1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs Sign Marcus Haislip

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BimaThug, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Now THIS is the type of move that makes the Spurs the class of the league as far as front office operations are concerned.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/49978952.html

Marcus Haislip is 6-10 and athletic, can play PF or C, and has TALENT. The dude is a former lottery pick. He washed out of the NBA because, like many young studs, his game was exposed as being wholly underdeveloped and clearly not ready for the NBA. So, Haislip took his game to Europe, cultivated it, and is now considered one of the top big men overseas. With a developed professional game and lottery pick talent, the Spurs got themselves an absolute STEAL here. Especially since he's coming cheap (the article doesn't say, but he must be signing for either the league minimum, the LLE, or a small portion of the MLE).

Sigh . . . he would have been a good signing for the Rockets. Oh, well.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, the Spurs do a lot of things right.

If Manu is healthy, they are the favorites in the west.

DD

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i agree that the spurs do things right.

but this is marcus haislip. i'm gonna wait to see him prove himself before i declare this move a win..

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I thought it was the Malik Rose and Nesterovic signings that made them the class of the league.

5. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

dont forget about scola! :cool:

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I was wondering whatever happened to Haislip. Sounds like a solid signing by the Spurs. If Haislip is legit and Blair pans out like I have pretty much guaranteed that he will, the Spurs may have just bolstered their frontcourt at the cost of literally nothing.

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

While I agree that Haislip is by no means a proven NBA commodity, this is a very low risk, high reward move by the Spurs. It's not like they're throwing the full MLE at this guy. With what he's going to get paid, if he even cracks the rotation, it'll be a "winning move" by the Spurs.

Also, this is not one of those "Let's sign Nikoloz Tsitishvili to our summer league roster because he's a former lottery pick" type of moves. Haislip was admittedly a bust, but he has actually DEVELOPED as a player. He has emerged with an entire skill set that he did not have during his last NBA stint.

Again, great low-risk move by the Spurs.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

GREAT move by the Spurs. Now they essentially got Jefferson for nothing as now Oberto and Thomas etc can be replaced at an even cheaper cost by these signings that are quite ingenius to be honest.

Love the way the Spurs do things. Now the Rockets are going to be tanking all season next season, I don't know where my winning allegiance is going to take me other than San Antonio.

Now this signing is literally high-reward, low cost. Haislip is a former lottery pick that has been producing solidly in Europe. He will sure crack the rotation to provide Timmy with his regular "rest" and he's gonna be a solid reserve before you know it at a bargain price.

Wonder where is Morey in all this. We could've really used a big man.

9. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Is it a guaranteed contract or did he basically just get a summer league spot

10. lalala902102001

I remember Haslip as a bust for the Bucks. Didn't he play in Europe for a while?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The fact that they get significant contributions from players like that through an excellent system and coaching is what makes them the class of the league. And they go and trade Rose for someone like Mohammed and they rack up the rings.

12. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/STk02KKVksk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/STk02KKVksk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know that is old, but DAMN :eek: hes too athletic to not be on a team.

13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

By the way, he did average 15.8 ppg on 55% shooting for his Spanish team. But in euroleague play he only averaged 10.8 ppg and 45% shooting while seeing the same amount of minutes.

So this isn't exactly a splash in my opinion.

14. marcolus3

marcolus3 Member

You guys really think Blair is any better than Dorsey right now?? You're dreaming.

As far as the Haislip signing, I take the Bernie Mac approach, "Believe in stuff when stuff happens". (censored)

Yeah, check out these massive and impressive stats:
    <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1712">
    HAISLIP STATS - BEWARE, THESE MIGHT BLOW YOUR MIND
    </a>
    He's definitely shoring up their interior with those numbers and all his non-NBA experience!

Someone said with Blair/Haislip, the Spurs shored up their big men for years and for nothing... are you freaking kidding me? Wake up and quit freaking out about things. Everyone forgets Scola was the MVP of the Olympic qualifiers, has won the gold with Manu G and that now Brooks/Landry/Taylor/Budinger/Dorsey/Ariza can all get tons of PT and get better... so how about that... 2 2nd rounders shoring up the Rockets 2/3 position for nothing...

<b><font color=red>Bleeding RED since 1980</b></font>

15. marcolus3

marcolus3 Member

Hey Kiddo

I can help you decide who to root for. The spurs tanked to get Tim Duncan. So if you feel the Rockets will be tanking and can't decide who to root for if they do, you might as well go join the idiot spurs fans who proudly tanked 10 years ago.

I'd rather root for a struggling team with 40 million injured that plays with heart, than a team that tanked to get their superstar to have to win.

<b><font color=red>Bleeding RED since 1980</b></font>

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree with most of what you said.. except where you said "he has actually developed" and "he has emerged with an entire skill set". That's the "we'll see" part for me.

Also, if he cracks the rotation, it's not an automatic winning move. They don't have a ton of depth up front right now. I need him to contribute something significant off the bench before I call it a win, because they could clearly go in another direction (one example being Oberto...which they might do regardless)

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

LOL at that mess of a post from whoever marcolus3 is.

I said IF Haislip is legit and IF Blair pans out the Spurs may have just BOLSTERED their frontcourt for nothing. Let's try not to struggle with basic reading comprehension here. These are two moves that epitomize the "low risk, high reward" concept that every GM strives for.

Also, check out the "2009 Draft: Biggest Steals" thead in the draft forum for an explanation of why comparing Blair to Joey Dorsey is idiotic.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

For a top Euro player, it would likely be a guaranteed contract. But the article doesn't say for certain.

SOMEONE didn't read the thread before posting. :D

Joey . . . is that you???

19. junglerules

junglerules Member

On the offensive end, hell yes. Dorsey makes Ben Wallace look like Kobe Bryant. Now, if you are talking about defense, and some toughness/ intimidation, you can probably give the edge to Dorsey.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Either that or playing alongside Tim Duncan tends to make scrubs look decent. So much so that they get signed to Cato deals by the Spurs.