1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wafer to Orlando?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketballReasons, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If, and thats still up in the air, he leaves why dont we look into Jerry Stackhouse? The guy is coming off and injury filled season which will mean he will be fresh and cheap so he could be a nice replacement for Von?

Thoughts?

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can not sign and trade Wafer.

3. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Wafer is not much smarter than the basketball he shoots but the fact remains he can shoot the basketball. Look at his numbers during the month where he played a great deal...he can put the ball in the hole.

IMO, he needs to be resigned to a a fair good contract. There were a few times where Von carried us for short stretches. He wants the ball, which is good. He's young and he's (hopefully) willing to learn. To have a guy that the coach can say, get to the rack and put the ball in the hole is a asset. Taylor may can do that but Von HAS done that, to a certain extent.

IMO, we need to point our finger down the court, give a head nod, and yell at him like coach, "Go Von. Go. Just go."

"Okay, coach. I go."

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

All i can say is who cares. The guy was lucky to play anyway. Injuries gave him a chance and when the Rockets offered him a low contract he refused. The guy thinks he is bigger than what he is. The guy is trash. There is an obvious reason why he was shipped and cut every time from the other teams he was on.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I highly doubt that Wafer can get along with SVG.

6. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Agree with you except the Wafer is not trash. He is a good role player. A player that can bring offense but He is over valuing himself just because of one year's performance.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

Damn I want him back

8. mazhaoling

mazhaoling New Member

J.J.Redick is better than Vafer,the same as much more handsome...............

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Last season, Wafer looked like an offense genius because Tamc was injured, Battier is a defense expert, and Artest struggled offensively in most of season. When he plays with Vince Carter, the distance will be shown. The fans will get a more objective view about him.

10. xishi

xishi Member

why would wafer go to orlando?? they got vc, pietrus, and rashard.

11. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Like that is gonna happen. :rolleyes:

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Isn't that the Magic is way over the cap and can only offer Von minimum?

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They have a small portion of their MLE remaining after signing Brandon Bass with most of it.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We can't? I thought since we preserved the MLE by signing Ariza with the DPE, we are free to break up the MLE however we want.

You're the expert so i'm not doubting you. Just curious what I am missing.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You can't sign-and-trade someone using the MLE. Typically, sign-and-trades are accomplished by the player's original team utilizing that player's Bird rights. The Rockets have no Bird rights on Wafer. Hence, no sign-and-trade.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can sign him using the MLE, yes. But you can't do a sign and trade using the MLE. See: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q76

But, we have no bird rights of any kind on Wafer.

Theoretically, we do have a non-bird exception with which we could resign Wafer, and I believe we could also use it to sign and trade him to another team. The non-bird exception allows you to bring your own free agent back at 120% of his previous salary (or the minimum salary). In Wafer's case, this is 1.06m (the minimum for a player his tenure is 885K).

So to be technically correct, we could sign and trade Wafer for a salary just above 1m. Nothing more. It would also have to be a 3 year deal (or best case scenario, 2 years plus a player option on the 3rd).

I don't see a realistic scenario in which that happens, thus no sign and trade possibility.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification, Nike and Bima. Damn, I underestimated how complicated these S&T's are to pull off.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Which is what cracks me up about when people b**** about why players are traded, not traded, etc. It often doesn't have to do with just the talent level or needs.

19. Sonn

Sonn Member

Geesh I reported this Like Soooo Yesterday, but hey I think this team would hurt by Losing Wafer and Artest.Where will the Heart come from?!

20. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Word. I think this is probably the 3rd or 4th time NIKE has had to answer the MLE S&T trade question.