1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do we even need a center? JUST SAY NO TO MING!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by watchmen77, Jun 19, 2002.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

In three years, we may be worrying how to beat Kandi and the Clippers. You can always use a good center. If there are no other good centers in the league, then all you are stuck with is a center who dominates (example - Lakers).

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>shaq will be gone in 3 years.
    after that, there is no true center in the leauge. duncen can be contained!
    why need a center? with odem, franchise, cat, plus a nother good player throught draft, add eddie, we can domiante the west after shaq left. even with cato.
    who needs a center?????/

center is a thing of past, dream, ewing, shaq are all gone, no one comes after them, yao is a big bust, he just a pipe dream of these center crazy people.
    the new kids like t-mac, kobe, odem, lebron are the ones going to dominate, center dominating the game is a thing of past!!!
    wake up people!!!

just say no to yao ming, and trade the pick for odem and another pick.
    </i>

The reason for drafting Yao Ming has nothing to do with Shaq. It has to do with our team needs. Let's think about what our team needs are and what Yao brings to the table:

1) Defense - we suck defensively. A 7'6" player with good athleticism and latteral quickness will help cover for our perimeter guys getting beaten off the dribble.

2) Shooting - we are a terrible shooting team. Yao is a great shooter. He's got range and he's accurate. It would be nice to have a guy that could consistantly knock down an 18' jump shot.

3) Passing - Yao is a very good passer. Another skill that we sorely lack.

4) Effecting how teams defense us - For the last two years teams have simply packed their defense into the lane against us to cut off the driving lanes. They sit back and dare us to shoot over the top. We're more than happy to fire up shots, but unfortunately, we're not very good at it. If we have a center that can shoot as well as Yao, then the opposing team will have to come out and guard him on the perimeter. If they don't he shoots a great percentage from the outside. If they do, then Francis and Mobley can play to their strengths and drive to the hoop. That's something that we've seen very little of since the new zone rules were implemented.

5)Work ethic - Yao is said to be a gym rat.a Yao will work to improve his game and his body. That would be a welcome change from the Cato offseason training program.

Odom doesn't make our shooting or defense any better (maybe worse). He doesn't effect how teams play us. They'll still just pack it in and make us shoot jumpers.

Tell me how Odom makes us that much of a better team, even with the #8 pick.

<i>ming is NEVER going to be as dominate as shaq. why we even need him? it is almost the same with ming or with odem, except ming has a 50% of bust in him, while odem only 10%.
    this just seems a smarter and better basketball pick.</i>

How do you define a "bust"? Nobody...let me repeat that...nobody from the NBA coaching or scouting field has said that Yao would be a bust. Everybody says the guy will be effective and a good player. The arguments are generally more along the lines of star or superstar? What's your criteria for being a bust?

I'm having trouble imagining any criteria where Odom is a 90% certainty and Yao is only 50%.

3. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Who can contain duncan?:confused:

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Anyone who thinks you don't need a good center in this league needs to pay more attention to the overall game and not just to the highlight dunks you see on sportscenter. An offense that runs through a center who is an offensive threat, as well as an excellent passer, is a thing of beauty. A good center makes the game easier for the guards and forwards on both ends of the court.

How can some of you people be so sure Ming won't be the next great center?

#24 VooDooPope, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  5. Live

Live Member

So let me get this straight.

The Rockets shouldn't draft a C because other teams don't have a C.

So, if you had a chance to buy a car, but no one else could afford to buy or own a car, you wouldn't buy the car.

Because, of course, no one else can get a car.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My head hurts!

6. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Yogi Berra? Is that you? LOL ;)

7. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

NENE is the ANSWER! not ming.

On 2002-06-19 08:18, Respect wrote:
    Most of you guys don't know whay you're talking about. I was originally from Brazil, My family still lives in Rio. Nene is already offensively skilled. He has been playing basketball, volleyball, and soccer for years. He's been playing for the Brazilian national team for 2 years, and also has a couple of pro (Brazilian) seasons under his belt where he has played against & dominated more mature men.

You guys have to pull your heads out of your asses. Nene is already much better than Hakeem was when Dream came into the NCAA with little basketball experience. He will see about 20 minitues per game in his first NBA season, and average about 8pts, 8rebs, and 2blks per game.

Don't comment on what you don't know about. The game of basketball is far more global than you realize. Just look how good Gasol and the Turkish kid in Sacramento were in their first years.

Remember, Nene is a Brazilian who finished high school 2 years ago. He is not like your typical 19 year old American high schooler who is all flash and no substance. He's been working the pro leagues for 2 years already, and physically, he is bigger than most Raptor big men & stronger than anyone else entering the draft.

Nene = 6'10", 7'4" wing span, 260lbs
    Dream = 6'10", 7' wing span, 250lbs
    Davis = 6'9", 240lbs
    Keon = 6'11", 7'2" wing span, 225lbs

everyone who ever see him play KNOW he is something special. he has low injury risk than ming, no chinese gov to pull his leg, plus he is a MONSTER! block o'nel(not shaq, the guy in the east) twice during the goodwill game, he is the THRUTH!

trade ming and we can get him with clipper's pick.

some people just so blind by this ming smoke scree they just can't see other great players in this leage. o ya, nene can be a center too.

