1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will draft Dunleavy as #1 if Ming falls through

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TroyBaros, Jun 19, 2002.

1. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Has been discussed with several players on their opinions and all have agreed if Ming falls through Dunleavy could very well be the #1 draft pick.

Another discussion was drafting Caron butler as the #1 pick as well in which the players also have agreed.

People this comes as no big suprise, Francis and quite a few of his teammates are not set on drafting Ming AT ALL.
    I broke this to you guys quite a few weeks and all doubted me.

You have to realize one thing MING is a bust RUDY is gone possibly CD and I know for a fact Steve will bolt...

Dunleavy can play ball and so can Butler, WE if you are one of the many who watch college ball like me have seen these two play.

So here is what we have: If Ming is a bust and we do not make the playoffs this is what will happen:

Rudy will be fired or ask to resign
    CD will probably be let go for this mistake.
    Francis will more than likely opt for free agency and sign with the Knicks or the Bulls
    And we are left with a China Bust and a rebuilding team with no leadership!
    YOU GUYS WANT THIS?

No matter what you people think about Francis the most important thing is keeping him happy so he will sign an extension!
    We lose Francis we lose the faith in Cat,Mooch,Griffin,and MO

Dunleavy and Butler will be all- Stars before MING ever will be.

2. writhe

writhe Member

Yes! You are correct, sir.

Ming lovers will be the downfall of the Rockets.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Troy-

Are you an insider or have some kind of access to the Rockets first hand? Why so negative with all that nonsense about Ming? We got lucky with grabbing the #1 pick and that is it. Would Rudy or CD be in a safer position if we got the #5 spot and had to grab a Nikoli Tchkovsky or what his name is?

Tell us some optimistic news if you are an insider. Cause saying that the Rockets will be destroyed just for drafting a 7-5 stud Center who may need a few years to develop makes absolutely no sense considering all the bonehead moves we (Rockets Management) have made in the past.

Lets keep it positive with the insider info...

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Troy- if Ming really is a bust, why do Rudy and CD want him so bad? Seriously, could you explain why your scouting skills are so much better?

5. Possum

Possum Member

Guess what? It's gooing to take more than a year to make a judgement on whether or not Ming is a bust. If thats how Francis really feels I could care less if he leaves. In fact I hope he does. Who needs a player with an attitude like that? We can still sign and trade him if he wants to go so its not like we wont be getting anything in return for him.

No matter what you people think about Francis the most important thing is keeping him happy so he will sign an extension!

This is BS. Havent we already gone out of our way to make SF happy? If he doesn't want to sign an extension because we didn't draft who he wanted then **** him!

#5 Possum, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Please go away.

I thought you weren't going to post anymore.

:confused:

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Can you explain to us what will happen if Ming is not a bust? Or better yet. Can you tell us what will happen if we draft Dunleavy and he is a bust or if were to draft anybody else and they are a bust?

8. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

IF Ming falls through .... I - for one - hope we don't waste a #1 pick on Dunleavy.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

TroyBaros,

Can you give us any insight as to WHY Steve doesn't want Ming? I remain convinced that Ming will contribute enough in his rookie season to change Steve and Cat's minds, but I'm a little confused now as to why Steve feels this way. I'd have thought it was a desire to win now, rather than waiting for a project. But if he'd consider Chicago (all projects plus Rose) or New York (who haven't even STARTED rebuilding yet), there must be another reason. Enlighten us poor suckers?

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Me too. Ferry, err...

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

TroyB - I'd also like to know what you think about this, which I posted earlier today. I haven't heard any Anti-Ming comment on this thread. I don't mind Anti-Ming opinions (I'm not that far removed from them). I just want them to be well reasoned.

====

I hope folks here have been around long enough to remember Kevin McHale. McHale was a nightmare skill player that could handle the high and low post. He was not a super athlete, but he could shoot the midrange j, box out for rebounds, play decent defense and be a really effective weapon.

What I'm reading about Ming tells me that he might be able to fit that mold. I was not a fan of the Smits comparison b/c he was not healthy most of the time. I know McHale had the longest arms since Plasticman, but I'll make the comparison anyway.

Being optimistic, I'd like to see Rudy coach Ming on the fundamentals of high and low post play. Rudy should see something of himself in Ming. Rudy was a tall player in his time, and could handle the high post and face up.

Barkley once said that McHale was the toughest matchup he has ever had. With the right coaching, Ming might make it near that level. McHale was all about footwork, form, up and under, half jump hook, 12 footer off the glass. That's old school scoring.

