any other 4 in the west? Isnt that Eddie, Taylor and Cato's job? Of those people including oakley and all those other people, what will they do when he rolls into the lane , catch the ball and fire in their grill? You think Martin ,wallace or those other guys can get up quick enough to block his shot? I'll tell you what, I'm 6'4 1/2, you can put the highest jumping guy 5'10 on me, i can guarantee that he can't affect my shot in the post or anywhere on the court. Multiply that by a guy thats a pro and you get the same results. As good of a defender that Ben Wallace was this yr, I saw Duncan just turn and fire in his grill for 37pts. 6'8 to 7'0 is 4 inches, 7'6 to 6'11 or 7'0 is 6 inches. We'll see.

10. foodworld

foodworld Member

Yao Ming will probably take three seasons to adjust to NBA-level quickness. He ultimately will score quite a few points (depending on his perimeter game), but I doubt he'll make much of an impact defensively without picking up fouls, which will negate his height advantage.

Averages -

MPG: 28.0

PPG: 11.0
    APG: 2.0
    FG%: .450
    FT%: .766
    3P%: .333

RPG: 7.0
    BPG: 2.5
    SPG: .8

TO: 2.5
    FPG: 4.0

Relevant Totals -

GP: 65
    DQ: 6

FT (M-A): 115-150
    3FG (M-A): 7-21

Houson Rockets -

Record: 37-45

All-Rookie -

First Team:

Jay Williams, G (ROY)
    Dejuan Wagner, G
    Caron Butler, FG
    Drew Gooden, F
    Mike Dunleavy, F

Second Team:

Yao Ming, C
    Chris Wilcox, F
    Kareem Rush, G
    Carlos Boozer, F
    Curtis Borchardt, C/Dan Dickau, G/Juan Dixon, G/Sam Clancy, F/Chris Jefferies, F

#30 foodworld, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I predict that Yao will develope an attitude to the likes of Portland forward Rasheed Wallace and take over the Tech-lead in the NBA. He will also grab forty rebounds in a game and strip naked like Dennis Rodman wanted to. He will block Eddie Griffin in the rookie/sophomore game and Eddie will return the favor. However, Eddie will be forced to eat Yao's mom's cooking after the game(I hear she's a good cook). Franchise and Ming will hook up for the most alley oops in a season and Moochie will learn to speak Chinese, but not write it. Pho will take over as
    America's favorite food and McDonald's will try to duplicate the soup and sell it. Those noodles will get Yao Ming sick which weirdly enough leads to Shaq getting food poisoning and the Rockets will edge out the Lakers for home court advantage for the playoffs. The Rockets will make it to the second round of the playoffs where they meet the Mavericks. Ming will then compose an overture on wang zhi zhi that he has never seen before to teach him a chinese lesson(The purpose of the lesson has yet to be seen because of flappable reasons). In the conference finals, Shaq will retire to movies starring big genies in order to remain in the top 10 centers of all time. Yao will dedicate the championship to Cuttino Mobley who believed in him.

12. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

ming will probably average 6 pts a game, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 5 fouls, and 7 assists. and by 7, i mean 0.7. yao sucks. so do the rockets. go astros.

13. ClockworkOrange

Pho is the Vietnamese noodle soup, not Chinese. :)

PPG: 10.4
    RPG: 8.5
    APG: 3.0
    SPG: 1.0
    BPG: 2.3
    3PT: 30% (3 for 10)
    FG: 48.5%
    FT: 73.4%
    MPG: 20
    FPG: 4.0

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I hope that a lot of you people don't get too disapointed if Ming doesn't have the year some of you expect him to. Especially those who think he is going to shot over 60% from the field. Shaq doesn't even shot that well from the field and half of his shots are dunks. While Ming is a better shooter than Shaq no way is he going to be able to get the position that Shaq does.

The best comparison stat wise I think would be Griffin in his first year with the rockets. I'm sure most people here were happy with Griffin's first year and they are not close to some of the stats that some people here are predicting for Ming.

Griffin
    25.90 mins
    36.64 FG %
    5.70 rbs
    1.84 blks
    8.79 pts

Ming will have close to the same stats except for FG% which I think will be around 45%. And if Ming has those stats I don't think it would be a bad year because he is going to take a few years to develop and get used to the NBA game just like EG.

15. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Ming will average 11 ppg, 8 rpg, and 2.6 bpg until he breaks his ankle in mid January and subsequently misses the rest of the season.

My all-rookie team:
    Jason Williams(ROY)
    Caron Butler
    Mike Dunleavy
    Dan Dickau
    DaJaun Wagner

16. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Come on ElGrandeQueso, he'll at least make the first all-rookie team.