1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. psk

psk Member

i laughed at the iverson idea.

2. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Wild Thing, you make my heart sing!

Yeah, T-Mac's just too fragile that you don't know if he'll ever be able show up during the playoffs.

Where's Vernon Maxwell you need him? Bring on Von Wafer and Jermaine Taylor plus Trevor Ariza!

[​IMG]

Or Ralph Sampson?

[​IMG]

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be opposed to it. He would give us some much needed scoring punch. If he came cheap, I'd probably do it.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gotta have something to entertain us this season. Just watching Adelman coach the anti-Adelman ballplayer should be worth admission.

5. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Thats what Clutch the bear is for, I guess we could put AI in the bear suit. Because I sure as hell don't want him on our court. "We talkin bout practice!"

6. Raven

Raven Member

He has the talent to win us an extra 3-6 games, which would accomplish nothing more than hurt our draft position. He'd also stunt the development of our young guys by hogging the ball. It's a stupid idea.

7. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

can we just stop talkin on AI,obviously Morey won't sign him even with the min contract!

8. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i'd say morey signing iverson is as likely as me buying the rockets. ;)

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Love ya Raven, let's gp.

10. battousai

battousai Member

how would ariza co-exist with von? they will split mins at the 2?

brooks/ariza/battier/landry/scola

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

:) but if they can get AI for the MLE then it would be a low risk move. The contract would be movable so if the team wishes to trade him, it would be easier. Though, I hope they would spend the MLE on a center and sign AI for the veterans salary. ( wishful thinking )

12. brooksrox

brooksrox Member

Iverson is one of my favorite players but we already have Brooks who will be better than him so i'll pass

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Seriously shouldnt we at least make an attempt to sign Josh childress mayyybe Parker. Chilldress/ariza would be pretty sick plus we'd have the fastest 123 in the game...I think even Anthony Parker is better

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Can he grow to about 6'11"?? cuz we're gonna need someone like that.

oh, well...this will make my son's summer VonHawk more timely.

15. xishi

xishi Member

i believe parker signed with another team.

forgot what kind of game childress had.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

AI would be a one year deal, we wouldn't risk the cap space because he would not readily tradeable.

The Center will come by way of a trade, there are no MLE quality C's out there.
    It could be Battier for a C who makes less than Battier (by 25% or to a team with a trade exception) to lower the cap number.

I love Von, every team needs an 'instant offense' player around #7 or 8 on the bench. The nights you just can't find the bucket or the D is beating your O, you put them in to just score and break up the momentum.

$3 mill for two with a team option at $2 mill for a third. A big carrot at the end of the stick to motivate him to become a valued team player. Spend some on the rookies, one of them may be good.

17. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

On this rebuilding team, why not take a chance on Von, 6 mil over 3 years sounds about right to me, especially on a guy who has a CHANCE to out play his contract.

Most likely Von is what he is and won't develop much more, if that's the case I still think he's worth it. And if he does progress, we got a steal.

18. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

ariza might have to play the 2 because we don't have any real shooting guards besides jermaine taylor right now but he really isn't a shooting guard. he's a small forward because his skillset is much better suited for this position.

ariza is not a great ballhandler, passer or playmaker. all he's got right now basically is length, athleticism and a shaky 3pt stroke. that makes him a great rebounder, a great wing defender, a great transition player and maybe a decent spot up shooter. but a good shooting guard has different responsibilities, especially if your point guard is aaron brooks.

von wafer isn't your ideal shooting guard either but at least he can create for himself and shoot the ball consistently (but no, dd, he really doesn't have HUGE UPSIDE...).

brooks/lowry - wafer - ariza - landry - scola will be a heck of a fastbreak team, though. that's an awesome line up to run, run, run. :)

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

Has any team offered Von anything at all for his services next year? His playoff meltdown might have cost him dearly. If I'm DM, I'd wait a bit, and see how White Flight, J Taylor, Buddinger, et. al. play in Vegas, before offering Von a roster spot.

20. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Dude, they dont even play the same position. Ariza is a small forward, no doubt.