1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So now, what do we do with the MLE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I have no problem with signing Von either.

One thing is clear though...there are no good Centers left...so a trade is the only option to fill that need with a GOOD center.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be happy signing Chase and Jermaine to a three year deal (with TO's for the third year). Other than that, I really hope we don't use our MLE for anything else. There is really no one out there that fits our team.

I like Von so if we sign him it would be nice, otherwise no big deal. I would hope we sign Chris Mihm or some other center to the league minimum. There is no one out there we should be breaking the bank for. I wish we could get Bogut to Houston (through a trade) unfortunately the Bucks will not let him go.

3. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Two Words: Channing Frye

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Marvin Williams would be very nice.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Matt Barnes would be fast, a good handle, good finisher, and an experienced fit with Brooks and Ariza. And he's got some Artest toughness in him. sign him cheap for 1 year.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Brooks/Lowry
    Ariza/Taylor/TMAC(Injury Comeback for the AGES!)
    Battier/Barnes/Budinger
    Scola/Landry
    Center via trade/Hayes/Dorsey

You could sign him for about 2 million and our new center would come via trade and I am sure another trade would be on the horizon also!

7. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

I think this is the direction we are going as well.

He wont be re-signing in Portland. He is a young big with potential. His skill set could work in the Adelman offense. Can play back up center behind Yao when and if he every comes back, and can be a spacing 4 alongside of him.

He cad be had for under the MLE.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/channing_frye/career_stats.html

http://www.channingfrye.com/blog/

8. Super Von

Super Von Member

Resign Wafer and get a Center who can rebound.

Its gonna be an ugly season.

9. Possum

Possum Member

:rolleyes:

10. xishi

xishi Member

stop mentioning varejao and hinrich people :mad:

come back wafer. you know you'll miss us.

11. jasonh42

jasonh42 Member

He's restricted, and he doesn't fill a need but IF Battier is going to be traded than yeah...he would.[/QUOTE]

I agree we should get this guy to build around.

12. FFz

FFz Member

Is it me or does he travel a lot on the fast break? Maybe hes just so fast the refs don't bother counting.

Personally I think he'll resign with us in the end because no one else will be willing to shell out money for him and he knows houston is where he will get his best opportunity to get PT and improve.

Plus if he goes anywhere else he'll have to get a new home and etc. Players hate moving unless its really worth it.

13. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

that is a nice young line up for the rockets.

14. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

i have no respect for Andy Jao. but come to think of it. Can he play center? meh. better not. he cost too muc.

15. Super Von

Super Von Member

16. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Here is a Wafer update I had not read before:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090708_rockets_ariza_yao

Updated: Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 8:04 PM CDT
    Published : Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT

....Meanwhile the Rockets' ability to retain their Mid-Level Exception opens the door for the club to possibly resign free agent guard Von Wafer.

Wafer's agent, Mitchell Butler, told FOX 26 Sports last week the Rockets had yet to make an offer to his client and it was time to pursue other options.

"It opens up the possibility," Morey said to reporters after the Ariza news conference. "I think Von would not have come back for the minimum (salary). We would have wanted him back at the minimum.

"It opens up the possibility now that we've got this exception, that we've got Mid-Level left, that we could bring Von back if it works monetarily for both sides."

Butler is glad that the Rockets are once again an option for Wafer.

"I think it's great for Von," Butler said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "He's always expressed that the Rockets are his first priority. He's tired of moving around and playing for different coaches in different systems.

"He loves his teammates, the coaching staff and the fans."

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Scorer We Can Believe In:

[​IMG]

The Wing We Need:

[​IMG]

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that would be an awful line up. I'll concede that it is fast, but there would be no defense. Brooks is a defensive liability, Wafer doesn't play defense, and Landry is constantly out of position on D. Dorsey, who can foul out while sitting on the bench, may turn in to something, but I am not willing to count on untested players. I love Scola but he is overmatched at center. I think you would see a lot of fast breaks and slashes to the rim for dunks, unfortunately I think we would see more against us than by us.

19. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

I'm curious to know who Morey is looking to sign now :confused:

20. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Re-sign Von. We're going to be upset in a couple of years if we let this kid get away.