1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DIME]Get off Trevor Ariza’s back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lwqbulb, Jul 4, 2009.

1. lwqbulb

lwqbulb Member

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/get-off-trevor-arizas-back/

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Haha I love how people are saying we're getting Chris Bosh. I likes!

3. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Perfect sentence. Why don't people realize this is a business and basketball careers are short so the players need to make the most out of it.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

5. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Its stupid to criticize for caring only about the money and making the mistake. All those people should take a look at the article from the Chronicle. If they handled the Lakers situation bad and he still wanted to win now, Ariza could have signed with the Cavs. Cavs were also interested in Ariza. If it was about money then he would have signed with the Raptors who offered more. I think the reason he choice the Rockets is because he knows they will be competitive and he can actually grow here. They might not be good this year but this might be what he wanted. He will have a chance to take on a much bigger role for a team.

6. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I believe you are correct. This was talked about when Carlos Beltran bolted for NY.

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Me too.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Even more so when you see how Texas is not giving out IOU's instead of cash.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I only like Bosh here if it mean LeBron tags along to fulfill their pinky swear to play on the same team in 2010

On topic, I like this article. I was a bit upset at how they blasted Ariza on that Yahoo's article.

You can see that losing Artest will put the Rockets back in the dark as far as national attention. We'll get blasted for minor blemishes, and the Barkley will treat us like we owe him money again. It was a bit fun while it lasted

10. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

No offense to the article but just like you get endorsements for being a roleplayer in LA. You get some crazy endorsements (Also lucrative shoe deals) for playing in Houston with the Chinese. Look at Battier, he's a star there now with shoe deals, Bonzi Wells and I can go on and on... Add in the fact that Ariza will play a bigger part in the team then LA.

The article guy needs to understand that the world doesn't revolve around the Lakers and aside from LA and New York, Houston is really the only other team that can give roleplayers extremely lucrative endorsements.

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

I don't know about bosh coming here if we don't have a star swingman to go along with him maybe a dwade. If we can't get both I would definitely build around dwade rather than bosh becasue I think bosh cannot carry the team like a dwade would

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

how much money are you going to get on a Chinese Shoe Deal??

13. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

In the thread about the Yahoo! article, I posted a link to a cost of living calculator. Figuring in the differences between state taxes and cost of living, an MLE deal in Houston is equivalent to getting about $11.3 million in Los Angeles.

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

according to the cnn cost of living calculator, if ariza were to make 6.6M playing and living in LA the comparable salary would only be 3.6M.

If you move from Los Angeles, CA to Houston, TX....
    Groceries will cost: 22% less

Housing will cost: 69% less

Utilities will cost: 17% more

Transportation will cost: 13% less

Healthcare will cost: 9% less

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

guess i should have scrolled down farther :D :eek:

16. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

thats why i love this city... i can travel to see whatever I want... but this is my home base

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you forgot the important one....taxes. he would basically be paying 10% more in cali.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Love this article.

Because some of the media and fans make it seem like Ariza has gone to Memphis or something. That he's gone to a team with no shot at making the playoffs, a team that doesn't care about winning.

I'm sorry, it seems the media has already forgot that this team without Yao whooped the Lakers twice in 2 playoff games.

And guess what, if Ariza does have a good season. He raises his value more. Something he couldn't do on the Laker team no matter what because he was never going to get that chance with Kobe and Pau there. Right now, with no Tmac or Yao...anyone can be the star of this team next season and raise their value for the future.

If you asked me he made the right decision. He's not 30, he's not chasing rings. He's 24 and he's chasing stardom just like every young ball player.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It can be more lucrative than the basketball contract. In Chuck's case, it was way more than his salary. It was almost 700% of his basketball salary.

Chuck Hayes got $5 mil for 1 year deal with Li Ning in November 2006.
    He was made $644,209 in 2006-2007 as a Houston Rocket.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Here's a blog post from Chuck about the chinese shoe deals, when he first signed with Li -Ning. If Rick Adelman can get a chinese shoe contract with Peak, anybody on the Rockets can get one. If Chuck Hayes get a $5 mil for 1 year shoe contract, Ariza is going to command a larger payday.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Hayes_Blog-239185-34.html