1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Price: Refresh my memory please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The deal was actually for 7 years at the same price. Yeah, I remember that game. This was during a stretch of a few years where it only took one game to convince Rudy, CD and the Rockets to off you a lucrative multi-year deal (see Cato, Kelvin). Seriously, though, Price was a quality signing at the time and a better fit for that team than Tim Hardaway (who likely would not have agreed to a contract low enough to fit under the Rockets' salary cap) and Gary Payton (who was a pipedream for the Rockets). It is somewhat unfair to label him a "bust", since his lack of production for the Rockets was completely due to injuries and not lack of skill/talent. Had he been healthy, he would have likely been a quality starting PG for at least the first 3-4 years of that contract.

I wasn't. As much as I loved him, his contract was a critical part of bringing Steve Francis to the Rockets.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You're absolutely right about the one-game wonders that Rudy and CD loved. The issue wasn't so much with Price's dollars, but rather the length of the deal -> 7 years is ridiculous. Basically this guy was part of Rudy's now infamous "dump-in" strategy to surround Hakeem with white spot-up shooters like Maloney, Drew, Bullard, Turkcan, etc.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This brings to mind the "No VCR" joke that was popular around these parts during that era.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is actually one of my favorite topics. There were numerous reports that Tim Hardaway was waiting by his phone for the call. The real crime though was Rudy's refusal to include a pick in a deal that would have sent Brent Price to Dallas for Derek Harper. I don't know about Hardaway, but if that's Derek Harper guarding John Stockton in the final minutes of Game 6, I can guarantee you there would have been a Game 7 at the Delta Center.

5. Fatty FatBastard

I also recall that when Brent came back from the first injury, there was a rumored trade involving a straight up Price for Derek Harper trade, but we apparently didn't do it because he was actually playing well for us for a few weeks. A week after that rumor he got injured again and we were stuck with Maloney.

We should've traded him for Harper when he was a viable trade.

6. esteban

esteban Member

I love Brent, I was a big fan. I still remembered when he went down with those horific injuries, the broken elbow(arm), if I remembered correctly, he was diving for a loose ball and Amigo(Carl Herrera) landed on top of him, the ACL blow out, he was on the floor clutching his knee and called for the trainer, Barkley knew it was bad because Chuck was pounding the floor with his hand in anguish and disgust. Brent is a super guy, he does a lot ministry works!

7. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

Scotty Brooks
    Brent Price
    Matt Maloney
    Bryce Drew
    Bob Sura
    V-Span

Look at our white PG history...not that great.

Price played hard. Would've been a better choice than Maloney if he could've stayed healthy.

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

Do you think we can get him with the disabled player exception?

9. Josephduyho03

Josephduyho03 Member

The Rockets picked up Brent Price and hoping he was the Rockets starting point guard due to his three point shooting ability. He was a decent point guard with a good IQ and his shooting touch was very nice. But when the Rockets signed him, he was battling injuries and was not ready to play so the ROckets start Maloney instead and was surprised the success of Maloney and decide to keep Price as his backup from that point on end.

I remenber during one game, Brent Price was singing in front of the crowd before a game. He was a good singer.

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

He was out for most of the season with an injury (leg? knee?), but came back late in the season. The Rockets looked pretty good that year in Barkley's first season with us. That was the oh-so entertaining days of back it in, back it in, kick out, pass around the arc, shoot the 3. Brent Price came back, and I want to say he fit in pretty well and hit the open 3 for a few weeks. He tore his ACL coming up the court with absolutely no pressure. There was nobody within 10 feet of him, and he just crumpled to the floor in pain. I remember the look of disgust on Barkley's face.

Maybe he would have helped in the WCF against the Jazz. Maloney got torched by Stockton. I think we Sedale Threatt backing him up too.

At least now, we don't have to look back to that season for our playoff series victory.

11. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

BP was sick sick sick on 3s on nba live. however when youre playing 1-game exhibitions against your friends in the dorms, ACLs are irrelevant thankfully!

i do remember one of his knee blowouts...he was just bringing the ball upcourt vs van exel or someone and hst just simply took a stutter step forward and his knee went side to side. i believe i threw up my totinos party pizza seeing that (especially them replaying it after).

PS

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, how many times do Rockets fans have to say, "If only X could stay healthy..."?