8. Bob

Bob Member

"Why do we even need a center?"

Your probably right. We probably don't need a center. We don't have a center now and we are lottery bound. This gives us an opportunity to pick up a lottery player for years to come.

Look at all the top teams in the East that don't have centers and still make the playoffs. Of course they don't have a chance against any team in the West.

I say trade the pick to Denver, LAC, or Seattle so we don't have to compete with them for the top pick in upcoming drafts.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Somebody wake me up when all of the crappy threads are gone....

:rolleyes:

10. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

AzCkr, a '10%' chance at a bust was the context. I contend its much, much higher with his many issues. And as you pointed out injuries are a factor as well in the 10% bust column. How many drug tests do you have to fail to get past a 10% chance at a bust - 10 times? 15? How many wasted seasons due to injury?

BTW, the only reason for the 5 assists was due to the Clips system with LO with the ball in his hands often, the Rocks have a ball handler - in fact more than one.

The truth is Ming is said to have no personal problems, Ming is a high percentage shooter, Ming has a great work ethic. Ming can hit a free throw. Where does this 50% bust percentage come from?

It should be more like 60% bust chance for LO and 20% for Ming.

alright so he had a one wrist injury whats the big deal? i could understand if it was something bigger like torn ligament in his knee but its jus a wrist injury. i broke my wrist playin hockey once and i was able to play with my cast on and have been fine ever since playin hockey and thats a contact sport. also ming could very easily get injured playing downlow against the likes of shaq and kandi. so if ur gonna use injuries i think they both have just as likely a chance to be injured. i guess i really dont have an argument for the drugs i mean thats his personal decision. my hope is maybe mobley and stevie can help straighten him out. the assists jus show u that odom can handle the ball and can create for himself. he'll be a huge threat if teams try to double team stevie or cat. ming may not have any personal problems we know of but u cant say he'll be high % shooter in the nba until he actually plays. he played in a very weak chinese league that wont have close to the competition as the nba. i dont think ming is a 50% bust, more of 25% but lamar odom is definately not a bust. he proved he can play in the 2000-2001 season. if u wanna say he could be a bust because of drugs then fine give him like a 5% bust chance, but he can definately play ball theres no question.

11. tozai

tozai Member

I'm getting tired of YOUR logic about Odom. You keep on quoting the same stats again and again. If you want to point out Odom's immaturity or weed problems as reasons to not get him, then that's fine. That would be irrelevant to his skills, however.
    Would Odom fit well on the Rockets if he is over his injury and done with weed? I think so, and I'll tell you why. By the way, I'm not saying we should get Odom over Ming or anything like that, I'm just sick of you saying Odom is a bust. I wonder how many games you've seen him play. I wouldn't be surprised if it's no more than TWO.

In case you didn't know, Odom was injured last season and played 29 games. This was his THIRD season. He is 22 years old. He is 6'10 yet can play 1,2, and 3. He takes about 14 shots a game. He is a very versatile player who CAN run the break, does have exceptional ball-handling and passing skills, not just for his height, but in general. He can score from anywhere on the court, whether taking it to the hole or shooting 3's.

Let's look at his COMPLETE stats, not basically irrelevant stats from a season where he hardly played.

99-00
    36.4 MPG
    .438 FG .360 3PT .719 FT
    7.80 RPG 4.2 APG 1.20 Steals 1.25 Blocks 3.39 TO 16.6 PPG

00-01
    37.3 MPG
    .460 .316 .679
    7.80 RPG 5.2 APG .97Steals 1.61 Blocks 3.47 TO 17.2 PPG

Yep, these are definitely numbers of a bust. Look, in his second year he was averaging 17 points, near 8 rebounds,and 5 assists per a game. The 19% 3pt is irrelevant because look at how many games he played and his percentages from years past. I'm not saying 32% is good, but if you've seen him play you know he is not a bad shooter at all. Near 8 rebounds and 5 assists a game is pretty damn good, and did I mention he is still progessing greatly? HE has a ton of room to grow. HE is one of the few consistent triple-double threats along with Kidd, Francis, Davis.
    Ooh, he had 72% FT his rookie year and 68% his sophomore year, I guess it's going to consistently drop until he's shooting as bad as Shaq. Give me a break, his percentage is not great,but it isn't brutal and FT% is one of the most irrelevant stats to say how good a player is. Turnovers are bad, I'll give you that, but that can be easily improved on. He has only played two full seasons and look at his stats. Look at his GAME, have you seen him play?

In regards to his skills, already proven ability, and still great potential there is little argument. If you want to point out character problems it's another story, but stop trying to pick and choose stats, especially from an incomplete season, to prove your point. I can't believe Clutch actually quoted you on the front page. I could say Rafer Alston is a great 3 point shooter if I looked at his stats for the first 20 games of this season, but anyone who knows who he is would laugh about it. YOUR logic is the one that is weak.