Folks might argue that the league and game has changed, and I would agree to some extent. But fundamental basketball still revolves around pick and roll, low post drop step, boxing out . . . those concepts will always work if skillfully executed.

Wait, someone is still doing it old school style in the post - Tim Duncan.

I know, Timmy is one of the best and played 4 years of serious ball and was a sure thing. But Tim is not a power player. he does not steam roll folks. He uses height, leverage, position, footwork and freakin skill to kick ass. Ming has the lower body weight to hold his position (which distinguishes him from Bradley). he should be able to bulk up his upper body.

The truth is that i wouldn't know what to do with all the time on my hands if i forfeited my right to complain, so I won't ask anyone to stop moaning about Ming becoming a bust. But the possibilities for success are there. I was calling him Yao Manute Bradley Bol Ellison Ming 2 weeks ago. I'm still worried, but let's be optimistic. After all, if he is a bust, optimism may be the only thing we get to enjoy, if only for a short while.

for now, I'll call him Yao McHale Ming.

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Oh no.......the glorified ball boy is back.

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Troy-

speak up son...don't just throw this garbage out to get people going, and then remain silent.

Explain yourself and specific details of what you have heard or whatever theories you want to justify these random statements that you threw together. If not then thats cool too.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ming would take time to develop. So when would he be declared a bust? Are RT and CD staking their futures on Ming? If they know they would lose their jobs, why go to so much trouble to draft him? Ming won't be a superstar in the first year.

So if we draft Ming Steve won't sign an extension?

Don't call us "you people." We're not some evil conglomeration. You could tone down the rhetoric a little.

Do you know for a fact that Steve would bolt? Not that I advocate trading him, but anything is possible. And I'm not convinced what you post is hearsay or the real thing.

As far as drafting Dunleavy or Butler #1: Hell no. Not necessary. Even if what you say is true, you could get a lot more value for the pick through a 2- or 3- way with Golden State, Chicago, LAC, whomever.

Just let us know you're not a relative of Steve Francis because Steve cannot hold the team hostage like he did the Grizzlies.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Hit the road, Troy. Im tired of reading stupid posts like yours.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ah yaa.

My cuz'z pops friend who works at a bar said he heard from a source ie a cell phone convo that confirms TB's stuff except for Butler being an option.

Ming, if not Dunleavy, if not Dunleavy(SF doesn't like playing with lanky white dudes, ask Danforth), Juan Dixon.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By the way...if Steve was traded for the #2 pick (I'm not saying he will be, or should be), the Bulls would probably be in the playoffs next year. The East sucks that much.

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to see Troy is still a mo-ron.

Lol, 1 year to prove themselves.

19. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

You must be kidding me. Neither one of those 2 will be automatic all stars. In fact, I'm willing to bet that Ming will be an allstar before they are.

Why? You DO know that the fans vote in the first team? Before long, Ming will be voted in before those players "earn" there way in.

You're so sure that Stevie will leave if Rockets pick Ming. That is only if Stevie doesn't respect his coaches and team he plays for. I really like Stevie and I believe he's better than that. He might not like the move but he will learn to live with it.

Heck, I'm sure Stevie never really seem Ming play. So he's basing his opinions not on facts but on a wish to play with Odom.

And NO, no one from the draft will be the savior if the vets don't stay healthy.

Did last year's ROY lift the Gizz to the playoffs? Did the year before's ROY?

You will remind me that the Odom trade would bring in a super SF and that will insure playoffs. It might, but what kind of team with Cato as your starting center will contend for the Championship?

Ming might not be a franchise player but he might be. Odom is NOT and never will be a franchise player.

Once the team starts winning some games and Stevie starts seeing that having a good center will help his game, he will like the situation and will sign long term contract.

As for Rudy. He will not be fired, not even if they don't make the playoffs. As long as they are not as bad as this year. If they repeat the year before and almost make the playoffs, that's enough.

And you are beginning to sound like ZRB!

The sky is NOT falling and yes the Rockets got the #1 pick! They also get a center and some fans from across the ocean.

Stevie will turn around and so will Mobley.

20. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

No you read wrong I said I was not gonna post till the draft.
    so YOU go away.
    It is amazing you people doubt RocketGuy when he has just about as much inside track info as I do.

People ask me on here all the time who do I know what do I know.
    well time to come clean(sorta)
    Do I know Players? Yes
    Do I associate with Players? Yes
    Do I know people in the organization? Yes
    Am I limited to what I can say about their feelings? Yes at times unless I am told to post something.
    I just give info to the fans on this board so we all can rest at ease.
    But smartasses like SirCharles I would not piss on if they were on fire....
    :D