1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Super Von

Super Von Member

Wow.

2. misterNguyen

misterNguyen Member

I know that somewhere, right now, DD is smiling.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I say stay away. Not because I don't like Von... I think he is a pretty good player and I'm glad he brought the energy that he did last season, but I personally think we'd be better off trying to give Allen Iverson the same deal that Memphis is trying to get him with (1 year, 5 million).

With AI, the Rockets would get the scorer they need for a one-year rental. They could start Lowry and Ariza at the 1 and 3, and bring AB and Battier off the bench. It would also allow them to evaluate their rookies without having to worry about them playing significant minutes.

I just feel that getting Iverson for a year at $5 million would be better for the Rockets than getting Von for 3 years.

4. blender

blender Member

Given the crop of UFA wings available, it looks likely that Wafer will be a Rocket again. I don't think he'll help us win that many more games, but I suppose that could even be thought of as a positive this season.

At the very least, Von can take some of the load off Ariza and Battier and give Adelman time to figure out what he has in Taylor/Budinger/White. He better be ready to play some defense this season, though.

5. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Wow it seems like we are looking like the Blazers now with all the youth and athleticism plus we have a veteran like Battier leading the team. It not too bad but the west is just restocking like crazy now and its still a question mark of whether we can compete with them

6. xishi

xishi Member

of course i want wafer back but renting iverson for a year sounds like a fun experiment seeing how we wont be as competitive this year.

7. blender

blender Member

I'd absolutely say no to Iverson. This is a season to develop our young players, and having an ISO player who dominates the ball would seriously hamper that plan. Also, having Iverson score a bunch of points could help us win a few more games, but what would be the point of that in the long term?

Iverson needs to swallow his pride and learn to be a sparkplug off the bench for a playoff-bound team (Orlando?).

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

DD created this thread with his second account. :p

9. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Man we talkin bout practice though!

10. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

worst post of thread

11. AB#0

AB#0 Member

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Agreed. Iverson would be nothing but a block to the development of our plethora of young players.

13. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

$2 mil per over 3 years... BOOK IT!

Oh, and we'll even throw in a Peak shoe deal cause Ron Ron will no longer represent them. :D

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

2 yrs 4 million sounds about right for both sides. I see us retaining von and while he drives me nuts, if we can harness some of that loopiness, he's got good potential.

Obviously a championship run without yao, t-mac, or artest, is out of the question, but I don't see how anyone could think this team won't be competitive. We are solid defensively with some darkhorses on offense. playoffs aren't out of the question.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ya but he is a scorer and we need some scoring. He doesn't play a lick of D though.

I would be up for this, but he acted like a comple ahole last season, which is why he is resorting to the Grizzlies of all teams.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

For a decent contract, I'm more than cool with Von. You need at least one character who brings a little uncertainty on the team and it doesn't hurt that he could explode (in a good way) on any given night. Von's the basketball equivalent of this guy...

[​IMG]

No thanks on Iverson... he's old and would not fit well.

17. cuddie

cuddie Member

Yet somehow, that still pales in comparison to the grammatical ineptitude shown by at least half of the posters here who call english their first language.

18. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

If he comes back as a Rocket,what about our lineups?Is that too crowded for our Guard position?

Are we gonna change the style of play into Run'n'Gun?I know Morey claimed that he's gonna try his best to find a replacement for Yao,but that ain't no easy job to do.

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We have to play run and gun, we don't have a bloody player who can draw double teams consistently.

20. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

Maybe next season we could see real Princeton,more catch & shoots,back-door plays,it's not easy to find a free agent who can replace yao.